The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

If Schneider is going to be the #1, then the Canucks need a legitimate backup. My confidence in MG and AV to make smart moves is deteriorating rapidly. You have stated the teams that can use Luongo, what do the Canucks get in return from, say Washington or Philly?

BTW, starting Luongo against Edmonton must have really made Scneids feel good about himself after watching how quickly management demoted Louongo.

Lou has shown himself as a complete class guy considering his stats and his demotion from Team captain to Team goat. Most people would have said "trade me now or I ride the pine for $6M a year". Vancouver doesn't deserve this man.

Tampa would be nice if they didn't already deny interest in Luongo. It's close to Florida, they have some giant defencemen and some nice centers that would fit in here but oh well...

I'd want a solid 20 goal scoring center and a great prospect or big depth forward for Luongo, otherwise forget it, rather have this tandem going after the way Schneider crapped the bed.

its got to be a team that doesn't have a goalie. one where the goalie is a missing piece.

flyers: have said openly they support bryz. probably not them.

Might be the Columbus idea someone mentioned here, makes a certain amount of sense...

Why it could be Columbus:

1. They need to get into the playoffs. Didn't the owner at one point say something about they need to make the playoffs, even something about free tickets the following year if they didn't? The owner wants to win, but they have no goaltending.

2. Lu can get a team like that into the playoffs.

3. You can make a case that they are an up and coming team - they have a lot of topish draft picks in their system. Lu might want to go there (closer to Miami too).

Just a year or 3 ago Miller was their franchise player; at that time the undisputed best goalie in the league. Taking Kane but giving up Ott (who they just traded for) and Grigorenko does nothing for their ability to ice a team that can match up against physical eastern conference teams.

They're weak at centre, certainly small, and Grigorenko is a bonafide blue chip 6'3" 200 lb centre. 200 lbs at age 18 and he's already made their team. Would you do it if you were the GM?

Your possibly right that the "value" is not horrible but IMO it would be a horrible trade to stomach trading their franchise player and giving up completely on a stated goal of being able to ice a physically competitive team.

I don't think it's outrageous. They do get Kane back. Would you trade Ott and Grigorenko for Kane??

They just signed Ott for a good reason, and Grigorenko is their top prospect, so I doubt they would do it, but it's plausible.

Gillis said that the team he is rumoured to have a deal in place with is not one that you'd expect. IMO, if Gillis is telling the truth, it eliminates Philly, as this is a team that has been rumoured to be interested in Lu prior to this news.

Washington makes sense to me. Maybe the Canucks are interested in Ribiero? Washington would need to move one of their goalies to make room for Lu. Ribiero could actually fit as second line centre even if Kes came back.

EDIT: Though that would leave the Caps pretty thin at centre, so I'd guess they'd want to deal Holtby/Neuvirth for a centre as well... Maybe not the best trading partner for the Canucks after all..

I find it hard to believe that Luongo would go to Philly.

I understand that "all signs point" to the Flyers and Bryzgalov with the mystery player, but I find it hard to believe that they would turn their back on him after the big contract and only one season. Yes I understand he played dismal in the post-season, but I find it unlikely that they would bring in Luongo over him (at this point).

This seems a little odd.. It's totally not gillis style to come out and say this.

Part of me thinks it has to be true otherwise why would he stir the goalie controversy more?

But part of me also thinks every deal he makes comes out of nowhere so why would he announce it early this time?

A little confused right now....

Lol!!!! Dude really? You're blaming a snipe that no goalie in the

NHL would ever stop on Lou??

Dude, I know nothing about hockey? Hmm you see kid:

1. Goalies don't stop every shot that's the first part you need to understand, this isn't

NHL 13 on your ps3.

2. He was taking away the lower part of the net bc Eberle was on

A tough angle and the likelihood of him roofing it from there is so low lou played the

Probabilities. 99 times out of 100 a player won't put it where he did bc it is an incredibly tough shot.

3. It ain't ps3 those shots are elite level talent that got a bit of luck.

Pretty clear you've never strapped on a pair of skates there champ.

Archived