The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] "Teams eyeing down Kesler & Edler" - Ownership prevented Kesler trade

if Gillis has no balls to pull trigger on Kesler trade today he should be fired ,waiting on the draft day for a play will only net less .This could start the beginning of new regime .One way or another,I still liked the Philly offer an know Pitt is capable of putting more on the table,only a skilled GM can co-opt that out of another who wants to deal.

Something not mentioned too often, with Luongo off the books, Kesler doesn't have to go ANYWHERE anymore. Unless of course he wants to.

There is no bargaining ploy guys, if no one overpays for Kesler (as they very well should b/c he is not a rental), he stays, not until the draft, until the end of his contract! With Lu gone and the cap going up, we magically and finally have the capspace to sign him a decent winger. No more Raymond, Booth, Higgins, Sammy, etc marginal crappy BS for him to deal with.

Only problem with this is if Kes wants out and he has come out and said he does not!

From the fact he is still here and the crap offers, I conclude that there is no validity to the fact that he wants out. Philly would be out of their minds to not trade the farm for Kes. If I was PH I would be in whatever it takes mode IF I knew Vancouver was actually serious about this.

All this stuff is just media BS waste of time. They are dedicating frekin half a day of tv time and broadcasters and reporters going every which way, you really don't think they are going to cook stuff up and blow things way the hell out of proportion?

Pitts is right that kesler won't be moved if that is the best they can offer. That's nothing to do with permission or not, it's just a bad deal.

Both Shero and Homer seem to be trying to play games. Some here are going to blame Gillis for not getting a deal done but he's definitely correct to not accept or negotiate a cruddy offer. Just because we can move kesler doesn't mean we have too. Especially for a compromised return

Pitts is right that kesler won't be moved if that is the best they can offer. That's nothing to do with permission or not, it's just a bad deal.

Both Shero and Homer seem to be trying to play games. Some here are going to blame Gillis for not getting a deal done but he's definitely correct to not accept or negotiate a cruddy offer. Just because we can move kesler doesn't mean we have too. Especially for a compromised return

Exactly, sutter and dumolin lol no thanks

I think that ownership has a say in these deals. And do believe that the asking price MUST be met in order for a deal to be struck.

The Canucks still need to be able to sell their team, and Kesler is really the only current roster player they can still sell effectively.

They could see the re-tool with an infusion of strong young assets... but that aint Sutter... Schenn or Etem are the guys they can add into the fray and market. Moreso for Schenn, but a Etem/Shinkaruk/Horvat/Jensen/Markstrom/Lack/Vatanen combo would look real good to the market aswell imo.

Cannot see Kes going to any contender b/c they would have to give up too much to get him while also losing capspace to fit him in. He has control so he will veto any trade to teams that would actually give an arm and a leg to get him (non-playoff bound teams).

=

He will not be traded!

@FarhanLaljiTSN: Hearing that the #Canucks are still optimistic that a Kesler deal will get done. Things much quieter on the Edler front. #tradecentre

I know people have said that Philly has become quiet on this front and not really serious. But me thinks they are the front runners but are waiting to see what others are offering first before they make one themselves.

Obviously you know Paul Holmgren loves Kesler. He is a Philly branded type player. They have not had a brute center force since Keith Primeau and Eric Lindros. Not saying Kesler is anywhere near the same skill, but his ability to skate a heavy stride, powerful and offensively gifted is everything Philly ever wants.

I really believe Philly is in the mix.

It's funny how none of the pundits are willing to consider the possibility that Kesler never asked to be traded.

Those initial rumours were extremely suspect. But instead of questioning the sources (both were based on 2nd and 3rd hand information coming from unnamed "insiders"), everyone just took the reports as gospel and started building more rumours on top of a shaky foundation.

All we've heard from Kesler and people who actually have spoken directly to him is that Kesler never requested a trade.

Of course, with Kesler looking less and less likely to get moved today, the "insiders" have started running with new stories about "ownership blocking the trade" or "Kesler refusing to waive" to various teams (Kes has even been called a "prima donna" because of his "refusals"). And then there's the ever-popular "MG's asking price is too high."

Doesn't it seem more likely that Kesler never asked for a trade?

I'd have a lot of respect for a pundit who actually considered the possibility that they'd been duped by a poorly sourced rumour (and one that never should have passed a basic sniff test).

Of course, Kesler could still get moved (and this might be the best thing for the team if we're looking to significantly "re-tool" for the future). But if he's ever traded, I firmly believe that it will be because the Canucks wanted to get value on their best asset and they decided to approach Kesler (and not because Kes wanted out of Vancouver).

Honestly, I'm leaning toward taking the "over" on the odds of Kesler wearing a Canucks jersey on opening night 2014-15 (and maybe even staying here for the rest of his contract).

And if Kes stays, I won't be saying it's because MG and the Canucks botched this trade. It'll be because Kesler wants to be here (and therefore refused to waive his NTC).

Hey, I could be completely out to lunch on all of this. I just haven't seen anything convincing (and I've looked really hard) that suggests there's ever been any strong evidence out there to suggest that Kesler wanted to leave Vancouver. In the absence of such evidence (or even a rumour with a strong source), it just makes sense to me to believe the statements that can be directly attributed to Kesler (all of which deny the rumours and maintain that Kes is 100% committed to the Vancouver Canucks).

We'll see what happens...

I don't know if it's a good idea to trade either of them this season. Kesler is a gifted PKer and considering the Canucks aren't scoring, it would be really stupid to move him. Not to mention that a team looking for a centre like Kesler probably won't want to deal a top 6 forward in return. As for Edler, he's had a rough year, but I think it would be a better idea to trade another asset and find Edler a partner to play with.

Ever since Sami Salo left, Edler hasn't been the same. Some defencemen just play better when they have the right partner. (See: Keith/Seabrook,and formerly Weber/Suter)

It might be just an off year, but something is really wrong with Hamhuis, he doesn't look anything like the defenceman he used to be. Canucks may want to take a chance asking him to be moved for some assets.

I know the Islanders won't part with him on the cheap, but Vanek would be great to plug into the lineup, even as a rental. At this point, anyone with offensive abilities would be welcome.

vanek doesn't hit... won't be torts player ....

Archived