The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jacob Markstrom | #25 | G

Honeydew

On 8/22/2019 at 3:37 PM, Vanuckles said:

Nice clip reel, thanks for posting. 

2 glaring things stand out from those highlights.   First, how much athleticism Marky has and how well he reads plays now.  Second, other than the shorthanded/shootout situations, how often Marky was there bailing last year's team out of their pi$$ poor coverages.  Adding Myers/Benn and not re-upping you know who is really going to have an impact imo.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

2 glaring things stand out from those highlights.   First, how much athleticism Marky has and how well he reads plays now.  Second, other than the shorthanded/shootout situations, how often Marky was there bailing last year's team out of their pi$$ poor coverages.  Adding Myers/Benn and not re-upping you know who is really going to have an impact imo.

Hutton, Gudbranson, and Pouliot are involved in almost every play.

I think our additions (and subtractions) should make a big difference.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

True, but people aren't going to like me saying this - you can clearly see Tony Stretcher out there on several of those clips.  Now, He may have been a victim of his partner's bad positioning/decision making, but as you say, addition (and subtraction) will both help. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Agreed. Imo his play last year was not just #1 goalie level, but a top 5 goalie in the league. He made one ridiculous save after another and I'm sure it wasn't hard to put together a highlight reel. Marky has all the tools, it mostly just seemed mental/confidence with him before, but if he can carry the momentum and level of play he had last year into this year we should be in great shape to make the playoffs.

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, Vanuckles said:

Agreed. Imo his play last year was not just #1 goalie level, but a top 5 goalie in the league. He made one ridiculous save after another and I'm sure it wasn't hard to put together a highlight reel. Marky has all the tools, it mostly just seemed mental/confidence with him before, but if he can carry the momentum and level of play he had last year into this year we should be in great shape to make the playoffs.

What? Come on.....

I like Markstrom but he had the 34th highest save percentage of NHL goalies last year.

If you only look at goalies that played 40+ games Markstrom had the 19th highest save percentage. Even if you ONLY look at goalies that played 60+ games like Marky did, he only had the 7th highest save percentage.

Top 5? Haha.....that is ludicrous.

Could you argue he was around the 10th best?  Maybe....

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I counted:

1 shoot out

1 PK 27-51-64-26

of the 8 remaining:

Stecher 4/8 - 2 with 27

Hutton 4/8 - 2 with 51 - 2 with 44

Horvat 5/8 - 4 with 27- 2 with 27-51-21 and 2 with 27-44-18

Ericksson 4/8

Pearson 2/8

Virtanen 2/8 Both with 27-44-53

Edler 2/8 - 1 with 51

Tanev 2/8 - 1 with 5

Pouliot 2/8 - 51-8

Guber 2/8 Both with 27-53-18

7 times I could not make out the player, but know it was full strength

once or pk 47-17-64-26-60

so yes, Horvat, Stecher, Ericksson, Hutton

but no, Guber and Pouliot no more often than Tanev and Edler

Edited by lmm

2 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

What? Come on.....

I like Markstrom but he had the 34th highest save percentage of NHL goalies last year.

If you only look at goalies that played 40+ games Markstrom had the 19th highest save percentage. Even if you ONLY look at goalies that played 60+ games like Marky did, he only had the 7th highest save percentage.

I think there's an argument he was around 10th best maybe, but better than that is a stretch IMO.

• Cheers 1

On 9/8/2019 at 8:18 PM, Kanukfanatic said:

What? Come on.....

Save % doesn't mean anything if you're playing behind a rebuilding team. We constantly had extended pressure in our zone and defensive breakdowns. That comes with mental and physical fatigue and the fact that he still made so many saves off grade A chances should tell you that if he's playing with a better team in front of him (aka this year) he would be regarded as one of the best in the league. There were 8 goalies that played more than 60 games this year - bonafide starters - and he had a .912%, while 4 others had .913%. The 2 goalies with a better save % than Marky: Frederik Anderson and Carey Price (.917% and .918% respectively). So even for those 2 the difference isn't huge. Oh and most of the other goalies were playing on playoff teams.

He's in elite company, there's just no denying that. And that's just by looking at the stats. But I didn't have to look at stats to see how often he was making grade A saves every game. I'm sure there's an advanced stat out there that shows his save % for grade A chances and how it compares to others around the league. I'd be interested to know how he compares there. 

I guarantee you it wasn't hard to put together a highlight reel of saves this past year for Markstrom because there was so many to choose from. It's a question of whether he can maintain that level of play this year because if he can, our playoff chances are looking very good.

• Upvote 4

This year Marky will be playing behind an actual NHL defense without DP, Hutton and DZ and with Stecher on the third pairing.

