The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Widows: 4/10

This movie was emotionally empty. From the writing to the acting (why do people keep giving Michelle Rodriguez things to do?), I don't think I felt any different between the start of the movie and end of the movie. Viola Davis is boring. This almost felt Suicide-Squad + Justice League bad in that maybe they had five different directors and four different script supervisors that all took a turn and what you're left with is the story of the blind guys feeling up an elephant and none of them fully capture what an elephant actually is. 

5 hours ago, Down by the River said:

This movie was emotionally empty. From the writing to the acting (why do people keep giving Michelle Rodriguez things to do?), I don't think I felt any different between the start of the movie and end of the movie. Viola Davis is boring. This almost felt Suicide-Squad + Justice League bad in that maybe they had five different directors and four different script supervisors that all took a turn and what you're left with is the story of the blind guys feeling up an elephant and none of them fully capture what an elephant actually is. 

I have this ready to watch, soon. McQueen is a great Director. 

Did not know that Michelle Rodriguez was in it. Will temper my expectations simply because of that. Her films include the Fast and Furious franchise, and that’s it.

12 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

The last Jason Bourne movie

rinseandrepeat/10

I keep meaning to watch what I’ve long expected to be a steaming pile of dog crap.

3 hours ago, Monty said:

I have this ready to watch, soon. McQueen is a great Director. 

Did not know that Michelle Rodriguez was in it. Will temper my expectations simply because of that. Her films include the Fast and Furious franchise, and that’s it.

I keep meaning to watch what I’ve long expected to be a steaming pile of dog crap.

Good sir, how dare you forget the acting clinic she put on in Avatar. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Down by the River said:

Good sir, how dare you forget the acting clinic she put on in Avatar. 

I watched this again a month ago and forgot that she was even in it. 

My favourite scene/clip in Avatar is when he’s drinking a coffee in his death vehicle. As meticulous as Cameron is in the details for his films, how on Earth (or Pandora) did this make sense :lol: 

7418176D-43E4-4E05-AF42-A032121A69BF.jpeg

• Haha 1

The House That Jack Built

8/10.

It was good. The ending was very unexpected, but the film was great. It made me laugh at times, but also creeped the hell out. Two very opposing feelings to have at the same time. 

Recommended watch for anyone who is into horror/suspense/thriller flicks.

7 minutes ago, Monty said:

I watched this again a month ago and forgot that she was even in it. 

My favourite scene/clip in Avatar is when he’s drinking a coffee in his death vehicle. As meticulous as Cameron is in the details for his films, how on Earth (or Pandora) did this make sense :lol: 

7418176D-43E4-4E05-AF42-A032121A69BF.jpeg

Haven’t seen this movie, but heard a lot about it.  Is it worth the time?  

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Avatar gets a lot of flack, but if you want to just shut off your brain, eat popcorn and be entertained, it delivers in spades.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Alflives said:

As @D-Money already said, it gets (IMO) far too much hate for what it is. A stupid popcorn flick. Not supposed to be anything more than what it is. If you have a good setup to watch it at home, it’s worth it.

12 hours ago, Down by the River said:

was trying to decide on a movie to watch tonight and this was on my list because McQueen 

but then i watched the trailer and oh my god it just looks so bad. Viola Davis is just SO hammy imo. i can remember her overcooked screeching in Fences like i watched it yesterday.

Blackkklansman - 8.5/10

Alot more of a political drama than I expected. Granted I should have expected it from Spike Lee but the trailers made it seem more comedic...It was very well acted, solid plot but its more of the subtext to today that makes this film great. Great and scary given how the past and a period we felt was gone, is so very similar to today in the USA, well worth the watch, Spike Lee delivers as usual

Conspiracy 9.5 /10

Another political drama, this one historical and about the meeting where the Nazi's decide on the 'final solution' aka the eradication of jewish people from Germany. It is a chilling and frightening drama that is extremely well acted and as I said a chilling real life plot. Cast includes Kenneth Branaugh and Stanley Tucci. Worth the watch and so important from a historical perspective - it awakens you and reminds you of the worst of humanity, and that reminder is important to protect from it happening again

Edited by 40Dangles

Mortal Engines

One of those times where, on paper, it had a lot going for it. But it just fell flat. Some stuff was good, then it just crapped the bed on others. More than anything, the characters were fairly empty.

While based on a book from 2003, the film borrowed A LOT from other successful movie moments, most notably Mad Max Fury Road and The Empire Strikes Back. And it wasn’t subtle. The first 10 minutes it’ll hit you over the head.

It looked gorgeous, though. But that’s not surprising, considering Peter Jackson produced it through his company.

DA451B56-A94E-4862-BAA4-E30FB3784C6C.jpeg

Few Movies I have seen lately:

First Man - incredible movie and visually its a 11/10 - WOW

A Star is Born (watched with the girlfriend) - I hate to say it but Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga were great in it - 7/10

Sicario - Day of the Soldado 8/10 - Josh Brolin and Benico Del Toro are magic together - only thing missing was Emily Blunt

the favourite 7.5/10

wasn't super in the mood for a 2 hour period drama, but still went with it. not sure if that hurts my rating. big fan of yorgos lanthimos (the lobster, killing of a sacred deer), so i had big expectations for this and it didn't quite meet them. still enjoyed it though. lots of quirk, dark humour/satire. nice blend of history + modernity, but i prefer my period movies to be more accurate than exaggerated, so the fictional elements don't resonate with me super well

either way, it's extremely well done in many ways. the costume design, especially of the men, is hilarious. much of the dialogue is sharp. acting is wonderful. but not sure it's one i'll ever feel compelled to re-watch.