The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Virtanen showing immaturity once again.

Rate this topic

cuporbust

We have some pretty noble, mature-beyond-their-years characters on this team... but Jake is not one of them.

He's not the sharpest tool in the shed, but we already know that... he's too easy a target.

I don't really mind it so long as he shows up to camp in shape and ready to rip.

I was more impressed with the Leipsic shade he threw with his #worstcrewever hat. Hilarious.

• Cheers 1

I find this very amusing. Opinions are like @$$holes... everybody has one. I tried to avoid threads like this because of it. No body's going to convince you that their opinions are right and yours are wrong. Take care of your own the way you chose best, let others do the same.

• Cheers 2

Covid has changed everything, restaurants and bars are open now and to be honest the way many are being run is NOT how Dr. Bonnie announced. I work in that industry and have seen booths side by side full all over the place...there is what a 6'; piece of glass on top of some of them...whoopie if your close to 6ft tall or so your basically at that height sitting down. Personally, I have only eaten out once and it was quite uncomfortable to see that each booth was full in both rows side by side...that clearly isn't what Dr. Bonnie was suggesting.

As for Jake, its unfortunate that media and fellow BCer's take their phones out and snap any familiar celeb or athlete and post it online...but that is today's new world, so many people are going to continue to live their life and when things open up they are going to go out and enjoy those places....

Does your co worker or friend get publicly humiliated for gong out again now that things are open, no! But a local young adult who plays for the Canucks does. Is it a good look for him? Of course not, but it is only going to hurt him via how his teammates feel about what he chooses to do or how management sees how he conducts himself.

Do I think Athletes should be locked indoors and never be allowed to go out, no as that isn't fair they are human too! Does it look good like in this case for Virtanen...NO it doesn't of course. Vancouver media is relentless and if they can ever get anything like this on there hands they will gladly make a big deal about it. Any Canuck who would be caught doing this right now should all get treated the same. I don't care if it is Jake, Petey, Bo etc etc. They are trying to get ready for a play in series and then compete in the playoffs for the Stanley Cup. Would it be so difficult for a Millionaire athlete to NOT partake in these sort of activities until after we are eliminated or if the season gets cancelled...

Ideally, Jake would have waited until after the Canuck season was officially done before going out and doing this, as yes it will look bad on him. But to say he is a Villain for doing so and should be shunned by fans or the team...well that is a personal opinion for each individual.

Personally, the best thing for Jake is to probably be traded and get away from the SPOTLIGHT of being a hometown former 6th overall draft pick. Problem is, if JB does look to trade him, it better be for a good return... 

• Cheers 1

Jake’s a meathead but he’s our meathead. I don’t mind this at all... if anything, I hope this attitude continues to transfer on to the ice for the Canucks. He made some big strides this year and I’d love for it to continue and skew towards the reckless.

Need a little renegade on this roster. 

• Cheers 3
  • Huggy Bear 1

4 hours ago, coho8888 said:

again the comparison with eating at a restaurant and Clubbing at a nightclub.  Two very different things.  Sure no guarantees of social distancing at both but not really fair to compare the two.  

Were the 4 infected at Brandi's sure they didn't have it?  Could have potentially caused a larger outbreak setting us back.  

you have the same chance of getting covid  whether you are at a club or eating a meal ,  there is no difference . 

you are in enclosed area. same amount of people,  touching the same door , touching the same sink in the washroom , the cook or bartender could have covid, you just don't know.

You could get covid from a getting a haircut , getting a pedicure, going to the store ,pumping gas .  so there was a outbreak at brandi there was an out break at Mcdonalds, out breaks at construction sites, outbreaks at condos  different venues  same virus.  See the source image

• Upvote 1

Just now, the grinder said:

you have the same chance of getting covid  whether you are at a club or eating a meal ,  there is no difference . 

you are in enclosed area. same amount of people,  touching the same door , touching the same sink in the washroom , the cook or bartender could have covid, you just don't know.

You could get covid from a getting a haircut , getting a pedicure, going to the store ,pumping gas .  so there was a outbreak at brandi there was an out break at Mcdonalds, out breaks at construction sites, outbreaks at condos  different venues  same virus.  See the source image

No, usually I don't get up and dance and yell and sing at restaurant but nice try.

