The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cole Cassels | C

JE14

Haha I fracking love cassels. Mcdavid tries to dipsy doodle cassels, and cassels stops him with a great check and creates a scoring opportunity the other way.

Cassels laying out the ground rules for the future of the Pacific division

After Period 2

Cassels: 2 assists (PP)

On night: 3 assists, +1,1 minor penalty

My summary is borderline play-by-play so I'll shorten the post with spoilers.

- Early goal for the Generals but Otters followed with some good shifts.

- A bad interference penalty on the Otters that leads to a McCarron goal (and Cassels assist) to make it 3-1 for the Generals. Cassels received a pass from Dal Colle, took a shot, and McCarron knocked in the rebound.

- Putrid start for the Otters who now take delay of game penalty, right after the 3-1 goal, that leads to another Generals goal (4-1). Cassels with a faceoff win to Dal Colle who gets a shot blocked, then shoots wide. The puck comes out from the other side of the net where Mistele squeaks the puck past the Otters goalie. Cassels collects his 3rd point of the night.

- McDavid played a shift on left wing with Strome at C and Baptiste on the other wing. They were up against Cassels and spent a lot of time in their own end, but the Generals took a Too Many Men penalty on the same shift. The penalty leads to an Erie goal from Raddysh to make it a 4-2 game. McDavid has played on at least 3 of the lines, and why not?

- DeBrincat got a goal that was waived off because the puck was contacted by his glove. Apparently. I thought it hit his chest/shoulder and then the shaft of his stick but I'll take it.

- Cassels has made a number of real good reads in the d+neutral zone to break up passes throughout the course of the game. Very smart player with his defensive skills on full display. He and his linemates did a masterful job of shutting down McDavid and Strome for this period. Very little from either Erie superstar.

Side note: Mitchell Vande Sompel (draft eligible d-man who will go in the 2nd round) plays on the penalty kill as a forward.

Damien Cox's saying that Cole being two years older then mcdavid is the main factor of success and downplaying him shutting him down. What about all the other 19 year olds this kid has burned? What a joke

Haha dont you just love it when Cox starts to cry.

Damien Cox's saying that Cole being two years older then mcdavid is the main factor of success and downplaying him shutting him down. What about all the other 19 year olds this kid has burned? What a joke

Yeah but what about matching him to 18 year old Sam Bennett. That's the question.

I agree that he needs to give Cassels a little more credit but it's also a relatively valid point. Age tends to play a pretty large role in junior hockey and I'm certain it is playing at least a role here. A massive role? Nah, but you can't downplay it completely.

That being said, what is making Cassels so effective -- something no one else has been able to do all year -- is his fantastic hockey sense, and dog-on-a-bone mentality with regards to staying on McDavid at all times.

He reads the play so well and has been able to break up a number of Otters plays/passes throughout the game and it has been great to watch. He always looks like the smartest guy on the ice when he's out there. He sure as hell doesn't have McDavid's explosiveness or pure talent, but his hockey sense is so damn good.

I agree that he needs to give Cassels a little more credit but it's also a relatively valid point. Age tends to play a pretty large role in junior hockey and I'm certain it is playing at least a role here. A massive role? Nah, but you can't downplay it completely.

That being said, what is making Cassels so effective -- something no one else has been able to do all year -- is his fantastic hockey sense, and dog-on-a-bone mentality with regards to staying on McDavid at all times.

He reads the play so well and has been able to break up a number of Otters plays/passes throughout the game and it has been great to watch. He always looks like the smartest guy on the ice when he's out there. He sure as hell doesn't have McDavid's explosiveness or pure talent, but his hockey sense is so damn good.

Poor Edm.

They get the greatest possible player in a generation not named Crosby

And their divisional rivals get the ONLY player capable of shutting him down completely.

Hahaha

Archived