The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] via the Score: Penguins made a trade offer for Kesler...

Getting Creative

The Pittsburgh Penguins will try their best to acquire Ryan Kesler from the Vancouver Canucks before the Trade Deadline.

According to TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger, Penguins GM Ray Shero will do everything he can to trade for Kesler by Wednesday's deadline.

Dreger reports the Penguins aren't the only team showing interest in the veteran centre, however, with the Detroit Red Wings, Columbus Blue Jackets, and New York Rangers also showing interest.

Among other topics Dreger touched on was Rangers forward Ryan Callahan's softening contract demands and the several veterans that could be on the move before Wednesday's deadline.

Surprise Trade Piece

Despite not playing a game since late November, Dallas Stars defenceman Stephane Robidas may still be a hot commodity at the Trade Deadline.

Dreger tweeted that the veteran blueliner, who has been out with a broken leg, is garnering interest. Robidas, 37, could be back by mid-March, according to Dreger.

Netminder Insurance

Heading to the playoffs, the Minnesota Wild may be looking for some insurance for rookie goaltender Darcy Kuemper.

TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun of ESPN.com reports that Ryan Miller isn't likely to be the only goalie moved before the deadline, and New Jersey Devils veteran netminder Martin Brodeur could be a perfect fit for the Wild.

The Wild need another goalie with Niklas Backstrom battling injuries and Josh Harding out indefinitely after his MS flared up, and Brodeur could be receptive to a move to Minnesota where his son plays high school hockey and good friend Zach Parise on the team.

Keeping Pace

In light of the St. Louis Blues' acquisition of goalie Ryan Miller, several of the Blues' rivals in the Western Conference could make moves to keep pace with the team.

According to Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal, teams like the Chcago Blackhawks, San Jose Sharks, Los Angeles Kings, and Anaheim Ducks could be looking to add talent as well.

Names floating around for those teams include Thomas Vanek, Matt Moulson, Tyler Myers, and Andrew MacDonald.

Landing Spots

Matheson also took a look at the Edmonton Oilers and where some of their tradable assets may wind up.

Forwards Ales Hemsky and Ryan Smyth could be on the move while defenceman Nick Schultz may also be traded. Schultz is one of several defencemen Matheson reports the Boston Bruins are looking at, with others including MacDonald, Chris Phillips, and Andrej Meszaros.

Pressing Forward

Despite not being in a playoff spot as of Monday, the Ottawa Senators are expected to be buyers at the Trade Deadline.

Senators owner Eugene Melnyk said during Sunday's Heritage Classic that his team is definitely not going to be sellers this season.

John Vogl of the Buffalo News reports that recently acquired forward Chris Stewart is a candidate to be flipped to the Senators before the deadline.

When I look at the Penguins noteworthy trades I feel they have ripped off everyone.

They ether give up very little and get mass production from the player they get.

They give up a player and get a large return then that player starts to suck.

They give up what looks like a good package but then they all turn out to be busts.

When I look at the Penguins noteworthy trades I feel they have ripped off everyone.

They ether give up very little and get mass production from the player they get.

They give up what looks like a good package but then they all turn out to be busts.

Yeah Pittsburg is sneaky. It's like they know something the other GM's don't regarding their own players and prospects. Pouliot is a 20 year old junior. Why is he so highly regarded? And the rest are worse.

No Maatta no Kesler. Final.

That's player development and scouting for ya. Dumping players before they go bad. I'd say stay away from Pittsburgh, MG!

Have had some time to process this whole "Kesler Fiasco" now.

After he and his agent both shot down the request, I thought "Reporter wanting exposure. Coupled with Gillis saying he wouldn't ask players to waive NTC/NMC, made me think this probably wouldn't happen. Yes, you can listen to other GMs proposals, but listening is just good business.

I also think that moving Kesler is such a risky move. He is one of those few players that riles up the rest of the team. When he plays well, the rest of the team manages to pick up their boots. Another example of this is Dustin Byfuglien. When he scores or delivers a big hit, momentum shifts immediately. Kesler is that type of player, and moving someone like him is not easily replaced.

He's also a fan favourite (like many Canucks). I didn't just recently buy my first Canucks jersey in 10 years and put his name on it for no reason. The guy plays with grit and intensity that every team desires.

But at the end of the day, his value is through the roof. And while people here like to crap on Gillis, he really has done a great job with this team since he took over. He ended up adding the right pieces to make this team a SCF team and 2 time President's Trophy winner. However, like most teams that have made the final, only to lose and then subsequently have not gone back (ie: Red Wings '09, Flyers '10, Canucks '11, Devils '12), retooling a team is not easy. On one hand, you want to keep the players that got you there, but on the other, you know you have to make the team better.

