The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CFL/BC Lions Thread

Shift-4

17 minutes ago, Bounce000 said:

Rourke is too good for the CFL

Not to compare the two because Rourke is smarter, better feet, more accurate arm and works harder at his craft but people said the same thing about Casey Printers. Hell, Casey Printers probably said it too.That didn’t work out so well for him.

Unless the guy gets a ma$$ive  signing bonus the NFL prioritizes their highly drafted qbs and the CFL guy doesn’t get much of a fair shot. Far better for Rourke to spend a few years up here to build his resume before even thinking about heading south.

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

has there ever been a canadian quarterback in the nfl? how long is his contract with the lions/

23 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Wasn't Rypien Canadian, played for the Broncos I believe.

Jesse Palmer is Canadian as well.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, 4petesake said:

OK that’s just weird…Campbell leaves Rourke in for a 3rd and inches then finally brings O’Conner in on the next play. Campbell doesn’t seem to mind gambling with Rourke’s health - sure hope that doesn’t come back to bite us.

I was thinking the same. Perhaps some of Campbell's thinking is that Rourke is a rookie and needs the reps more than anything else. There doesn't seem to be much hesitation in having him run the short yardage plays either. I was a little disappointed that all the backup QB , O'Connor was allowed to do was run the clock down. No attempted passes. I would have expected a couple of playbooks which would have given him more opportunity.  

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I was thinking the same. Perhaps some of Campbell's thinking is that Rourke is a rookie and needs the reps more than anything else. There doesn't seem to be much hesitation in having him run the short yardage plays either. I was a little disappointed that all the backup QB , O'Connor was allowed to do was run the clock down. No attempted passes. I would have expected a couple of playbooks which would have given him more opportunity.  

O'Connor would have got the entire 4rth quarter, had I been the coach.

If you are going to let Rourke play, then keep running the full offense, and let him challenge for the yardage record; don't  get conservative with the play calling.

Either let him go for the record or let the back up play.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

Edmonton Elks Victor Cui TSN1260 Edmonton - TSN.ca

Currently sitting at 2-5 this season, Edmonton Elks president Victor Cui believes his team is about to go on a run.

"I'll make this call right now, I think we're about to win four in a row; we have BC, Saskatchewan, then back-to-back [against] Ottawa, I think all of those are winnable," Cui told TSN 1260 Edmonton on Friday.

Coming off a bye week following a 24-10 loss at home to the undefeated Winnipeg Blue Bombers, the Elks are scheduled to travel to British Columbia to play the Lions on Saturday.

The Elks have played in BC once already this season: a 59-15 embarrassment at the hands of the Lions in their season opener back on June 11. 

"What I care about is win or lose, the next day we decide to go back to work and try to improve," Cui said.

Cui: I think we're about to win four in a row

President of the Edmonton Elks Victor Cui joined Tom Gazzola to discuss tomorrow's tilt with BC and how the next couple weeks might shape out

He continued to reflect on their first matchup with the Lions, saying "I think we've [improved] since our loss in BC, you've seen coach Chris Jones tweak and tweak and tweak, we've done over 80 transactions since the start of the season, since that BC game."

"We win those next four, all in a row, that takes us to 6-5, and we still have another seven games in the season," he said. "If we do that, get to 6-5, that's like starting the season all over again."

The various roster moves have been a necessity given the Elks' luck with injuries to this point in the season, but Cui is confident the team believes in Jones, who serves as head coach as well as general manager.

"When you talk to the players, they have such a high level of confidence in coach Jones and the coaching staff, they just believe in what he does because he has a track record of building success," said Cui.

"There is extreme confidence in his leadership, they're ready and willing to run through a brick wall for him, so that is really encouraging," he added.

In a final vote of confidence for the active style of management Jones has employed this season, Cui noted: "I don't think they see the changes and the things that he's doing as disruptive, my sense is that they see it and they think 'this is what it takes to build a winning team and I'm here to do my part.'"

Given the injuries and rough start to the season, Cui loved the timing of the their first bye in Week 8. 

"We needed this breather to recharge, fill up our tank, and now I think we're ready to go," he said.

Despite the 2-5 record which puts the Elks at the bottom of the West Division, Cui is still thinking positive. 

"If we can get some luck on our side, less injuries over these next seven weeks, we're in really good shape," he said.

Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

54 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Yes, that's the team, and someone else mentioned Palmer.

Rypien was way better than Palmer.  Rypien led the Redskins to the Super Bowl.  

I can see this young Lions’ QB getting a shot down south.  He’s athletic, got a strong arm, and thinks quick.