The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks vs Wild - Proposed playoff format

Rate this topic

bpow

10 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

One question I have is; If the cup is, indeed, awarded, What affect would it have, if any, on the salary cap?

probably allow it to stay flat, given the bump in tv revenue. 

• Cheers 1

This is as good of a matchup as we could have hoped for.  Out of the 16 teams in the play in round, we play the 12th best (Wild fans will be saying the same thing, as we are the 11th  best).  It also means that if we lose, we would be looking at a top 10 pick at worst if the non play in teams win the 3 lottery spots.  

45 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

One question I have is; If the cup is, indeed, awarded, What affect would it have, if any, on the salary cap?

I would think the players agreeing to this would have to have included that the Cap would not go down next season.

I like this match up. The Wild have had issues with their penalty kill and faceoffs; we have the 4th best power play %, and 2nd best face off win %.
We've never had both Boeser and Toffoli in our match ups against the Wild. Add to that, we are the younger team, and should be able to shake off the rust better.

If we play Colorado in the next series, that would be a great series.

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

all of that goes out the window when the puck drops. I think teams biggest assets are going to be who brings the most intensity to game 1. I like our chances on that with Miller and Beagle in the room. 

I think strong skaters will dominate as the weaker ones won't have time to prepare....Quinn 

Myers might struggle.

2 minutes ago, Filthy McNasty said:

Fire green!

why is loui playing over_____!

tanev injured!

should Bo really be the capt?

petey needs to shoot more 

brock is on a slump, trade him? 
fire benning!

I am sooooo ready for all this again

the anthem singer sucks!!

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I think strong skaters will dominate as the weaker ones won't have time to prepare....Quinn 

Myers might struggle.

maybe... seems like there's going to be weeks of prep time tho. 

16 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

maybe... seems like there's going to be weeks of prep time tho. 

Yea but game shape is a whole new level.

Game 70 is way better than game 1. Under normal circumstances I can barely watch game 1 of the regular season it is so sloppy.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Game 70 is way better than game 1. Under normal circumstances I can barely watch game 1 of the regular season it is so sloppy.

Lol Maybe that works to our advantage!  I believe we've had a winning record in October the last several years (3 at least)

4 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

thats true. I can see Green leaning very heavily on Edler, Hughes, Tanev and Stecher the first couple of games. We might even see a 30 minute night out of Hughes. 

Anything can happen in the playoffs. But from a historical perspective I don't want the first cup this team wins in ages to be on a year like this. I would honestly rather we loose the first round and get a top 3 draft pick. Then win the cup next season when guys like Podkolzin and Hoglander might make an appearance 

21 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

probably allow it to stay flat, given the bump in tv revenue. 

Lavoie has TV revenue at about 650M over a full season.  The NHL is around a 5 billion league - rough proxy 31 teams x 81.5M is about 2.5 billion.  Share of revenue is 50/50.  

Without completing the season losses were estimated at around 1 billion.  Players would have some 500M to pay back from their salaries.   

LeBrun several weeks ago estimated completing the season worth between 300 and 500M in revenue.  It's going to still leave them with a sizeable gap compared to a normal season.  

The salary cap could well stay flat for next season but it will be even less reflective of revenue than in the past.