The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jacob Markstrom | #25 | G

Honeydew

I'm surprised no one has started a thread yet,

I wasn't sure if he was a prospect any more so I made this thread in the CT forum

The American Hockey League announced March 3, 2014 that Jacob Markstrom of the San Antonio Rampage has been selected as the CCM/AHL Goaltender of the Month for February. Video courtesy of SendtoNews.

With San Antonio on its 10-game rodeo road trip, Markstrom made seven appearances during the month, stopping 186 of 195 shots and going 4-1-1 with a 1.31 goals-against average, a .954 save percentage and two shutouts.

http://www.theprovin...8950/story.html

http://www.mysananto...nth-5285101.php

Where did he go wrong in his development? Florida had super high hopes on this kid?

Where did Schneider go wrong in his development? He didn't enter the NHL till he was 24.

Some goalies just take longer. Florida was being very safe with his development because they saw him as their franchise goalie.

Obviously with new ownership willing to spend money, they wanted to go with a big name starter like Luongo.

Markstrom is an interesting case. He's pretty well dominated the AHL but struggled at the NHL level. I hope he can get the NHL level figured out because he has the build to be a goalie that is almost impossible to score on.

Schneider had a .896 SV% and a 3.60 GAA in his first 10 NHL games at age 24. And he had a much better team in front of him.

Markstrom is still on a good development curve. Not sure why people would put higher expectations on him than Schneider.

The way i see it is that he's only 24 and at one time consider the best goalie outside the NHL. He still has potential to be an elite goalie and Rollie Melanson will definitely help him towards becoming just that. I was very excited when we got him.

Markstrom is an interesting case. He's pretty well dominated the AHL but struggled at the NHL level. I hope he can get the NHL level figured out because he has the build to be a goalie that is almost impossible to score on.

There is still lots of potential for Markstrom, no doubt about that...but he has hardly "dominated the AHL"

124 GP

61-58-7

.918 SV%

2.62 GAA

7 SO's

Those are solid AHL goalie #'s but for comparison lets look at Cory Schneider's AHL #'s

136 GP

84-45-5

.921 SV%

2.27 GA

12 SO's

There is still lots of potential for Markstrom, no doubt about that...but he has hardly "dominated the AHL"

124 GP

61-58-7

.918 SV%

2.62 GAA

7 SO's

Those are solid AHL goalie #'s but for comparison lets look at Cory Schneider's AHL #'s

136 GP

84-45-5

.921 SV%

2.27 GA

12 SO's

I think a lot of it is due to the team he was on. The save percentage spread between the two is quite small, while the record is significantly different. Obviously indicates the difference in team quality.

The only build impossible to score on is six feet wide by over 4 feet high.

That fellow would weigh in at 800 lbs or so... hey it might work...

Did anybody honestly think Eddie would be this good? It's so Rollie helping everyone realize their potential! Cory, Lu, and now Lack are all Nhl starters. That's 3 of 30. And though Lu was already established before, how many clubs can say 3 of their goalie are now full out Nhl starters? Rollie will turn Jacob into something pretty great!

He's a young guy, and just about anyone can look bad in Florida. Look where they've historically been in the standings. Just about any goalie is gonna look bad down there. A bad situation could hurt a young goaltender's development and confidence for sure!

That being said, I think he could still turn into something great. He's just turned 24, and if anyone can help turn his game around it's Rollie. Having history and being friends with Lack only helps, I could see our young goaltending tandem really pushing each other to be better. People are still going on about Schnieder, I think one of these guys could be just as good if not better given time.

It'll be exciting to see how Lack and Markstrom turn out for us.

I think it was a awesome trade for the Canucks!!!!

http://iphone.tsn.ca/tsnpodcasts//tsnradio/PMMar4.mp3

If there's one thing MacGuire knows it's prospects. If he's hyped on this guy, we should be too.

People always wanna judge trades too soon. But if Markstrom and Horvat reach their potential, nobody will be looking back on these trades as bad deals.

Edited by DeNiro

If there's one thing MacGuire knows it's prospects. If he's hyped on this guy, we should be too.

People always wanna judge trades too soon. But if Markstrom and Horvat reach their potential, nobody will be looking back on these trades as bad deals.

Agreed, we needed a top prospect in the organization. Markstrom has the tools, and if he gets close to his potential we will have a goalie for the next 8 years.

On top of that Matthias will be a useful forward for another 6 years probably. If he can develope into a 20 + 20 guy that will be pretty great. Wish we had him in 2012.

This deal has a lot of potential, it equates to two second round picks, and the best part is we already know they are at least serviceable NHLer's.

Most of our second round picks haven't worked out and I'm okay with acquiring these guys vs picks.

Little excited to see them tomorrow.

Yeah macguire said this trade was "larceny" for the Vancouver canucks