The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Virtanen showing immaturity once again.

Rate this topic

cuporbust

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

Jake is a favourite of mine, either way.  

I think he has HUGE potential but perhaps this is just an example of how, as a young guy, his priorities maybe aren't completely focused on hockey in a live, breathe, eat, sleep it way?  Maybe there is a bit of immaturity in the big picture of it all?  Hey look, I don't blame a young guy for wanting to lead a "normal" life but hockey at this level requires dedication, commitment and discipline.  Just as Zack found out, it's hard to have it both ways.  To lead the party life and also be at the top of your game.  Some can/do, sure.  But it's definitely more advantageous to be "all in" when you're playing at this level and if you truly want to be the best, you have to make sacrifices.  Or...you can dabble.  I mean, Petey's out there honing his craft...if a guy like him feels the need to always work harder to get better, it's a good example to draw from.  Jake is making strides in his game but could he progress more/quicker if he adopts an all in mentality?  Joins his team rather than hanging with his "crew"? 

I want him to be awesome out there and he's on the cusp...would hate to see him distracted as he shoots for the stars.  Get on it, Jake...set your eyes on the prize.   Then celebrate...in due time.

I have a nasty feeling he'll get traded and figure it out once he's away from his "crew" and bonds more with his teammates.  I don't think it's best for the team to trade him but it might be best for Jake.  Alternative is he settles down with a woman who keeps him in check a bit.  Most guys like this don't figure it out on their first team, especially when they're playing at home near their friends.

I hope I'm wrong.  I like Jake a lot and want him to succeed here.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

I have a nasty feeling he'll get traded and figure it out once he's away from his "crew" and bonds more with his teammates.  I don't think it's best for the team to trade him but it might be best for Jake.  Alternative is he settles down with a woman who keeps him in check a bit.  Most guys like this don't figure it out on their first team, especially when they're playing at home near their friends.

I hope I'm wrong.

that's a good point.  All our other young guys, Elias, Quinn and Brock are away from their friends during the season.  Less distractions.  

5 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

I cant believe some of you. Lay off Jake.

We all go to grocery stores and breath the same air. Gtfoh!

This nanny state covid has created is more deadly than the virus. I never wear a mask, I dont social distance and I think this is all a joke to be honest.

Hate on me, lay off Jake or like others have said. Free agents arent going to want to play here in snowflake city.

Pavel, everyone is entitled to their opinion; however what your problem is the lack of responsibility. You say this is a nanny state - for what purpose?

I've talked to a few conspiracy theorists and they generally have little evidence to backup their entrenched opinions. They all say they have looked into this issue but cannot explain various things.

Going back to the issue of responsibility. You are free to do whatever you want, so long as it is limited to you. When and if you get other people involved, that is on you. That is why we socially distance. We do it for other people. If you can't extend that courtesy to other people, screw you.

I hate masks because I think it's overkill; however I will wear them if I am in an extremely crowded environment. I socially distance because there is no need to take unnecessary risks. Covid 19 is real. Some morons in BC decided to hold a 30 person party and half of them are covid cases.

We live in an educated society. You have tons of resources at your disposal. You have a responsibility not to be so naive. If you don't care, you can go die alone somewhere so people don't have to deal with your selfishness and ignorance

• Cheers 3

well i guess all of you that are pissed should just stay home and rot there. since that's probably the best way to not get infected. don't go to the mall don't go grocery shopping don't do anything just sit home and rot. then you are guranteed to not be infected. plenty of ppl don't practice social distancing at the mall and plenty don't practice at the grocery so those places ain't safe either.. so please stay at home and continue to get pissed over what other people do with their lives. if you guys are so worried about ppl testing positive here and there.. then might as well just cancel the season.. sports is not neccessary during a pandemic.

Posters who are boiling it down to whether it's legal or illegal are either willfully choosing to ignore the main points people are trying to get across or they simply don't understand the posts. 

If it were video of Evander Kane getting caught clubbing during his team's preparations for a pandemic bubble tournament, I don't think CDC's reaction would be the same. 

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

I cant believe some of you. Lay off Jake.

