The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Subban is a Canuck

HockeyNut30

Cue posters coming on here and writing him off because he's 5'9".

Seriously, if you know nothing about the kid, why bother making comments about him?

He may be smaller, but if you've seen him play, his high end skill makes his lack of size a non factor right now. Obviously he'll need to add some Lbs to make the next level, but he's only 18. He's got time.

He's definitely got the motivation to do it with two older brothers.

THN.com Blog: Will prospect Jordan Subban outshine P.K. one day?

It’s a little unfair, really. But you watch the shirt-flapping speed, the sense of authority when he carries the puck, the passion that comes through on each and every shift and you can’t help but compare defenseman Jordan Subban to his older brother.

The only difference, major junior scouts say, is Jordan is even better than P.K. was at the same age. A lot better. That’s not to say 16-year-old Jordan will ultimately one day be a better NHLer than the Montreal Canadiens star rookie, it’s far too early to determine that yet, but people like what Jordan has going.

And they like it even more after Subban and his Toronto Marlies teammates captured the OHL Cup in Toronto Sunday afternoon with a 5-3 win over the Don Mills Flyers. Subban was a key cog on a Marlie team that lost only three of its 81 minor midget games this season. Subban, who turned 16 in March, is eligible for the Ontario League draft this year and is certain to go in the top five.

Karl Subban, the father to P.K., Jordan and Belleville Bulls goalie Malcolm Subban, doesn’t know if he shares the scouts’ assessments of his youngest son, but he knows Jordan and Subban share a lot of traits.

“I’m not sure if he’s better (than P.K. was at the same age), but I do know he’s getting better,” Karl said. “They both do certain things well, but the one thing they share is the drive that they have. Jordan has the same passion P.K. has and I think that’s one thing that will serve him well in the future.”

Jordan’s calling card, at this point, is his speed. The impressive thing about him is not only does he skate fast, he’s capable of making precision plays at high speed. Like his older brother, he seems to want to win the game every time he’s out on the ice and while that can sometimes lead to defensive breakdowns, the upside he gives you with his offensive game will be a boon to his career. Jordan doesn’t seem to have the same capacity as his older brother to drive his opponents to distraction, but there’s a lot of time to develop that skill.

OHL scouts contend that while the two brothers look very similar when they play, Jordan’s game is far more refined than P.K.’s was when he was 16. P.K. was a sixth round pick to the Belleville Bulls in 2005, largely because his talent was so raw.

“When P.K. was that age, you had no idea what he was going to do,” one OHL scout said. “He didn’t play for as good a team and he was always running around his own zone trying to do everything. Jordan is a little more offense-minded than P.K. was as well.”

One thing Jordan has had to deal with that P.K. did not is the constant comparisons. P.K. was a largely anonymous player until he was picked in the second round of the NHL draft and starred with Canada’s national junior team. But Jordan has lived with the comparisons for years, in large part because he looks like a 5-foot-10, 165-pound Version 2.0 of P.K Subban.

“It has never bothered me at all,” Jordan said. “I can say I’ve never felt that pressure on the ice. It’s not something I even think about that much. We definitely have a lot of similarities, but I’m my own person, too.”

Cue posters coming on here and writing him off because he's 5'9".

Seriously, if you know nothing about the kid, why bother making comments about him?

He may be smaller, but if you've seen him play, his high end skill makes his lack of size a non factor right now. Obviously he'll need to add some Lbs to make the next level, but he's only 18. He's got time.

He's definitely got the motivation to do it with two older brothers.

could be an absolute steal. the skill is definitly there. obviously the canucks are banking on the fact that jordan is still goning to grow some more. after all his brothers are 6 and 6 2. if he does grow gillis has got himself a gem in the 4th round

Archived