The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canucks vs Stars, March 6

Assistant GM

for the past 8 years our team has been a puck possession team, the more games i watch i see how little we posess the puck and how much we're dumping, chasing and not controlling any play and not scoring

some of this crap has to fall on torts...he doesn't get what we have and is trying to force players into a system that he knows vs adjusting his system to account for the strengths of his players...

this aint all on mg nor just the players

Agreed. I hate mg more than most people but torts is to blame and francesco for not letting the GM hire his own coach.

I always admire your optimism, so tell me your thoughts on why this team plays so apathetically?

I don't know yet. That's why I'm genuinely interested to hear what others think, but it's drowned out by CDCers yelling for MG's head because he's a guy in a suit. Just too much stupid person logic for my brain to handle.

I do notice, like MJJDawg mentioned, that we forecheck just fine when we want to but seem to arbitrarily not to for long periods. We also just don't skate periodically. We're as fast as anyone but for long periods stand around. It means we get caught out defensively and have to dive hoping to hit the puck like everyone loves to blame Edler of doing. But it's not just him, everyone looks like they're rocking a sick pair of tree trunks. It hurts us even more when we're up one and the goalie gets pulled because we give up so much room to work and are generally static obstacles.

Then offensively, it means no one is able to jump on a bounce and bury it before opposing players can react. It's always a process of getting up to speed, instead of powering straight to the puck because you were already moving.

I want to say it's a systems thing but at this point the Canucks are so bad at implementing any sort of system that it's hard to tell what their system is. It's more breakdown than system, which leads me to think that it's a coaching thing. The across-the-board production issues are conspicuous too.

People wonder why we aren't calling Jensen up? In this environment, it could break him. Why on Earth would you throw young prospects into the hole we're in? We're always looking for a savior but it's unfair to expect someone to come in and right the ship.

I'm glad he's staying where he is so he can build on the confidence rather than have it crushed.

Agreed. The kid is finally finding his bearings. Leave him there to feel good about his game.

Archived