Brad Marchand

The All-Encompassing NHL Draft Lottery Poll

Rate this topic

Polls  

108 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

A quick series of polls to gather everyone's thoughts about the 2020 NHL Draft Lottery. A brief summary:

 

  1. A placeholder team won the first overall pick in the 2020 NHL Draft. The eight teams that lose their play-in series to determine the final 8 participants in the 2020 Stanley Cup playoffs will each have 12.5% odds of winning the lottery to award the first overall pick.
  2. If the season is cancelled before the conclusion of the play-in series, the eight teams that finished between 9th and 12th in their respective conferences based on regular season points percentage will participate in the lottery to award the first overall pick, each with 12.5% odds.
  3. The Devils will receive the Canucks' 2020 first round pick if either the Canucks defeat the Wild to advance to the 2020 Stanley Cup playoffs or the season is cancelled before the conclusion of the play-in series (the Canucks finished 7th in the West based on regular season points percentage).


With all that being said, what would you like to see? Answer above.

Edited by Brad Marchand
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d like to see Montreal get him. Would be a great story and unlike a lot of Canucks fans I don’t hate the Habs.

 

Don’t wanna see Edmonton get him. They’ve had enough good fortune.

 

Canucks beating the wild is what we should all be hoping for. We need that playoff experience at some point unless we want to fall into a never ending rebuild.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd most like to see Columbus get it if Vancouver doesn't. They just lost Panarin and others to free agency, and have never seen success as a franchise other than beating Tampa. Plus they're in the east.

 

Chicago as least favourable, but that goes for any other team that's won lotteries. Picked Chicago due to recent success and being in the west.

 

Of course want to see the Canucks win. Losing to Minnesota would only be nice if the Canucks win the lotto (but we know that won't happen).

 

Definitely change the system. Should not have teams that barely missed the playoffs leapfrog the weakest teams. Should only be able to move up 5 spots, and perhaps put a limit on how often you can win 1st overall.

  • Hydration 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isles I guess. Least offensive choice I could think of.

 

Toronto. &^@# them.

 

Lose to Wild, get the pick. This cup means nothing anyways. 

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Isles I guess. Least offensive choice I could think of.

 

Toronto. &^@# them.

 

Lose to Wild, get the pick. This cup means nothing anyways. 

My concern would be that even if we won the draft lottery, if the season is forced to end before the cup is awarded we would lose that pick and have to give New Jersey the 17th.

 

That would be too much of an emotional roller coaster for me to handle. I would rather just make the playoffs and give that pick up.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would like to see him go to Montreal. They would get a superstar francophone player, and he'd look good in their colours.
If he went to Edmonton I'd be kind of pissed off, but would have to laugh. They have had enough 1st overall picks. 

I wish you didn't make the third field required. As with the Canucks or Wild thread, I wouldn't have voted. However, I could not hide my hopes of us getting Lafreniere.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EP..QH..Heck BB in the 20's! Feels like we've won the 6/49 more times lately, than the avg schmuck could hope.

 

Screw Battman's Daft Lotto, rigged deck...****ing cockaroach is a pig who don't fly straight!

  • Hydration 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Montreal.

 

Quebec boy playing for home province will bring back the old memories of Habs dynasty. As a Canadian hockey fan, it will be an interesting to follow progression of Lafreniere, following the footsteps of former great Quebecois Canadiens' players.

 

2. Edmonton and then Pittsburgh.

 

Two teams that probably benefitted the most from tanking and old draft lottery rules.

 

Pittsburgh had first overall picks in 2003 and 2005 and second overall picks in 2004 and 2006.

 

Edmonton had 1st overall picks in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2015 and 3rd overall pick in 2014. That's 5 top 3 picks in 6 years; it's insane.

 

3. Canucks to beat Wild. I think the Canucks have a good chance to make a run this year. I want to see what EP and Hughes are capable of in the playoffs.

