The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Kesler is still a Canuck

Derp...

The plan was to have Lu to play til some time in the late 201X and retire him as a Canuck before the contract finishes. For 5.333M cap hit every year that would've been a good plan.

Factors that changed things:

1) Lu showed cracks in the playoffs

2) Schneider got really good

3) Resulting from 1) and 2), fans turned on him

4) New CBA screw our plan up

the problem is even before he signed that extension, he choked big time against the blackhawks in game 6. a real gm and a real owner would take that as a warning sign but gillis and francesco, well... case of the blind leading the blind

After taking it all in today, one thing is certain. You can't trust a single thing anyone in the media says.

Farhan Lalji is a perfect example. He is an opportunistic snake who revels in spreading rumour after rumour offering nothing more than heresay. On 1040, this afternoon he stated that Tortorella is not liked by anyone on the roster, but could only say he was told this by players off the record. Wouldn't mention names or reasons, just baseless facts.

Vancouver is a tough city to play in because the press are a bunch of gutless parasites who fabricate issues to sell press, and a desperate, gullible fan base laps it up, begging for more.

Couldn't agree more....they play games and twist things around to make something out of nothing. So true....

If Shero was only offering Sutter and a 1st thats awful. How can that be the only offer? Sounds like Kesler said Penguins or bust. If so, Kesler can rot with the rest of the team for the rest of the season.

I believe it was Sutter,a 1st,and. 3rd.......That's kind of an insult ...It's a good thing that were not desperate to trade Kesler,although having him festering in the room next season would be a really bad idea.....Kesler is not doing the Canucks any favors by only having 3-4 teams that he will play on...This season has been a disaster.

For God's sake, Kesler never demanded for a trade. Gillis was just listening to offers since teams where checking to see if Gillis was willing to part ways with Kesler.

Stop believing in every damn rumour you read about on Twitter.

There were no great offers today from what everyone was saying. So be thankful we are not freaking out about how we traded kes for a third liner and first. or for 2 firsts.

None of the good teams want to give up their young roster players. It set Ottawa back last year and that is lingering.

Every GM knows if Kes doesn't work for them they are fired so they don't want to give up the future.

The team spending large on a rental winger at this point would have been beyond idiotic. And yet some of us wanted it to be done. Hmmm.

Collberg and a 2nd for Vanek is large?

I wouldn't have minded that.

I'm pretty sure Vanek could bury the golden opportunities Burrows and Hansen are getting.

Did Farhan tell you that?

There were also reports that it was Sutter, Pouliot, and a 1st. It's all which insiders you believe.

It makes no sense to not be buyers or sellers. Looks to me like we're just staying right in the middle again.

One person (Rossi) noted that he thought Shero could be convinced to upgrade his offer from the reported deal (again by him) of Sutter, one of Despres or Dumoulin, a 1st and a 3rd. The report today (the tweet has been posted, it wasn't by Rossi) was that the best Shero offered in their negotiations was Sutter, a 1st this year and a 2nd next year. That's clearly not worthwhile in return for Kesler.

There certainly appear to be some reports that don't quite fit with others, so it depends on who you believe for what truly happened. One thing I think we can be sure of is that there was likely never any offer suitable for Gillis to accept as we never saw a reported offer that I'd have taken, only possibilities for what Shero might be convinced to offer.

Oh ok well thats not very good unless it was like the ducks and ottawas firsts this year and then the ducks 1st in 2015 as well.Looks like he will go in the draft. He probably wont even end up with the Penguins.

I think it was Anaheims 1st,2nd,3rd.......no thanks

According to Botchford...they offered picks..no players.

It was Etem, a 1st, and a 2nd.

@taj1944 @omarcanuck well, we know it was sutter, 2 picks from pitts or ducks with Etem, and a 1st,2nd

I would have done that if it was Ottawa's first, which could be a top 10 pick.

It was Etem, a 1st, and a 2nd.

I would have done that if it was Ottawa's first, which could be a top 10 pick.

I find it hard to believe ducks would have offered Etem.... And I haven't heard that anywhere... Don't believe everything you read.

None of the teams offered any package that would have been acceptable to move Kesler. None. They lowballed and thought Gillis would bite. He didn't.

Fans should like that fact. Instead there is a contingent of whiny aholes bitching that the Canucks didn't do enough.

They'd bitch if he did make the trade too.

This team is losing games because they can't score goals. Adding a goal scorer would help us win and increase our chances of making the playoffs.

I'm not saying I would do this, but if the the Aquilini's are in fact running things, then this would be a move to make.

You do realize that this statement/your theory is entirely contradictory given the actual events, right?

Kesler will NEVER get traded, he'll walk as a UFA. That organisation internal leak says it all.
Kesler will want out asap because he has only so many prime years left.

He'll end up on an entitled team or one of Bettman's favoured project teams. This is par for the course for Canadian teams that subsidize US league growth and success.

Archived