His progress has been kinda slow, but he was once touted as the best goalie outside of the NHL and he has that inner spark, so I’m viewing this as a make or break season for him. Perfectly aligned with the last year of his contract as well, for both parties..

• Like 1

Markstrom was great last year. Feels like hes finally tapping into his huge potential.

You gotta admit, as much as Gillis was crucified by the media, the goaltending situation turned out alright. Bo Horvat is a stud 1B center & we got a younger goalie who's turned into a good starter. Got younger in net & added a huge piece of the next core. I know it wasnt according to plan but I hope Gillis gets his due for the result because this franchise got dragged through the mud relentlessly after 2011.

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

This should get some good ol' CDC complaining going....

The Atlantic asked the league's coaches and GM's to rank each team's starting goalie.  Markstrom only came in 22nd place out of 31.

I've been saying here for a while that Demko is our starter (beats out Marky) by Christmas.  

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

The Atlantic asked the league's coaches and GM's to rank each team's starting goalie.  Markstrom only came in 22nd place out of 31.

Reasonable. Last year he was at least top 15, but that's only one year. People want to see more consistency.

25 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Probably not completely out of whack, I'd put him middle of the pack until he can prove last year wasn't an anomaly (which I think he has in him). 

Curious if you could post what the consensus order was for poops and chuckles...

59 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Curious if you could post what the consensus order was for poops and chuckles...

Sure.  Needless to say, every coach and GM said what I've been saying since last season.  The Sabres have the worst goaltending in the league.  Hutton came in tied for last.

1.   Andrei Vasilevskiy
  2.   Carey Price
  3.   Sergei Bobrovsky
  4.   John Gibson
  5.   Tuukka Rask
  6.   Ben Bishop
  7.   Pekka Rinne
  8.   Marc-Andre Fleury
  9.   Braden Holtby
  10.   Frederik Andersen
  11.   Matt Murray
  12.   Connor Hellebuyck
  13.   Jordan Binnington
  14.   Henrik Lundqvist
  15.   Devan Dubnyk
  16.   Jonathan Quick
  17.   Semyon Varlamov - tie  Antti Raanta - tie
  18. .
  19.   Carter Hart
  20.   Philipp Grubauer
  21.   Corey Crawford
  22.   Jacob Markstrom
  23.   Martin Jones
  24.   Jimmy Howard
  25.   David Rittich
  26.   Petr Mrazek
  27.   Cory Schneider
  28.   Craig Anderson - tie   Joonas Korpisalo - tie
  29. .
  30.   Carter Hutton - tie   Mikko Koskinen - tie

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Sure.  Needless to say, every coach and GM said what I've been saying since last season.  The Sabres have the worst goaltending in the league.  Hutton came in tied for last.

1.   Andrei Vasilevskiy
  2.   Carey Price
  3.   Sergei Bobrovsky
  4.   John Gibson
  5.   Tuukka Rask
  6.   Ben Bishop
  7.   Pekka Rinne
  8.   Marc-Andre Fleury
  9.   Braden Holtby
  10.   Frederik Andersen
  11.   Matt Murray
  12.   Connor Hellebuyck
  13.   Jordan Binnington
  14.   Henrik Lundqvist
  15.   Devan Dubnyk
  16.   Jonathan Quick
  17.   Semyon Varlamov - tie  Antti Raanta - tie
  18. .
  19.   Carter Hart
  20.   Philipp Grubauer
  21.   Corey Crawford
  22.   Jacob Markstrom
  23.   Martin Jones
  24.   Jimmy Howard
  25.   David Rittich
  26.   Petr Mrazek
  27.   Cory Schneider
  28.   Craig Anderson - tie   Joonas Korpisalo - tie
  29. .
  30.   Carter Hutton - tie   Mikko Koskinen - tie

Yeah...I could probably argue him ahead of a few guys in that 10-20'ish grouping 'ahead' of him... and Binnington was a great story but has even less track record (and a pretty f'ing amazing D core in front of him) but mid pack'ish is fine with me. This year he can make a case for getting in to the 10-15 range if he can keep up what he started last year.

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Yeah...I could probably argue him ahead of a few guys in that 10-20'ish grouping 'ahead' of him... and Binnington was a great story but has even less track record (and a pretty f'ing amazing D core in front of him) but mid pack'ish is fine with me. This year he can make a case for getting in to the 10-15 range if he can keep up what he started last year.

You're welcome.

Not sure I'd call bottom 10 "mid-packish" though.  His biggest problem, and if I remember correctly they quoted a GM even saying it, was that he's inconsistent.  That's my only real beef with Markstrom as well.  For instance, last year he started out not so good for a while and then as the season progressed, he got much stronger in net.

Markstrom needs to be consistently good for an entire season so the Canucks can finally get back to the playoffs.