1 minute ago, the grinder said:

ya nice try your self  , its no different  you can get covid from anywhere , just not a club  

I'll just let others explain to you what the differences are.  Im too tired to do that.  If you feel its ok to go to a club with your friends then go ahead.  Its your choice.  We all have a choice.

40 minutes ago, the grinder said:

ya nice try your self  , its no different  you can get covid from anywhere , just not a club  

So yes, you can "get covid from anywhere" and thanks for confirming that as it really helps our argument more than yours.

So, in knowing that you can get it anywhere, it's about eliminating the risk as much as possible.  Avoiding places where it could be spread more easily.  Especially if you're about to be bubbled with a team, some of whom have very vulnerable family members.  It's about being responsible and the irresponsible person goes "oh well, gonna get it anyhow...it's everywhere".  

You try not to (get it)....you don't use it as an excuse to drop your guard and possibly put others at potential risk.

They've had to open up for the economy's sake but it doesn't mean it's business as usual...anything but.  And it still requires social distancing and masks.  So there's no excuse to just abandon those things - especially if it's to hit the club (which isn't really a "necessary" outing as some others are).

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

Just now, coho8888 said:

I'll just let others explain to you what the differences are.  Im too tired to do that.  If you feel its ok to go to a club with your friends then go ahead.  Its your choice.  We all have a choice.

ya ok   if you feel its ok to go eat at restaurant with your friends go ahead  , the  same rules  apply  to clubs . lounges and pubs , so its no different according to worksafe ,  

2 minutes ago, the grinder said:

ya ok   if you feel its ok to go eat at restaurant with your friends go ahead  , the  same rules  apply  to clubs . lounges and pubs , so its no different according to worksafe ,  

Let's face it...most people in a restaurant are stationary and with one group...they aren't up and about, mingling.  It's quite different. 

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Let's face it...most people in a restaurant are stationary...they aren't up and about, mingling.  It's quite different.

I doubt that many go to a club for their great food (if they provide any) and high priced watered down drinks.  

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, the grinder said:

Eating fulfills a biological need, and restaurant workers are better trained regarding proper hygiene thanks to FoodSafe.  I personally think this should be handled behind closed doors instead of piling on, but Jake would be doing quite a few extra sprints if I was the coach.

• Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

So yes, you can "get covid from anywhere" and thanks for confirming that as it really helps our argument more than yours.

So, in knowing that you can get it anywhere, it's about eliminating the risk as much as possible.  Especially if you're about to be bubbled with a team, some of whom have very vulnerable family members.  It's about being responsible and the irresponsible person goes "oh well, gonna get it anyhow...it's everywhere".  

You try not to (get it)....you don't use it as an excuse to drop your guard and possibly putting others at potential risk.

They've had to open up for the economy's sake but it doesn't mean it's business as usual...anything but.  And it still requires social distancing and masks.  So there's no excuse to just abandon those things - especially if it's to hit the club (which isn't really a "necessary" outing as some others are).

yep you can get covid from anywhere , but the government/ worksafe has set guideline so it is apparently "safe" ,  .  Is going out to eat  at a restaurant necessary ?  no but apparently that's ok .  so if a nightclub is operating under the same rules , it should be ok ? right ,  just saying going to a night club or going out to a restaurant is the same risk ,  I personally wouldn't be going out to those places  but again I am not 23 year old anymore lol

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Eating fulfills a biological need, and restaurant workers are better trained regarding proper hygiene thanks to FoodSafe.  I personally think this should be handled behind closed doors instead of piling on, but Jake would be doing quite a few extra sprints if I was the coach.

then please explain the break out at Mcdonalds then  ?

25 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Let's face it...most people in a restaurant are stationary and with one group...they aren't up and about, mingling.  It's quite different. 

what about the cooks and servers  are they stationary ?  aren.t they mingling with each other  ?  then delivering food to people   ?  are the servers washing their  hands after touching each plate of food? ,  what if one in the group has covid  and doesn.t know ?  Mcdonalds had a employee with covid   so is it really different  ? not really 

2 minutes ago, the grinder said:

then please explain the break out at Mcdonalds then  ?

At no point did I suggest that restaurants are completely safe, and calling McDonalds a restaurant is really stretching the boundaries of the definition.  It's all about probability and staying away from avoidable risks.   Personally I'm avoiding everything except the grocery store.  All other shopping is being done via Amazon.

At the end of the day, it's a minor issue, similar to missing a curfew on the road.