The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Jim Benning signs as new Canucks GM

TheRussianRocket.

So happy to hear him rail about the importance of a 4 line team. I just hope he and Linden can find a coach that is willing to risk his new job in order to develop a good solid 4th line. Obviously Torts wasn't. But its also obvious that no team will win the Stanley cup without the ability to roll 4 lines. Something overlooked in our final with Boston where our top lines were in a state of injury and exhaustion and our 4th line was always coming onto the ice cold. You have to allow the development of a solid 4th line during the season. If you never allow them to find their place and feel part of the team during the season then they become useless in the playoffs....just when you need that kind of depth. It is worth sacrificing a few more goals against during the season, even a few more games, and even a spot or two higher in the standings, in order to build a reliable confident top to bottom team. (as long as you still make the playoffs obviously)

Benning definitely doesn't have a good media presence. Still, considering Gilles always looked like Nixon being questioned about Watergate when he was interviewed, it's big step up!

Realistically, I could care less if Benning happened to be the least charismatic man who ever walked the planet. If he can give us a quick turn around, while building for the future, I'll be a happy guy.

I thought he came across a little nervous, which is to be expected.

He seems like a humble and genuine guy in how he talks about people and I'm not surprised he's well liked and well respected in the hockey community.

Otherwise I think he's already miles ahead of Gillis, who was not only red faced and sweating all the time, but was a guy who came across as wanting people to know he was a smart guy.

As I mentioned elsewhere, Trev can be the hand shaker and baby kisser, allowing Jim to focus on his job. I think it will be a great partnership.

He seems like a humble and genuine guy in how he talks about people and I'm not surprised he's well liked and well respected in the hockey community.

Otherwise I think he's already miles ahead of Gillis, who was not only red faced and sweating all the time, but was a guy who came across as wanting people to know he was a smart guy.

As I mentioned elsewhere, Trev can be the hand shaker and baby kisser, allowing Jim to focus on his job. I think it will be a great partnership.

I'm not worried about what Benning says, and even less worried about what he does.

Hockey man. That means hockey trades, great drafts and a Cup. 5 years max.

I can't emphasize enough how little I care about apprehensions that Benning isn't 'comfortable' or 'good with the media' - whether or not there's much truth to the perception.

He's exactly the type of personality that this market needs.

Don't let the lack of glitz/polish fool you. He's an unpretentious person who cuts to the chase. He probably isn't all that concerned with impressing anyone. Don't let the humility or soft spoken nature fool you either - the man is extremely focused on what matters and has a great deal more going on than meets the eye. I think that is a large factor in the 'type' of person he is - quite an in depth person with a whole lot going on 'inside' - probably prefers privacy to exposure - and the outward appearances imo tend to be misleading to those who aren't that familiar with people like him.

I personally having very high estimation of people like Jim Benning - am thrilled he decided to join the Nucks, and could care less about the 'frills'.

Holy smokes. I did some digging on hockeydb.com.

Benning was a D-man at Portland, and his last season he had 139 points in 72 games!

With the 6th overall pick in the nhl entry draft Jim Benning is pleased to select Jim Benning.

With the 6th overall pick in the nhl entry draft Jim Benning is pleased to select Jim Benning.

I just thought he was an above average D-man when he played. I had no idea he set a record in the WHL for most assists streak at 30 games, and a 45 game point streak, and second highest point total for a d-man in a regular season in the dub.

Agreed with those that are unconcerned Benning's not the most polished and slick guy in front of the cameras.

I'll be very happy if, after today, he sees as little of the media as possible (which would seem like what he'd prefer) and is allowed to focus his efforts entirely on the work that needs to be done to make this team better.

Let Trevor (and maybe Gilman if he stays--as he's shown an aptitude for such work) handle most of the press duties.

I'm also hoping that the current hockey ops structure allows Benning to have some insulation from ownership. Again, let Linden deal with "his friend Francesco" and the Aquilini family.

Benning reports to Linden. Linden "sells" it to the media and to ownership. Sounds like a perfect arrangement (and much better than the previous structure).