We all go to grocery stores and breath the same air. Gtfoh!

This nanny state covid has created is more deadly than the virus. I never wear a mask, I dont social distance and I think this is all a joke to be honest.

Hate on me, lay off Jake or like others have said. Free agents arent going to want to play here in snowflake city.

A nanny state is only necessarily because of harebrained 'muh freedom' dumbasses, ie. clowns who think they are 'rebels'. In normal circumstances no one would pay them any attention, but now these people feel empowered because their actions have direct and disastrous consequences on others. Its a nirvana for these assholes looking for attention,

Edited by Toews
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

We the general public have no idea the severity of this incident. It could be nothing or it could be the straw that breaks the camels backs and gets virt shipped off to Ottawa in a package with “the little things”.

It all depends when the Canucks were expecting Jake to report for phase 2. If it was arranged to be a day or 2 after clubbing then he is in big $&!# because that would have nullified any covid testing as it takes a few days after exposure to show up on a test. So there is where a possible issue would lie.

if this didn’t make it to the public and Jake was suppose to report for testing shortly after and then possibly exposed his teammates because of his recklessness.

im sure all players were told by the Canucks to be good boys in the days prior to reporting for phase 2 for this very reason.

9 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

I never wear a mask, I dont social distance and I think this is all a joke to be honest.

Be prepared to get throttled then because there are folks out there that won't tolerate such idiocy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

17 hours ago, coho8888 said:

I don't know why its so hard for some here to understand what the point some of us here are trying to make.  The issue is not that he went to a club.  Its that he went to a club during a pandemic on the eve of the opening of training camp to restart the season.  No one said he broke any laws here.  Some here said that it was a poor choice to make.  We are all entitled to our opinions.  I don't want him traded, I want him to succeed.  I support him in his career but in my opinion he made a poor choice in this instance.   Yes there are risks to everything we do.  You just have to question whether they were necessary.

Then the team should make a policy. 

what gives anyone the right to judge someone who made a decision Whether you  agree with it or not let alone write an article villaininizing him..

he didn’t do anything that was against ANY rules regulations or policies. 
the airlines that have had cases recently FYI more than this club so should players not fly during a pandemic. 
I wouldn’t go to a club or fly and I wear a mask but that doesn’t give me the right to judge others Who do Or do not unless rules laws team policy has broken.

Your right it’s a pandemic and there’s risks kinda like the risk of putting a season back on with staff players refs hotel staff restaurant staff all in Cities that Don’t have everything under control. But yeah going to a club.

Curious where did Mathews ACTUALLY get covid from I didn’t see any hateful articles about his personal life or any of the other players who’ve tested positive. 

Edited by Tracksuit
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

11 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

The beach is outdoors...it's a much safer environment overall.

Absolutely it is, the slightest breeze dissipates aerosolized particles very quickly, and there is usually much more than a slight breeze at the beach.

So I feel way more comfortable at the beach, even with no masks and sometimes limited social distancing, than I do fully masked up inside any similarly crowded space, ie: Costco, T&T supermarket, any bar or restaurant, or even an elevator with another person in it.

Yet I have seen and heard plenty of criticism of those of us who go to the beach. And of course when Jake goes to the beach and someone posts a photo, you can be sure that many people will take the opportunity to dump all over him. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Tracksuit said:

Then the team should make a policy. 

what gives anyone the right to judge someone who made a decision Whether you  agree with it or not let alone write an article villaininizing him..

he didn’t do anything that was against ANY rules regulations or policies. 
the airlines that have had cases recently FYI more than this club so should players not fly during a pandemic. 
I wouldn’t go to a club or fly and I wear a mask but that doesn’t give me the right to judge others Who do Or do not unless rules laws team policy has broken.

Your right it’s a pandemic and there’s risks kinda like the risk of putting a season back on with staff players refs hotel staff restaurant staff all in Cities that Don’t have everything under control. But yeah going to a club.

Curious where did Mathews ACTUALLY get covid from I didn’t see any hateful articles about his personal life or any of the other players who’ve tested positive. 

