The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Unpopular take, I never got the Ballard hate.

Rate this topic

CanadianRugby

Watching the 2011 playoffs.  Daaaaamn that team was good.  Anyway, watching Ballard play.  I think he's playing his role ok, and he's physical.  

Only later, when Kesler, Erhoff and Edler were messed up.  Rome suspended, Maholtra and Hamhuis out, that guys like Ballard were asked too much defensively.  

Update: wow I thought everyone was gonna disagree.  I guess it was mostly just AV that hated him. 

Edited by CanadianRugby
  • Like 2
  • Vintage 2

35 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

It was that bad hip injury, 2010 he had surgery after a stress fracture and to remove a cyst. Otherwise I think he would have stayed longer.

This.

Hip surgery takes like 1-2 years before it gets back to "normal".  I think BMO had surgery one year and his stats dropped quite a bit the year he came back.  

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Loved Ballard.  Skated well, threw a few hits, was willing to drop the gloves to defend teammates, and never complained about his role.

this.  He was also ok playing the bottom pairing and not play high minutes as long as the team was winning.   Dude also have good hockey iq, and puck possession game.  It's unfortunate that this type of player for whatever reason A.V doesn't like, right now Shayne Gostisbehere seems to be the latest  victim.

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Loved Ballard.  Skated well, threw a few hits, was willing to drop the gloves to defend teammates, and never complained about his role.

Yeah I didn’t like him as a player for us but he put the team ahead of his ego.  NEVER complained about his scratches (at least not publicly), never demanded a trade.....basically just kept his mouth shut.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

2 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

I think we traded for him before we signed Hamhuis. Once Hamhuis signed in free agency, Ballard lost his potential spot in the top 4. Also, his injuries.

Pretty much that. The injuries really derailed his time here and he was moved to depth once we acquired Hamhuis. He was a decent enough player who was paid too much and never really found his footing here.

53 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Probably a more unpopular opinion:

We won the trade.  Ballard gave us some quality minutes, albeit overpaid and in a lesser role.  Grabner got waived after camp, Bernier lasted one season in FLA, and Howden was a bust.

It was a crap trade but sometimes trades turn into not much for either side 

If I remember correctly we brought him in before we signed Hamhuis, getting Hammer as a ufa was never guaranteed. I'm not sure they really knew what to do with Ballard after that. Injuries and being in AV's doghouse certainly didn't help his case either.

I remember him as a good teammate, and an entertaining character guy. Despite the $&!# he got I don't recall him complaining. Though it could be that my memory of what went on back then is a bit spotty. 

I don't hate Ballard, just didn't like the deal in general. We traded a 1st round pick, a depth roster player and a decent prospect for a player we eventually use the compliance buy-out on. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, he never got out of AV's doghouse, which made it a lot worse. I would've prefered resigning Willie Mitchell and the bring in Dan Hamhuis instead. The first round pick should've been packaged to get another top 6 scoring winger.