The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Virtanen showing immaturity once again.

Rate this topic

cuporbust

36 minutes ago, Pears said:

Hughes goes to eat at restaurants that can be pretty packed at times but you don’t hear any uproar over it. 

People need to eat.

People don't need to go to a club with scantily clad women prancing around.

• Thanks 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Actually NHL players will be tested daily and before any contact with teammates. 

So he is less likely to spread it to teammates than the general public would be to coworkers.

The more NHL players that get the virus the more fear there will be among players and executives that could lead to the canceling of the season. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

I don't have a problem with Jake going out for and evening with his buddies.  I haven't seen the video, so I have no idea if he was social distancing or not.  If that is an issue, then the club should be investigated for not applying the proper restrictions.  

I agree with Wildcam  regarding him being in shape and prepared for the playoffs though.

21 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

People need to eat.

People don't need to go to a club with scantily clad women prancing around.

But again, he isn’t breaking any laws so I don’t see why people need to be so upset about it. 

I got a warning once talking about JVs partying and off ice shenanigans.  I was told it was salacious gossip and would be an offence to speak of it.  This is when he was coming in out of shape. Is it cool now?  lol

Edited by Screw
spelling
  • Haha 1

Jake and social media just doesn't mix very well.

Regardless of whether the criticisms he gets is justified or not, he tends to draw attention to himself through social media.  For a player that has had several narratives cloud around him this past season, he should just lay low on social media. 

People are out to get him which is pretty sad and pathetic, but he certainly doesn't do himself any favors.

• Cheers 1

Any reports of him pumping weights, doing squats, running up hills, shooting targets with his wrist, snap and slap shots, skating sprints???

Need some balanced reporting here....ffs

Edited by Pete M
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

If you think that no other young single players are going out to bars or clubs during this time you are sadly mistaken.

People are jumping on him because of his past and nothing else. If this were Boeser or Hughes no one would even bat an eye. That’s where the hypocrisy comes in.

He will be tested well before he comes in contact with teammates. If he got infected well then he will quarantine for two weeks like any one else. 

I guess we should assume every player that tests positive for Covid was being irresponsible too.

if it was Petterson, Boeser or Hughes  going to  bars or clubs, i am sure there would have been videos of it out there, but since there isn't,  well....

2 minutes ago, bree2 said:

if it was Petterson, Boeser or Hughes  going to  bars or clubs, i am sure there would have been videos of it out there, but since there isn't,  well....

Oh I can guarantee you if it was either of those three the uproar would be minimal if not non-existent. It’s only a story because it’s Virtanen. 

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Actually NHL players will be tested daily and before any contact with teammates. 

So he is less likely to spread it to teammates than the general public would be to coworkers.

The team is already skating together and the daily testing isn’t a rule yet.

Testing is also not that accurate early in the virus when you are already contagious... 20% false negatives. (Keeping in mind 50% false results is as bad as you can get since that is just random).

He can have the virus, get tested with negative results, and pass on the virus for days before testing positive.

Now is the time to be bearing down and not taking unnecessary risks... he hasn’t had to practice or skate for months.

On top of all the virus stuff, if Miller is sene out partying... it is fine, he shows up on the ice every day.  Virtanen has struggled for 5 years with not showing up on the ice regularly and being unprepared.  

I don’t recall all the shots of our other going players out partying.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Pears said:

Oh I can guarantee you if it was either of those three the uproar would be minimal if not non-existent. It’s only a story because it’s Virtanen. 

sorry i don't buy that,  Jake  has been in this league for 5 years and it is time he grew up.  and it would actually cause more of a uproar because they are stars.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

The team is already skating together and the daily testing isn’t a rule yet.

Testing is also not that accurate early in the virus when you are already contagious... 20% false negatives. (Keeping in mind 50% false results is as bad as you can get since that is just random).

He can have the virus, get tested with negative results, and pass on the virus for days before testing positive.

Now is the time to be bearing down and not taking unnecessary risks... he hasn’t had to practice or skate for months.

On top of all the virus stuff, if Miller is sene out partying... it is fine, he shows up on the ice every day.  Virtanen has struggled for 5 years with not showing up on the ice regularly and being unprepared.  

I don’t recall all the shots of our other going players out partying.

nope.  other players are doing this:

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/vancouver-canucks-canucks-report/c-317302768

Don't think Jake has joined the team yet even though he didn't have to travel thousands of miles to get here.

1 hour ago, Screw said:

I got a warning once talking about JVs partying and off ice shenanigans.  I was told it was salacious gossip and would be an offence to speak of it.  This is when he was coming in our of shape. Is it cool now?  lol

8. You will not abuse the moderators.

If you have an issue with a moderator's actions, need clarification on a moderator's decision, or want to make a suggestion please private message a moderator or administrator.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Pears said:

I don't believe this for a second.

The issue isn't "Jake"....it's what Jake did.  And any player not observing social distancing/mask wearing in public would be putting the rest of the team/league/season at risk.  So your guarantee really means nothing.  And it's a deflection to say "if so and so did" because, well....they didn't.

The uproar is that this return, like any these days, is being delicately handled for a reason.  People's lives depend on it.   So anyone not buying in to protocol (which, according to our health officials is to continue to observe social distancing and wear and mask when that's not possible) will be scrutinized.

Hockey isn't back yet and what these players do may impact that.  So a decision that someone makes outside of hockey also could be brought back TO hockey.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

They can "do as they please"...but it may come with consequences for their actions.

It's is different than a grocery store...which provides basic "needs".   

We will quickly become the States if we start acting like them.  There's a reason we're doing well....it's not magic fairy dust.  Hold the line.

thing is we arent the states and bc has 4 people in icu not a 1000. im pretty sure virtanen is fine he can do as he pleases  hes not there for fans to bark orders at. No difference in quinn hughes going to restaurants  give me a break

Edited by canuktravella