Benning seems to simply say what's on his mind; there's not a lot prepared beforehand in terms of his responses. Gillis seemed to have a handful of buzzwords and generic phrases on-hand every time he spoke; he was arrogant and perhaps too assertive/pushy for his own good. He made a lot of excuses as well.

Unlike Gillis, Benning appears to have a very humble, quiet personality. I think he's a very likeable person. Hopefully he and Trevor can steer the team in the right direction.

Compare Benning's introduction to the organization with Gillis':

If Gillis came across as pushy or arrogant, what category does Torts, Keenan or Burke fall under? Gillis might of despised the media, but I don't think he would be arrogant to the average "joe". Never met him, but that's the impression I have of him.

I liked the presser that Jim Benning gave. He knew exactly what this team needs. Mind you, that he's been working in the Eastern Conference yet he knows exactly what the Western Conference is doing. He looks at the camera and says. "We play in the toughest conference in the NHL. We got to look to the Anaheim, the LA, the San Jose..." and what they're doing to succeed in this conference and figure out how to beat them.

And if I recall...those teams are big, physical and they know how the hell to skate. And I think you'll see Vancouver take that step to out-manoeuvre them in a way that will model very much a physical, fast skating, big-bodied team. This guy has a background in scouting; he knows what he's talking about and he's been a key figure in a successful hockey franchise. I'll give him his props. And frankly, this is the most hope I've had in 43 now 44 seasons as a Vancouver Canuck fan.

All I can do is give him my best-wishes that he have a long and successful run as Vancouver Canuck GM; that he turns this team around built for long-term success and that somewhere along that line, the Canucks end up hoisting that silver mug.

After listening to the presser introducing Benning I saw the difference between him and Gillis right off the bat. The arrogance of Gillis comes to mind. Gillis seemed as though he was always irritated on some level answering questions.

Benning on the other hand came across as down to earth and thankful for getting the job in Vancouver. Only time will tell how things will work out on this one but I think Benning started off on the right foot.

I remember him well when he was Canuck. Nothing fancy but he got the job done. That's all we can ask for off the ice too.

Good luck Jim.

I liked the presser that Jim Benning gave. He knew exactly what this team needs. Mind you, that he's been working in the Eastern Conference yet he knows exactly what the Western Conference is doing. He looks at the camera and says. "We play in the toughest conference in the NHL. We got to look to the Anaheim, the LA, the San Jose..." and what they're doing to succeed in this conference and figure out how to beat them.

And if I recall...those teams are big, physical and they know how the hell to skate. And I think you'll see Vancouver take that step to out-manoeuvre them in a way that will model very much a physical, fast skating, big-bodied team. This guy has a background in scouting; he knows what he's talking about and he's been a key figure in a successful hockey franchise. I'll give him his props. And frankly, this is the most hope I've had in 43 now 44 seasons as a Vancouver Canuck fan.

All I can do is give him my best-wishes that he have a long and successful run as Vancouver Canuck GM; that he turns this team around built for long-term success and that somewhere along that line, the Canucks end up hoisting that silver mug.

He's going to be very restricted on the changes he'll be able to make. I expect he'll keep most of the core, save a move or two, and revamp the bottom 6 and defense.

Agreed with those that are unconcerned Benning's not the most polished and slick guy in front of the cameras.

I'll be very happy if, after today, he sees as little of the media as possible (which would seem like what he'd prefer) and is allowed to focus his efforts entirely on the work that needs to be done to make this team better.

Let Trevor (and maybe Gilman if he stays--as he's shown an aptitude for such work) handle most of the press duties.

I'm also hoping that the current hockey ops structure allows Benning to have some insulation from ownership. Again, let Linden deal with "his friend Francesco" and the Aquilini family.

Benning reports to Linden. Linden "sells" it to the media and to ownership. Sounds like a perfect arrangement (and much better than the previous structure).

Agreed. I think this new "Linden as the face that sells the franchise and its decisions to the owners and fans" and "Benning as the guy who is on the ground working with scouts, pursuing trades and evaluating talent behind closed doors" is an awesome set up. It also seems like they both fit those roles VERY well. Linden can work a room and has nostalgia on his side, Benning has been scouting, drafting and consulting with Chiarelli on trades for years and years.

Archived