The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks Considered Trading Edler to Detroit

Come on guys, check the source before you eat whatever is spoon fed to you.

The original post on the Province site doesn't even bother hinting at an anonymous source or anything. Just conjecture spewed as a fact. Botch also implies that Edler was playing perfectly up until this season, until Torts and Garrison gave him some 'bad habits'. Funniest part, and I couldn't even make this kind of thing up, is the whole section is laid out under the heading 'Best Story'.

Classic Botch Job.

http://blogs.theprov...-shanahan-what/

No kidding. Can't help but notice that as soon as 4 pieces are mentioned, people start imagining we were going to get some screaming deal. No mention if one or two of those other pieces weren't lower picks as well. Here, I can play the "imagine how great the trade would have been" game too:

Stupid MG! He could have gotten Alfredsson, Datsyuk, Howard and a first! That's 4 pieces, so it's totally plausible guys.

:rolleyes:

Get over it people ... Edler is here for a while.

Stop crying over spilt milk.

get over it? Get over what???? you mean Get over not making the trade?

I'm thanking Mike Gillis for not making a lop sided trade. He asked for what's fair, Detroit was ready to bend us over and screw Mike Gillis over of a top 2 dman.

Mike Gillis didn't bite, but he was willing to still move him, at the right price. It never happened. I thank Mike Gillis for it.

Wtf.... Edler is not the reason we are losing right now you clowns, hahahahhaha lol!!! canucks.com is so epic failure sometimes.

If GIllis didn't accept 3 useful pieces for our worst defenceman, this is even worse than not buying out Luongo and trading Schneids. Thanks to Gillis, we're now stuck with 2 bad contracts because he keeps asking for too much. At the rate Edler's playing, he'll be a buyout candidate this offseason.

If there's any truth to this, Gillis needs to be fired.

Okay, I'm pissed with Edler too, but now your ignorance is certainly starting to take over....

I've been wanting Edler gone for years. Funny almost everyone whined and cried that it would be stupid he was a future Norris trophy defenseman but unfortunately he's nothing close to that just like i thought then.

He's a fragile minded player, can't be trusted in big games and is overrated. If MG could get a top 6 forward it would be a very nice move that would really help and boost this team.

There's been these rumors we've been talking a lot to the Canadians maybe its for Pacioretty which would be great with his size and skill we would be set.

MG seems to have no sense of the market and what might or might not be a great deal.

And if Gillis phoned Holland right now for those same 3 piece, Holland would laugh at him and hang up.

How can you say that without knowing what the pieces were that Holland was willing/considering to give up?

I don't know what would make Gillis think he could get away with asking for 4 pieces.

Maybe cause DET was still 50/50 on whether or not to give 3. Maybe if Gillis asked for 4, Holland would cave a bit (if he really wanted Edler badly) and give up the 3 pieces we wanted.

Franzen, Nyquist, Mantha, and 1st for Kesler and Edler.

Not enough for Kesler AND Edler IMO.

Edler hasn't been nearly as bad as some people here are saying, I don't even think he's been bad this year.

Seems like when things aren't going great for us, he's the guy everyone loves to hate on even if he's not an issue.

No, he's not just another whipping boy, he actually sucks in that he is inconsistent and not reliable. With his new contract, it isn't looking good and a change of scenery is the best course of action for both parties. He's talented, don't get me wrong, but just doesn't seem like will be an effective fit here...

No, he's not just another whipping boy, he actually sucks in that he is inconsistent and not reliable. With his new contract, it isn't looking good and a change of scenery is the best course of action for both parties. He's talented, don't get me wrong, but just doesn't seem like will be an effective fit here...

Take it easy. Edler is arguably the Canucks best dman, and he's only 27. He's not even close to his best. Lidstrom won his 1st of 7 Norris Trophies at the age of 31. I'm not saying he's going to be the next Lidstrom, what I am saying is one of the games best dman was 31 before he hit his prime. Niedermayer got better with age too. Edler's caphit is great, especially when the cap goes through the roof over the next few years.

If the Canucks do trade Edler it is because they are getting good value back and they think they can promote from within. Detroit does have a lot of nice prospects and I'm sure Edler would waive his NTC with the Swedes Detroit has.

Take it easy. Edler is arguably the Canucks best dman, and he's only 27. He's not even close to his best. Lidstrom won his 1st of 7 Norris Trophies at the age of 31. I'm not saying he's going to be the next Lidstrom, what I am saying is one of the games best dman was 31 before he hit his prime. Niedermayer got better with age too. Edler's caphit is great, especially when the cap goes through the roof over the next few years.

If the Canucks do trade Edler it is because they are getting good value back and they think they can promote from within. Detroit does have a lot of nice prospects and I'm sure Edler would waive his NTC with the Swedes Detroit has.

Edler's not even close to our best defenseman. He's been the WORST out of our top 6 this season, and was one of the worst last season. The guys you mentioned did get better with age. Edler, however, is getting progressively WORSE. That's not a promising sign for the chances of him ever learning how to play in his own end.

Edler's not even close to our best defenseman. He's been the WORST out of our top 6 this season, and was one of the worst last season. The guys you mentioned did get better with age. Edler, however, is getting progressively WORSE. That's not a promising sign for the chances of him ever learning how to play in his own end.

Who's the only Dman the Canucks have that has played in an All Star game? I did say 'arguably'. (IMO Hamhuis is better).

If GIllis didn't accept 3 useful pieces for our worst defenceman, this is even worse than not buying out Luongo and trading Schneids. Thanks to Gillis, we're now stuck with 2 bad contracts because he keeps asking for too much. At the rate Edler's playing, he'll be a buyout candidate this offseason.

If there's any truth to this, Gillis needs to be fired.

Our worst defenceman this season sure, but a couple years ago he was an all-star defenceman and put up excellent numbers.

I am betting that torts will rein him in to be the dependable hard-hitting type of guy that we know and love.

Actually he plays against the toughest competition of anyone on the team. Only Alex Burrows comes even close to the same QoC as Edler. He has the highest TOI on the team, the team has the highest save percentage when he's one of the defenders on the ice, and his pairing has the lowest PDO of any.

He is our #1 D. He's part of our top shutdown pairing and no matter how much people love Hammer and Tanev, Garry and Edler do the heavy lifting. If Edler looks worse it's only because he has more on his plate than any other Canuck.

Archived