The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks vs Wild - Proposed playoff format

Rate this topic

bpow

Canucks in a good position, even if they choke against the wild we still get a chance at top 3 pick, taste of a little playoffs and draft lottery odds i call it a win, but obviously go Canucks! And i feel like playing a best of 5 round could gear them up a lot better than the teams playing the round robin bye games just my opinion 

edit: Also if canucks advance we give devils our pick which will be in the 20’s, a great scenario imo winning a round of playoffs, or losing in the playoffs but still get their pick

Edited by Papa Sawce

On 5/25/2020 at 7:03 PM, Mackcanuck said:

So, will the lottery be for just the 7 teams that don't make the playdowns??

They are doing a draw with 15 teams on 26 June.  1 to 7 are the known eliminated teams.  8  to 15 are blanked and don't represent a team yet.  If during that draw the 3 top picks are won by teams 1 to 7 there won't be a 2nd draw as the top-3 picks have already been allocated among teams 1 to 7.  Teams eliminated in the play-ins will just rank 8 to 15 based on their point percentage over the season.

If any of the teams outside of the top-7 win a lottery pick then a 2nd draw will take place once the play-ins are over.  The draw will be between the 8 teams eliminated.  Odds of 12.5% for each team.  Whichever team wins that lottery will move into the lottery spot that was determined on June 26.  They'll draw this lottery as many times as teams won the lottery in phase 1. 

Edited by mll
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, mll said:

They are doing a draw with 15 teams on 26 June.  1 to 7 are the known eliminated teams.  8  to 15 are blanked and don't represent a team yet.  If during that draw the 3 top picks are won by teams 1 to 7 there won't be a 2nd draw as the top-3 picks have already been allocated among teams 1 to 7.  Teams eliminated in the play-ins will just rank 8 to 15 based on their point percentage over the season.

If any of the teams outside of the top-7 win a lottery pick then a 2nd draw will take place once the play-ins are over.  The draw will be between the 8 teams eliminated.  Odds of 12.5% for each team.  Whichever team wins that lottery will move into the lottery spot that was determined on June 26.  They'll draw this lottery as many times as teams won the lottery in phase 1. 

Not that teams would purposely lose but if you’re a GM of a team that is a long shot to do anything in the playoffs and you find out on June 26th that you could have a 12.5% of landing Lafreniere, kind of motivates you to lose no?

I know a team like Montreal and New York could use Lafreniere over a first round playoff exit.

2nd game vs Wild, no Toffoli

3rd game vs Wild, no Boeser

next game, we will have them both!

Gotta a feeling that Toffoli will be huge in the playoffs, he is going to be a difference maker to our two top lines!

Edited by Pete M
  • Cheers 1

I'd watch out for teams like Minny, NYR and Chicago who have been granted a second life, they could come to play with nothing to lose.

Minnesota have blown us out in seasons past, let's just hope the guys come ready to play because whoever wins the first game in these mini-series may just win the set. 

Minnesota's faceoffs and PK have been brutal, thats our opening in this series. If we win some powerplays and control off the draw we can really put this series away.

Underlying numbers according to Sportsnet is that the Minnesota was ranked 25th in the league when it came to giving up shots, and the Canucks were 4th in the league in shots given to the opposition.

Wild play a relatively low event game as the Canucks play a very loose run and gun game.  

The Canucks  need to clean that up, because Minny is an opportunistic team and can really strike quickly too.  Seeing how we were trending into the break, we were playing too loosely defensively and giving up way too much to the opposition.  Sportsnet Iain Macintyre also noted that the Canucks play a half court cycle game that often leaves the forwards too deep in the o-zone and leaving the defense hung out to dry.  I like our chances, but I also am concerned about our defensive structure, and Minnesota is a veteran savvy team, that they will pounce on our mistakes.

17 hours ago, mll said:

Somehow, I get the feeling that the Coilers will tank in the playdowns, lose to CHI and then win the lottery and get Lafreniere ! :shock:

8 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'd watch out for teams like Minny, NYR and Chicago who have been granted a second life, they could come to play with nothing to lose.

Minnesota have blown us out in seasons past, let's just hope the guys come ready to play because whoever wins the first game in these mini-series may just win the set. 

Minnesota's faceoffs and PK have been brutal, thats our opening in this series. If we win some powerplays and control off the draw we can really put this series away.

Minnesota was only 1pt behind Vancouver in the same amount of games.   They were last in October but have a better record than the Canucks since.

Edited by mll

7 minutes ago, mll said:

Minnesota was only 1pt behind Vancouver in the same amount of games.   They were last in October but have a better record than the Canucks since.

true, but on paper at least the Canucks are quite a bit deeper in key areas. It will be a close one but I'd much rather see the Canucks go up against he Wild than Winnipeg who seems to have their way with us at will. 

I think Calgary has the much bigger hurdle in dealing with Winnipeg.

33 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Somehow, I get the feeling that the Coilers will tank in the playdowns, lose to CHI and then win the lottery and get Lafreniere ! :shock:

if Vancouver wins it all they can have him. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Underlying numbers according to Sportsnet is that the Minnesota was ranked 25th in the league when it came to giving up shots, and the Canucks were 4th in the league in shots given to the opposition.

Wild play a relatively low event game as the Canucks play a very loose run and gun game.  

The Canucks  need to clean that up, because Minny is an opportunistic team and can really strike quickly too.  Seeing how we were trending into the break, we were playing too loosely defensively and giving up way too much to the opposition.  Sportsnet Iain Macintyre also noted that the Canucks play a half court cycle game that often leaves the forwards too deep in the o-zone and leaving the defense hung out to dry.  I like our chances, but I also am concerned about our defensive structure, and Minnesota is a veteran savvy team, that they will pounce on our mistakes.

It will honestly be a great little series.

We have poor defense, but an above average defensive-forward group, some high octane offense, and a great (but perhaps inexperienced) goaltender.

I still really like our group.

Guys like Jimothy Timothy and Cap'n Bo are absolutely built for playoffs. I know JT's playoff stats to date are pretty underwhelming, but he really needs to take charge if we're to go anywhere in this post-season. Hopefully they treat a play-in with the same do-or-die attitude and carry it over to the real thing.

I'm having a vision where Jake Virtanen has a very quiet few games, but then ends up potting in a huge goal at some point in the play-in/playoffs. Let it be so.

• Upvote 1

On 5/21/2020 at 12:59 PM, DeNiro said:

6 points is not easy that time of the year when every team you’re chasing is playing each other.

Of course they could have made it but my point is Edmonton was all but guaranteed to make it, yet they might get bounced before playoffs even begin.

My preference would be to have the teams in the wild card positions battle it out with those lower teams for those spots.

If this is what they decide I’ll be okay with it though. I would just be happy that hockey’s back regardless.

I am pretty sure it was set up this way because they didn't want to continue the regular season but they wanted to get the same number of games played to try and salvage some revenue. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

What's crazy is basically every team has the next 2 months to prepare a game plan against their opponent (if it begins in August).

all of that goes out the window when the puck drops. I think teams biggest assets are going to be who brings the most intensity to game 1. I like our chances on that with Miller and Beagle in the room.