The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jacob Markstrom | #25 | G

Honeydew

18 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm sure they're offering him a 3 or 4 year deal with no ED protection. AKA: gone in a year.

Living in Seattle over Edmonton/Calgary is an easy choice...but if all he wants now is the most $ and most term he likely signs somewhere on Friday and locks in a NMC.

2 hours ago, KirkSave said:

Living in Seattle over Edmonton/Calgary is an easy choice...but if all he wants now is the most $ and most term he likely signs somewhere on Friday and locks in a NMC.

Sure. But he could also go to Colorado or Carolina etc. Point is, HE GETS TO PICK. All while making more money, likely more term, ED protection, with more security of starting in one city/picking his team, coaches, etc and without immediately having to look over his shoulder at the guy looking to take all his starts.

The entire point is that we've made it clear we're protecting Demko. So he's either headed to Seattle (which could be good... or not - I'll take the mystery box!) which he has little control over, or he's traded soon after which he'd have even less control over. We could even send him somewhere awful, like Edmonton.

The UFA route provides him professional and family stability with more money, term, choice and expansion protection. Staying with us provides him none of that.

I'll be shocked if he's still a Canuck.

Edited by aGENT

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Sure. But he could also go to Colorado or Carolina etc. Point is, HE GETS TO PICK. All while making more money, likely more term, ED protection, with more security of starting in one city/picking his team, coaches, etc and without immediately having to look over his shoulder at the guy looking to take all his starts.

The entire point is that we've made it clear we're protecting Demko. So he's either headed to Seattle (which could be good... or not - I'll take the mystery box!) which he has little control over, or he's traded soon after which he'd have even less control over. We could even send him somewhere awful, like Edmonton.

The UFA route provides him professional and family stability with more money, term, choice and expansion protection. Staying with us provides him none of that.

I'll be shocked if he's still a Canuck.

Colorado/Carolina aren't bad cities.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, aGENT said:

I'm sure they're offering him a 3 or 4 year deal with no ED protection. AKA: gone in a year.

Eriksson has very little to do with Markstrom not re-signing. You can thank Demko and the ED for that.

Wasted money on a nameplate in the dressing room.. could be utilized better.

6 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Is this assumed, or stated?

In the context of being asked about the ED/Marky's extension and a possible NMC, Benning declared Demko the goalie of the future and went on about how highly they think of him.

He didn't explicitly state it but it was pretty clear.

Edited by aGENT
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Squamfan said:

Dreger thinks Edmonton could give Markstrom 6 or 7 years if given the opportunity. Would you do 7 years at over 5 mill? (1260)

$5M would be a bargain IMO. I'm expecting him to get at least $6M on the open market unless he's getting a full NMC for the duration of the contract.

Johnston on Markstrom: They've been reluctant to include a NMC....the money as well has not got to level he would hope to get to.

Johnston thinks Markstrom is going to market unless something comes out of left field. Mentions he could circle back to the Canucks if he doesn't like the offers. (960)

33 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

Johnston on Markstrom: They've been reluctant to include a NMC....the money as well has not got to level he would hope to get to.

Johnston thinks Markstrom is going to market unless something comes out of left field. Mentions he could circle back to the Canucks if he doesn't like the offers. (960)

That's fine.  Naslund, the Sedin's, and Edler all went into unrestricted free agency before resigning with the Canucks.  Maybe it's a Swedish thing?

I love Markstrom, but if he is insisting on a NMC, than the Canucks have to find another goalie.  Demko is our future, and with the expansion draft next summer, we can only protect one. 

I wonder if the Canucks should be keeping Markstrom and trading Demko? I'm a big Demko fan, but Markstrom was the MVP last year and has a few years of great goaltending left in him. He's proven, and I believe they want to win now. It starts with stellar goaltending, Markstrom has given that.

I also wonder if one of the reasons OEL wants to come to VAN is because of Markstrom, apparently they're friends? If Markstrom walks, will OEL still really want to be here? The Canucks could get a lot for Demko, I would think even rid themselves of the Eriksson and Sutter contracts. 

23 hours ago, Squamfan said:

reading in between the lines it could be good or bad

That almost sounds like we are not going to bring any of the 3 back.

I think Marky's hole will be filled as JB said within (Demko) and probably through free agency.

Losing Toffoli is also fine. We might pick up a player like Wenneberg to strengthen scoring depth, move Gaud to wing, JV might take a step forward, and etc.

But how the heck are we going to replace Tanev? Unless JB is all in on getting OEL. Even then, OEL is not going to replace all of the tough minutes that Tanev played like the PK for example. Maybe JB is planning on signing AP?

19 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I wonder if the Canucks should be keeping Markstrom and trading Demko? I'm a big Demko fan, but Markstrom was the MVP last year and has a few years of great goaltending left in him. He's proven, and I believe they want to win now. It starts with stellar goaltending, Markstrom has given that.

I also wonder if one of the reasons OEL wants to come to VAN is because of Markstrom, apparently they're friends? If Markstrom walks, will OEL still really want to be here? The Canucks could get a lot for Demko, I would think even rid themselves of the Eriksson and Sutter contracts. 

if you look at the history of teams deciding between the younger and promising goalie and a veteran. The teams that went with the younger goalie always had sucess. Montreal was in the same situation with Price and Halak. They went with Price , a Vezina and Hart winner.Halak was meh after that. Same with ranger in 1980s went with Rickter over Vanesbrook, they end winning a cup

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, thundernuts said:

That's fine.  Naslund, the Sedin's, and Edler all went into unrestricted free agency before resigning with the Canucks.  Maybe it's a Swedish thing?

I love Markstrom, but if he is insisting on a NMC, than the Canucks have to find another goalie.  Demko is our future, and with the expansion draft next summer, we can only protect one. 

I think Sedins signed the night before free agency. Gillis flew over to Sweden to get them signed.

Edler also didn't hit UFA. Maybe I'm wrong.

Don't remember Nazzy but I think he was also re-signed before UFA. 

If Marky is going to UFA, he will definitely be getting the term and money from some team. Been wrong before and hope I'm wrong but I'd say Marky is good as gone if not re-signed by the opening of UFA.