The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Kesler is still a Canuck

Derp...

During the game against the Canucks, Shorty mentioned that there was a report (unconfirmed) out of Fla that Thomas "went postal" upon hearing of Lou's acquisition and demanded a trade out of town. Hard to know if true, but TT's actions in the past make it a distinct possibility.

It says in that article that the Pens wanted Kes "badly". However, the offer they made puts lie to that statement. Pouliot and Bennet would show that they badly want him. Despres or Dumoulin say they want him somewhat.

IF Pittsburgh wanted Kes badly, Bennett, Sutter, Pouliot, 1st is something that would've given Gillis something to think about.

IF Pittsburgh wanted Kes badly, Bennett, Sutter, Pouliot, 1st is something that would've given Gillis something to think about.

More than think about, IMO. I think that deal would have been accepted, as long as ownership didn't step in and veto the deal.

Which will never happen, and has never happened.

Hard to know if true or not, (there was a report stating that someone in Pittsburgh has apologized to the Canucks for spreading that rumour) however, this is not the first time that there have been reports of ownership forcing Gillis' hand. (Torts over Stevens for example)

I remember FA saying something to the effect of "my brothers and I know hockey" and calling himself a "fan". It's not a stretch to think that he might believe he knows what's best for the team, moreso than MG.

Heck, most of CDC thinks the same....

During the game against the Canucks, Shorty mentioned that there was a report (unconfirmed) out of Fla that Thomas "went postal" upon hearing of Lou's acquisition and demanded a trade out of town. Hard to know if true, but TT's actions in the past make it a distinct possibility.

Tim, do you think you could co-exist with Roberto?

"Yeah. Of course. He's a good goalie...and from everything I've heard about him he's got good character."

Do you want to stay here?

"Yeah, but now I've got to see the situation. See what they're thinking. I'd like to check in with Dale before commenting."

"I did have one line that I thought up: It looked like Dale went kicking some tires and found one that needed to be pumped."

"I'm looking forward to it. It should be fun."

"I wasn't an enemy of him....We're both pros."

Evidently Tallon thought better of having one of these guys backing the other up.

http://nesn.com/2014...d-to-be-pumped/

From Friedman's 30 thoughts this week: http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockey/opinion/2014/03/30-thoughts-canucks-brass-must-resist-panic.html

1. Canuck rumour I: That the Aquilini family forced Tortorella on Gillis. Verdict: Skeptical. The choice came down to Tortorella or John Stevens, whose name you are going to hear a lot for any openings this summer. I believe there was an agreement to go with the more experienced candidate.

2. Canuck rumour II: That ownership blocked Gillis from trading Ryan Kesler at the deadline. Verdict: Don't believe it. As mentioned above, Aquilini was well aware of the GM's plans. It would not be the least bit surprising if an interested team or two told Vancouver it could be involved at the draft, but not now, for cap reasons. Also, when Kesler said no to Columbus, the Rangers and Philadelphia, the Canucks may have pulled back because they didn't like the situation.

3. It is believed the six teams to which Kesler would accept a deal at the deadline were Anaheim, Chicago, Colorado, Detroit, Pittsburgh and Tampa Bay. Only two -- the Ducks and Penguins -- were really in it, though.

4. Canuck rumour III: That ownership is courting Trevor Linden. Verdict: God only knows. We interviewed Linden for our piece on the 1994 Canucks, and off-handedly asked him about being a GM. He didn't seem that interested.

There's more about the GM and coaching as well, which I've left in the quote above. He doesn't believe a change is a good idea right now. Gillis because ownership met with Gillis twice prior to the deadline and approved his plans for the team moving forward. Torts because he recommends letting the season play out.

Whatever you think, and remembering these are just rumours at this point, we do know there haven't been any rumours for offers that people agreed were reasonable.

He doesn't believe a change is a good idea right now. Gillis because ownership met with Gillis twice prior to the deadline and approved his plans for the team moving forward. Torts because he recommends letting the season play out.

Whatever you think, and remembering these are just rumours at this point, we do know there haven't been any rumours for offers that people agreed were reasonable.

Yesterday on team 1040, Friedman said he didn't think Avalanche were interested in Kesler. They have enough C's.

Avalance out. Anaheims a division rival. Chicago is a long time team rival.

That leaves Pittsburg, Tampa, Detroit. Of these 3, NONE of these teams have a quality youngish roster centre to send the Canucks way in a Kesler trade. Even Anaheim and Chicago don't have that centre (Etems not quality roster currently). And Avalanche is out.

He has no choice but to expand his list of teams if he wants to be trade. It's plain and simple. Also curious if they try and convince him to stay this summer? I bet they do.

Yesterday on team 1040, Friedman said he didn't think Avalanche were interested in Kesler. They have enough C's.

That leaves Pittsburg, Tampa, Detroit. Of these 3, NONE of these teams have a quality youngish roster centre to send the Canucks way in a Kesler trade. Even Anaheim and Chicago don't have that centre (Etems not quality roster currently). And Avalanche is out.

He has no choice but to expand his list of teams if he wants to be trade. It's plain and simple. Also curious if they try and convince him to stay this summer? I bet they do.

Why does it have to be a center coming back? Horvat, Gaunce, Cassels.........all centers....

I'd be happy to get a scoring winger, either a young roster player, or a blue chip prospect.

So, the general consensus is that Kesler does in fact want out of Vancouver?

We picked up Mathias.

It does give us scope to target a PMD, dynamic winger or both. Organizationally, these were bigger needs anyway. We just could not get by without a center so as to not over rely on Horvat, Gaunce or Schroeder next year.

Who is to say who is in or out?

Philly is out? Columbus? What make Colorado out? Yes, they have a wealth of young centers - one a pending UFA, another a pending RFA....but who is to say they wouldn't be interested in changing their mix and adding a veteran to a young group?

Friedman is a bit off his game lately imo. He was selling the NW crutch theory recently - obviously not having bothered to check his facts, nor having followed this team very closely. I generally consider him the cream at the CBC, but osmosis may be having an inevitable adverse effect.

The Canucks also don't necessarily have to take a center back in a deal in the summer. I could see that being a condition at the trade deadline, when still in a playoff race, and with Santo out, Richardson limping, and Henrik not looking 100%. But in the summer, the options are more open. They may even be able to make an epic signing - Stastny could be a UFA for example - and if that were to happen, there'd be even less need of a particular type of asset required in return.

As MG commented - there were a whole lot of thngs reported and the vast majority of them patently false. I wouldn't write teams like Columbus out of the mix quite yet - and moreover, for some reason they went out of their way to have Umberger publicly dispel the rumours/assumptions that he wouldn't want to play with Kesler - why bother if not interested? The assumption that Kesler wouldn't waive to go somewhere like Ohio - is also just that.

For me, I think the market could be very wide open - Philly, Pit, Det, CBJ, Tampa, Colorado, Anaheim, perhaps even St Louis....who knows?

Archived