With Gillis, he is now in the position to significantly alter the face of this team, which actually began last summer when he moved Schneider; a bold move considering few were expecting that. Although a lot of idiots want Gillis gone, you have to see what he can do with the team when significant changes need to be made, not just when things are going well and trying to stay a SCF team. Wait until he's made those moves and what he's managed to get in return. Getting Horvat for Schneider was a great trade, at least in my openion. Only time will tell, but flipping a backup goaltender (not proven as full time starter) for a 9th overall pick in a deep draft year is a good move. Ryan Miller and Steve Ott got the Sabres Chris Stewart, Halak (UFA), Carrier, what will be a low first round pick in 2015 and a conditional 3rd in 2016. Really, the Canucks got great value, considering what teams are getting for goalies.

Let's wait to see what Gillis can get for "possibly" moving Kesler and "possibly" moving Luongo come the deadline or most likely at the draft (Luongo's case).

Yeah Pittsburg is sneaky. It's like they know something the other GM's don't regarding their own players and prospects. Pouliot is a 20 year old junior. Why is he so highly regarded? And the rest are worse.

No Maatta no Kesler. Final.

Maatta would be a nice piece to get back.

I do think the Canucks would have some extra insight on Pouliot. Travis Green, who is coaching Utica this year, coached Pouliot for a few years with Portland in the WHL.

Would we really been more competitive this year with all those players in the line-up?

Would we really been younger with a brighter future?

Grabner (3 cap hit) (Age 25) has 11 goals this year, Kassian has just as many plus he provides a physical presence

Hodgson (4.25 cap hit) (Age 25) plays 1st line and only has 15 goals, 2 more then what we call a slumping Daniel Sedin.

Torres (2 cap hit) (Age 31) Has only played 13 games in the last 2 years due to injuries and suspension. Would have provided us nothing in the last 2 years

Ehrhoff (4 cap hit for the next 7 years) (Age 30) only has 6 goals

Salo (3.75 cap hit) (Age 38) has provided the lightning with a big 2 goals

You know what that equals? A total of a 17 million cap hit and a total of 36 goals with an average age of 29.4

If those players were still on the team we would not have the following players for either cap reason, no trades, or roster limits

Santo (.55 cap hit) (Age 27) has provided the canucks with 10 goals this year

Kassian (.87 cap hit) (Age 22) has provided the canucks with 11 goals this year

Garrison (4.6 cap hit) (Age 28) has provided the canucks with 7 goals this year

Stanton (.55 cap hit) (Age 23) has provided the canucks with 1 goals this year

Richardson (1.15 cap hit) (Age 28) has provided the canucks with 8 goal this year

You know what that equals? A total of a 7.72 million cap hit and a total of 37 goals with an average age of 25.8

Now with Schneider he was a tough loss (in my opinion a top 5 goalie in the NHL), but with the emergence of Lack and the added bonus of Horvat our future is even brighter than having just Schneider alone.

So although what you said sounds good but when you dig into the reality, the canucks would not have been more competitive as 6 players you’ve mentioned have provided 1 less goal and $9 million more in cap hit. Nor would we be a younger team with a brighter future unless you think Hodgson was going to be the corner stone of this team for years to come.

Edited: I mixed stanton and richardsons goal up, fixed now

couldn't agree more .. anyone who is defending gillis is not seeing things very clearly

sticker,375x360.u2.png

Getting Creative

The Pittsburgh Penguins will try their best to acquire Ryan Kesler from the Vancouver Canucks before the Trade Deadline.

According to TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger, Penguins GM Ray Shero will do everything he can to trade for Kesler by Wednesday's deadline.

Dreger reports the Penguins aren't the only team showing interest in the veteran centre, however, with the Detroit Red Wings, Columbus Blue Jackets, and New York Rangers also showing interest.

Among other topics Dreger touched on was Rangers forward Ryan Callahan's softening contract demands and the several veterans that could be on the move before Wednesday's deadline.

Surprise Trade Piece

Despite not playing a game since late November, Dallas Stars defenceman Stephane Robidas may still be a hot commodity at the Trade Deadline.

Dreger tweeted that the veteran blueliner, who has been out with a broken leg, is garnering interest. Robidas, 37, could be back by mid-March, according to Dreger.

Netminder Insurance

Heading to the playoffs, the Minnesota Wild may be looking for some insurance for rookie goaltender Darcy Kuemper.

TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun of ESPN.com reports that Ryan Miller isn't likely to be the only goalie moved before the deadline, and New Jersey Devils veteran netminder Martin Brodeur could be a perfect fit for the Wild.

The Wild need another goalie with Niklas Backstrom battling injuries and Josh Harding out indefinitely after his MS flared up, and Brodeur could be receptive to a move to Minnesota where his son plays high school hockey and good friend Zach Parise on the team.