Teams have policies that protect their interests.  It might not specifically say you can’t go to a club but it may state that the player should not engage in any extracurricular activities that pose an increased risk of injury to the players, the public or teammates.

Do we have a right to judge someone?  Good question.  Hard to answer.  If you go to a restaurant and your food is not to your liking, do you have the right to say something about it?  Jake is employed by the Canucks but ultimately it’s the fans that support the team by buying tickets to the game, merchandise etc..  If the player did something that could have jeopardized the success of the team are we allowed to comment on it?

As for Matthews, I don’t know of any pictures where he was caught drinking at a nightclub or bar.  Arizona has a 30% infection rate right now.  He could have picked it up anywhere.  Maybe even walking down the street.

24 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

Teams have policies that protect their interests.  It might not specifically say you can’t go to a club but it may state that the player should not engage in any extracurricular activities that pose an increased risk of injury to the players, the public or teammates.

Do we have a right to judge someone?  Good question.  Hard to answer.  If you go to a restaurant and your food is not to your liking, do you have the right to say something about it?  Jake is employed by the Canucks but ultimately it’s the fans that support the team by buying tickets to the game, merchandise etc..  If the player did something that could have jeopardized the success of the team are we allowed to comment on it?

As for Matthews, I don’t know of any pictures where he was caught drinking at a nightclub or bar.  Arizona has a 30% infection rate right now.  He could have picked it up anywhere.  Maybe even walking down the street.

As far as I've heard hockey players across the board are going out in public and basing their decisions on the regional protocols and rules around them. Jake is no different. Only A$$holes bring it up just to ... well ... be a$$holes.

For me, once he gets tested he can either play or not play depending on whether or not he tests positive. It's his own decision and as a 23 yr old he's only hurting himself if it turns out he can't play NHL hockey because he chose to go see pretty girls and have a beer. it's his decision not anyone else's. If that's how he sees it and that's the decision he made I don't see how anyone can appoint themselves a care giver and authority figure/Covid expert.

I'm not young anymore but I can realistically understand his point. Going out and living your life vs the small chance you will contract Covid, factor in the invincible self belief and you either get a tiny bug you can kill off as a high profile athlete, or sit in your apartment watching others have fun when you're faced with possibly 2 months in a tight bubble. I would most likely do the same calculation and proceed similarly.

See you at Celebrities. Horrible name for a bar by the way.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

Yes, if and when "the food is not to your liking" (ie: his on-ice play is not acceptable) you would absolutely "have the right to say something about it."

But criticizing the cook because of the way he dresses on his days off is not nearly as reasonable, nor is putting Jake under a microscope looking for some pretext to vilify him.

As for Matthews, who actually has become infected (unlike Jake, as far as I know), if you really believe that there is a significant chance he caught it walking down the street, maybe you should do some research into how this virus tends to be transmitted.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Yes, if and when "the food is not to your liking" (ie: his on-ice play is not acceptable) you would absolutely "have the right to say something about it."

But criticizing the cook because of the way he dresses on his days off is not nearly as reasonable, nor is putting Jake under a microscope looking for some pretext to vilify him.

As for Matthews, who actually has become infected (unlike Jake, as far as I know), if you really believe that there is a significant chance he caught it walking down the street, maybe you should do some research into how this virus tends to be transmitted.

I would criticize myself for going to the restaurant in the first place. ::D

48 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Umm, yeah right.  So if Jake gets himself infected and cannot take part in training camp wouldn't that have an effect on the team's performance? 

As for Matthews getting infected while walking down the street.  Well, look up "Sarcasm" in the dictionary.  I know full well how this Virus gets transmitted.

Someone starts this thread about Jake putting himself in a risky situation at a Club and we all comment on it.  But somehow it gets construed as us vilifying him, hanging him out to dry, having a hate on for him.  You can disagree with my opinion that he made a bad choice by going to a club but don't ever accuse me of trying to vilify him or not supporting him.  As I've said in past posts, I very much like the way he plays on the ice despite this perception that he hasn't lived up to his expectations.  I want him to succeed.  He is exactly the type of player we need to do well in the Playoffs.  

Edited by coho8888
  • Cheers 1