The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Jim Benning signs as new Canucks GM

TheRussianRocket.

I wouldn't be so sure. Almost sounds like Linden may hire him, but that he won't be released until after the draft.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/Navigating+tricky+hiring+minefield/9812413/story.html

I actually think that experience might weigh in Benning's favor should he move. Chiarelli would be the last guy wanting to put a guy thorugh that I would think.

Bennings is waiting until Bruins are eliminated. He probably has the Canucks GM job number 1 in his list of destinations. I really think he will come here because there are just too many factors ... having a summer home in Portland etc. etc.

there's a reason why it's called a Summer home, it's because he uses it during the summer and not during the Hockey season :P

But what if Benning

I wouldn't be so sure. Almost sounds like Linden may hire him, but that he won't be released until after the draft.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/Navigating+tricky+hiring+minefield/9812413/story.html

But couldn't Chiarelli just resign from the Senators at the time? He was guaranteed the other job.

Same for Benning if he resign from the Bruins, he's not bound anymore and can sign whereever he wants. The danger, of course, is if Benning resigns and he's not hired anywhere else, he loses his job. But if somehow he knows he's the next Canucks' gm, then why not.

Not sure how that works exactly.

But what if Benning

But couldn't Chiarelli just resign from the Senators at the time? He was guaranteed the other job.

Same for Benning if he resign from the Bruins, he's not bound anymore and can sign whereever he wants. The danger, of course, is if Benning resigns and he's not hired anywhere else, he loses his job. But if somehow he knows he's the next Canucks' gm, then why not.

Not sure how that works exactly.

resigning would be breach of contract.

that said, the article about chiarelli is meaningless. assistant gm's are allowed to leave their jobs for better ones regularly. that was an isolated incident where eugene melnyk decided to be an asshole, as he's wont to do.

With Montreals loss, Jim Benning is 2 losses away from having a clear schedule to meet with Trevor Linden and inevitably get the job. Heck, he's probably conducting secret coaching interviews while we speak.

Another reason to cheer for the Habs.

resigning would be breach of contract.

that said, the article about chiarelli is meaningless. assistant gm's are allowed to leave their jobs for better ones regularly. that was an isolated incident where eugene melnyk decided to be an asshole, as he's wont to do.

He might resign but that does not let him go to Van. If under contract he cannot breach at will and

expect to resign somewhere else. Boston has to release him.

Hughson on Team1040 right now saying Benning and Paul Fenton from Nashville are the only two names he is hearing right now.

Either one of them would be a great choice and a significant improvement from Gillis. They both have experience in areas that Gillis never had, particularly with scouting and player development. We don't need a long list, just a good one. If this can be nailed down soon, then the search for a coach can get under way.

Hughson on Team1040 right now saying Benning and Paul Fenton from Nashville are the only two names he is hearing right now.

Either one of them would be a great choice and a significant improvement from Gillis. They both have experience in areas that Gillis never had, particularly with scouting and player development. We don't need a long list, just a good one. If this can be nailed down soon, then the search for a coach can get under way.

I agree that both are very experienced and are great candidates. I would be thrilled with either.

You have to think Benning is the frontrunner or Fenton would already be the GM.

I'm hearing so much about Benning and this coming draft... we had an amazing draft last year. I am hoping the new GM is only going to be one more voice to the draft conversation, not someone dictating the draft. I think we can survive without a GM for this draft given Linden's direction and our scouting staff. Just get someone who has a clear model for success and the business acumen to move the right pieces and sign the right players a good price. General managing is a hell of a lot more than scouting.

Benning please just NO Barry Trotz way to defensive system ..

Yes Barry Trotz. He's no more a "defensive coach" than AV was before his team and players won Hart, Art Ross and President's cups.

Developing_Header.jpg
Some believe Benning is getting the Canucks job and Linden is simply waiting until the conclusion of round 2 to make it official.

Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger

Hearing Boston's Jim Benning met with the Canucks yesterday. He's considered the frontrunner for the GM job in Van.

News1130 Sports @News1130Sports

#Canucks - Have tried a few times and Jim Benning not answering his cell phone. #somethingup

Here's hoping he doesn't bring any Bruins with him here.

There are a few players on the Bruins' roster that I wouldn't want in Vancouver, but I'd be willing to bet that my list would be vastly different than yours and almost everyone else on CDC.

Archived