Keeping Pace

In light of the St. Louis Blues' acquisition of goalie Ryan Miller, several of the Blues' rivals in the Western Conference could make moves to keep pace with the team.

According to Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal, teams like the Chcago Blackhawks, San Jose Sharks, Los Angeles Kings, and Anaheim Ducks could be looking to add talent as well.

Names floating around for those teams include Thomas Vanek, Matt Moulson, Tyler Myers, and Andrew MacDonald.

Landing Spots

Matheson also took a look at the Edmonton Oilers and where some of their tradable assets may wind up.

Forwards Ales Hemsky and Ryan Smyth could be on the move while defenceman Nick Schultz may also be traded. Schultz is one of several defencemen Matheson reports the Boston Bruins are looking at, with others including MacDonald, Chris Phillips, and Andrej Meszaros.

Pressing Forward

Despite not being in a playoff spot as of Monday, the Ottawa Senators are expected to be buyers at the Trade Deadline.

Senators owner Eugene Melnyk said during Sunday's Heritage Classic that his team is definitely not going to be sellers this season.

John Vogl of the Buffalo News reports that recently acquired forward Chris Stewart is a candidate to be flipped to the Senators before the deadline.

So...ya there is a pre-existing thread for ALL Daily TSN trade rumours. This exact post was put in there at 8 am. The reason that thread exists is to take away these exact posts daily and to whittle down the clutter.

This is a very good post!

About the only question mark is the Philly offer; Couts, Simmonds and Hagg possibly?

Not disagreeing with the relative value compared to the Richards deal. I just see the stock of those players having risen since that trade? If that Philly deal was on the table, you gotta go that way... Philly has proven time and again they will pay for what they want, so expensive or not might be a go?

I prefer Schenn, but see it less viable for them. Not particularly interested in Read.

Johanson and Erixson? Prob not wrong value wise; I just cant see (I wouldn't) put that on the table considering their lot in life. It would be my first choice!

I also think Sutter is the gravy, not the meat in any Pitt deal. The cap balancer in reality, nothing more. Maata and Bennett, or Pouliot, Bennett and a first (both with the cap balancer Sutter). I prefer the Pouliot deal. Happy with either anyway! Taking the Philly or CBJ deal first though. Their players are that much closer to prime time.

Any predictions?

Any personal fave deal there for yourself?

thanks Surfer.

I don't know or have any predictions. My hunch would be that Philly is the least likely to pay the price - Holmgren hasn't been that aggressive at trade deadlines, and If I were them I probably wouldn't be center shopping as much as trying to fortify my back end whether with the right complementary blueliner or an upgrade in goal (although they did extend Mason 3 years and he's having a good season). 7 guys on their blueline with 3.5 or greater cap hit (including Pronger) - Timmonen (35+ at 38), Meszaros and Gill are UFAs... I would guess that's where most of their action would be - maybe try to rent a few of those guys?

My preference would be a CBJ deal because of Johansen, Dubinsky and Anisimov. I think they have the best center pieces to offer and in addition, I like Jenner and Erixon. Dubinsky in some ways might make the most sense - he's a very solid two way center who is quite physical and great in the faceoff circle. I don't think the Canucks concede a great deal in the short run in that deal - and needless to say, the CBJ are much more prone to move him than Johansen. In either event, they did turn around and acquire Gaborik (a deal I didn't care for) after Howson had done pretty damn well in the Nash deal. Kesler gives them a lot of marketability/legitimacy and the kind of veteran leadership they could use. I like the balance of prospects they have as well - lots of options there. The Johansen deal might be my favorite, but a Dubinsky (I think the Canucks were pretty high on him when the Rags were shopping him), Jenner and Erixon (there's your puck mover) deal would be very tempting and I wouldn't second guess it for a moment. I'd also welcome an Anisimov, Jenner, Erixon, pick deal. The strenght of the CBJ is that they have 3 acceptable center options imo.

Pitts is a little less appealing, but Shero is very aggressive at deadlines, and I could see why they'd really want to revisit a 3- 1C makeup. Imo Maata might be the most appealing piece of any being discussed, but what accompanies him is less compelling. If a Luo for Brock Nelson/Nabokov deal could be swung at the same time, I wouldn't be quite as concerned about thinning out the present roster at C. The CBJ deals imo offer a better balance of now and future. Pittsburgh deal - riskier - and with more pivoting on a single prospect. I'd think the CBJ would be willing to do something like Dub, Jenner and Erixon, so imo if Shero truly wants Kesler, he has to pony up Maata. Folks seem to think that's not a possibility with Letang's health in question, but those are two different types of blueliners, and ironically, Pouliot is the guy who's more likely to fill Letang's skates if his future is in question. I've probably seen as much of Pouliot as any of the young players being talked about - a lot of exposure at the WJC and have watched Portland live in the dub. Yes, he can dangle, and if Maata weren't an option, and the CBJ weren't in play, I might take him, but would expect considerably more given Pitts is offering not much in the way of NH- ready and much more in the way of risk and futures. Perhaps if they add a guy like Dumoulin on top of Sutter, Pouliot and a 1st/Bennett, it makes them a little more competitive with what the CBJ can offer.