 

4. Yes/No. I want the lottery to stay because it is the most effective defence against intentional tanking while giving bad teams better odds at landing a franchise player. On the other hand, playoff caliber teams should not be picking in the top 3. Maybe the calculation of the odds should be based on point percentage and that it should vary every season so that a team that misses the playoffs by 1 point gets close to 0% chance of winning the lottery. It should also be spread out more evenly across the bottom teams. Balancing this will not be so easy but I think it's possible.

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

My concern would be that even if we won the draft lottery, if the season is forced to end before the cup is awarded we would lose that pick and have to give New Jersey the 17th.

 

That would be too much of an emotional roller coaster for me to handle. I would rather just make the playoffs and give that pick up.

Huh why would that happen? If we lost to Minny, we are officially not in the playoffs no matter if the cup ended up being awarded or not. Thus if we win the lottery, there is no way that puck is going to New Jersey as we are not a playoff team per the NHL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 24K PureCool said:

Huh why would that happen? If we lost to Minny, we are officially not in the playoffs no matter if the cup ended up being awarded or not. Thus if we win the lottery, there is no way that puck is going to New Jersey as we are not a playoff team per the NHL.

If the season ended the next lowest 8 teams would qualify for that pick.

 

We would be considered a playoff team by points percentage and therefore have to give up our pick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If the season ended the next lowest 8 teams would qualify for that pick.

 

We would be considered a playoff team by points percentage and therefore have to give up our pick. 

If the season doesn’t go ahead the 8-15 spots will be allotted you points percentage.  Vancouver wouldn’t be in the lotto, they would be considered to have made the playoffs and the non lotto pick would go to NJ. 

 

If they manage to complete the play in round then the losers on the play in round will be included in the lotto.  If Vancouver loses they’re in the lottery and keep their pick. If they win they’re considered to be in the playoffs. They’re not in the lotto for 1st overall and surrender their pick 

 

In no situation do they surrender a lotto pick 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If not the Canucks, I would be happy for the Winnipeg fans to get a player like Lafreniere. The Jets haven't had a winner since the WHA days in the 70s and the Avco Cup. They've never been to a Stanley Cup final. They need something good to happen. 

 

Least happy to get the 1st would be EDM for me. They've gotten too many 1sts already and they're in the Canucks division.  

 

My hope is that the Canucks get past MIN and keep the train-a-rollin'. Playoff hockey will be valuable for the youngens.

 

As for the lottery format, I would be fine with it being the worst team getting the 1st and the best team picking last, like before. Except, after a team gets a 1st, they're no longer eligible for the 1st for 3 years.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Only a handful of bottom teams should be going into the lottery 5 max.

Edited by Mikeyboy440

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

If the season doesn’t go ahead the 8-15 spots will be allotted you points percentage.  Vancouver wouldn’t be in the lotto, they would be considered to have made the playoffs and the non lotto pick would go to NJ. 

 

If they manage to complete the play in round then the losers on the play in round will be included in the lotto.  If Vancouver loses they’re in the lottery and keep their pick. If they win they’re considered to be in the playoffs. They’re not in the lotto for 1st overall and surrender their pick 

 

In no situation do they surrender a lotto pick 

Not true.

 

The next phase of the draft is done after the play in rounds.

 

If Vancouver loses the play in round and wins the lottery, they would have to surrender that pick if the season were cancelled at any point after that.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Not true.

 

The next phase of the draft is done after the play in rounds.

 

If Vancouver loses the play in round and wins the lottery, they would have to surrender that pick if the season were cancelled at any point after that.

This is about as Bush league as it gets omg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reason I chose Toronto as the least to see get 1st overall over Edmonton is, we've seen how bad the Eastern Media has been with the Raptors and with the Leafs getting one first overall player. Can you imagine the hype and non stop media coverage if Laffy was a Leaf? I'm getting sick just thinking about it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mikeyboy440 said:

This is about as Bush league as it gets omg.

Could you imagine winning the lottery only to have it taken away a month later?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I would rather see no lottery at all.  Let the teams pick in the order that they finished in the standings. If a team tanks to finish last, so be it.  It damages a teams culture to purposefully play poorly so it's a foolish strategy.

Edited by Crabcakes
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Could you imagine winning the lottery only to have it taken away a month later?

Lol instant rage quit imo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.