The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack Kassian not what we think he is?

Merely

I don't see Kassian ever working with the Sedins for more than a few shifts at a time unless he changes the way he plays. Kass likes to have control of the puck and create plays. When he's with the Twins, he's trying to get involved in the cycle and it looks to me like he's getting in the way. Burrows and Kesler get involved in the cycle, but they pick their spots. They know their job is to create space for the Twins and then get open for the pass/screen the goalie.

With all our injuries so far and Torts playing the lights out of the top two lines, Kassian hasn't had much playing time, ecspecially with regular line mates. From the last couple of games though, he has looked really good playing with Archie and Richardson. However our 3rd line turns out with Schroeder and Hansen back in the lineup, Kass can play on that 4th line as it seems Torts is starting to develop trust in Richardson & Archie out there. If Torts uses that as a 4th lineup, I'd say we would have a pretty complete team from top to bottom.

With all our injuries so far and Torts playing the lights out of the top two lines, Kassian hasn't had much playing time, ecspecially with regular line mates. From the last couple of games though, he has looked really good playing with Archie and Richardson. However our 3rd line turns out with Schroeder and Hansen back in the lineup, Kass can play on that 4th line as it seems Torts is starting to develop trust in Richardson & Archie out there. If Torts uses that as a 4th lineup, I'd say we would have a pretty complete team from top to bottom.

Playing Zack on the 4th line would most likely backfire. If his confidence takes a hit because of it then he may end up playing poorly as a result and the next step down from the 4th line is the AHL. If he is sent to the Comets then it could be lights out for his career in Vancouver.

Torts is not going to change up the top 2 lines just to 'gift' Kassian a top 6 position. The team is winning games right now, so switching things up is highly unlikely. Kassian is still learning the game at the pro level and has improved enough to maintain a spot on the 3rd.

He needs to keep working hard and playing like he did the other night CONSISTENTLY.

Yeah, it would be nice. But it hasn't worked so far, for an assortment of reasons. The way Torts is using Kesler on wing (good call IMO), Burrows has shown to be effective up and down the lines, Santorelli is holding his own as 2C (maybe not the most ideal long term pick, but he *is* holding it together), Kassian is consistently inconsistent, and we gotta expect Booth to either be injured or on the cusp of benchings, this is way more likely -

Daniel - Henrik - Kesler

Higgens - Santorelli - Burrows

Hansen - Schroeder/Richardson - Kassian

0:47 TOI/g plug - 1:32 TOI/g plug - Booth/0:32 TOI/g plug

Yeah, it would be nice. But it hasn't worked so far, for an assortment of reasons. The way Torts is using Kesler on wing (good call IMO), Burrows has shown to be effective up and down the lines, Santorelli is holding his own as 2C (maybe not the most ideal long term pick, but he *is* holding it together), Kassian is consistently inconsistent, and we gotta expect Booth to either be injured or on the cusp of benchings, this is way more likely -

Daniel - Henrik - Kesler

Higgens - Santorelli - Burrows

Hansen - Schroeder/Richardson - Kassian

0:47 TOI/g plug - 1:32 TOI/g plug - Booth/0:32 TOI/g plug

I'm not really seeing that. I've seen him be a factor in almost every game in the last few weeks. People need to understand that big guys don't have the explosive energy of a smaller, quicker player. People seem to want him to be a player who plays like he's 200-205, and that's not going to happen. Big guys need to be efficient on the ice and I think kassian does a pretty good job of conserving his energy during a shift and during a game.

Isn't there like a zillion of these threads already?

There sure is, for a couple reasons - he came here in the trade for pretty boy; and he has enormous potential. From the attention he is receiving from Torts it's obvious he sees this guy as being a game changer. Let's see how he looks by the playoffs.

And regarding pretty boy - there sure is a love/hate relationship regarding him in Canuck Nation. One thing is certain, he's not the style of player Torts would like.

Torts is not going to change up the top 2 lines just to 'gift' Kassian a top 6 position. The team is winning games right now, so switching things up is highly unlikely. Kassian is still learning the game at the pro level and has improved enough to maintain a spot on the 3rd.

He needs to keep working hard and playing like he did the other night CONSISTENTLY.

Well, in reality, Burrows got second line right after coming off an injury. He looked slow cuz he's slightly out of game shape. He'll be fine in a few games, but the 2nd line gets a LOT of minutes.

Kassian has played well so far this season. I think that TO should be enough to get him at least SOME second line minutes until Burr gets back up to snuff.

Furthermore, Kassian would feed right off of the energy that Higgins and Santorelli play with. I think that would be a deadly second line for the next few games. Torts just have to say "play like you did against Toronto and you'll stick on this line"

Well, in reality, Burrows got second line right after coming off an injury. He looked slow cuz he's slightly out of game shape. He'll be fine in a few games, but the 2nd line gets a LOT of minutes.

Kassian has played well so far this season. I think that TO should be enough to get him at least SOME second line minutes until Burr gets back up to snuff.

Furthermore, Kassian would feed right off of the energy that Higgins and Santorelli play with. I think that would be a deadly second line for the next few games. Torts just have to say "play like you did against Toronto and you'll stick on this line"

Be happy with him on the third or 4th line this year it's better for his development. Make him work for it.

The obvious question would be what do you 'think he is'?

Apparently you're predjudging him in one sentence and not really sure what you're saying in the next, so I'd have to agree - he's not what you think he is.

Kind of a pointless thread though, imo. Could he be a top 5 power forward? "Maybe".

Um, ok. Thanks for clearing that up.

I'm not really seeing that. I've seen him be a factor in almost every game in the last few weeks. People need to understand that big guys don't have the explosive energy of a smaller, quicker player. People seem to want him to be a player who plays like he's 200-205, and that's not going to happen. Big guys need to be efficient on the ice and I think kassian does a pretty good job of conserving his energy during a shift and during a game.

If fans cannot see how Kassian has been dominating a lot of shifts over the past 3 - 4 games then it has to be spelt out. The hit on Bolland followed by the pass behind the net to Richardson followed by the net presence that got him the goal deserved a star in of itself. Kassian combines with Sestito and Stanton then squashed TO's attempt at physical play. Kassian is showing flashes of what he will become within the next two seasons. Fans should be excited!

Archived