An option is to add Diaz and/or Weber to any Pitts deal to compensate them in the short run for their loss of depth on the blueline when they give us Maata. I also don't share the opinions of a lot of people on Sutter - I don't consider him a 'C' roster player - I think he's better and has more potential than is generally being bantered about, but I welcome the devaluations given it serves the Canucks interests that he be considered a cap throw in. If Pitts really wants to trump CBJ, offer us Maata and Pouliot (who is not ready to step in for Letang in any event imo) with Sutter and we'll throw in Diaz/Wever to shore up their present depth. One thing's a non-starter though - the rumours excluding both of these blueliners are Pitts pipe dreams imo.

Russo was on the Team1040 today talking about the Pens interest in Kesler:

http://www.teamradio.ca/podcast/team_interviews/Rob_Rossi_KeslerRumours_with_BMacTaylor_Mar3rd2014~.mp3

The gist is that the Pens are willing to basically best any other offer but just aren't sure the Canucks will actually move Kesler. Some other notes:

• Shero, Bylsma and Granato all fans of Kesler, Shero had raved about Kesler in the past and compared him to Staal but as a better offensive player
  • Pouliot could be the ace card to get a deal done but may not rush to offer Pouliot plus another D as well
  • Best possible deal may be Sutter, Pouliot plus a 1st and 3rd rounder, may not want to go much more than that unless they feel they have to since they feel it's a hockey trade (Kesler having two years of contract left after this year)
  • Maatta is really the only player under 21 off the table, won't be moved under any circumstance
  • Bennett could be included to sweeten it perhaps, but the Pens would have to get somebody else back to fill other holes (same for any other roster player included)
  • Compared it potentially to Hossa trade (with Atlanta)
  • Sutter is a very good hockey player, miscast, defensively sound match up center, but to get more offensively will have to play top 6 and won't get that opportunity in Pittsburgh
  • Pens very high on Pouliot, maybe a year away from being an NHL regular, maybe even AHL to NHL next year, considered #1 prospect at this point and says a lot of what they think of Kesler they'd even consider including him
  • Pens are favs if Kesler is traded by deadline, if he isn't then the Pens will come back in the offseason to try and get him

I think the value is higher now with demand for teams trying to bolster their rosters for the playoffs and waiting until the draft runs the risk of Kesler getting injured and his value dropping.

Gotta get Philly into the mix more.

Not really hearing a whole lot about them.

Stuff I saw on twitter today from Philly beat writers at a Holmgren presser, not that interested happy with his c depth, and I can't blame him

Giroux

Schenn

Clouts

Pretty darn good

Stuff I saw on twitter today from Philly beat writers at a Holmgren presser, not that interested happy with his c depth, and I can't blame him

Giroux

Schenn

Clouts

Pretty darn good

With Laughton coming up they can easily afford to trade Schenn. Especially since he's an RFA after this season.

Giroux

Kesler

Couturier

Laughton

Much better.

Richardson

Kesler

For

Pouliot

Sutter

Bennett

1st 2014

Richardson

Kesler

For

Pouliot

Sutter

Bennett

1st 2014

I'd rather give them Shroeder then Richardson.

No place on this team. He has had his chances.

Sutter 3C

Richardson 4C

Gotta get Philly into the mix more.

Not really hearing a whole lot about them.

They were scouting Edler, said they weren't interested in Kes. But if we can bring back a good offensive force and only give up a d man, all the better in my mind. Trading Kes would require a higher return but is less likely to happen IMO

Kesler trade needs to pan out a top end blue chip forward if it means you get a smaller package back so be it. Young dmen are risks it's way to hit and miss, GMs shy away more and more at the draft for a reason selecting top dmen later in rounds with the exception of the super studs and even those often do not pan out.

Plus one of the only things Vancouver is half decent at is developing dmen, Edler, Bieksa, Tanev, for example all selected late or not at all in Tanev's case and all impact dmen in the NHL.... go with a forward, when is the last time this team even had an exciting forward under the ages of 25?

With Laughton coming up they can easily afford to trade Schenn. Especially since he's an RFA after this season.

Giroux

Kesler

Couturier

Laughton

Much better.

Agree it is great but, offer for kes is high value and unless you think they are pushing for a cup.

Not losing any prospects

Giroux

Schenn

Couturier

Laughton

Not bad

Archived