The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ray Ferraro says it will come down to 2 names for GM

J529

I'm going to be fair, and lets have a look at Mcphee's record... his team has made it to the finals once, and that's it. Other then that, it's been nothing but failure. He has them makings of a powerful team... and his Capitals have failed to make that step. The Canucks at least won the President's trophy back to back years, on top of winning 15 NHL playoff games, it looks like he's failed miserably to make that step. I'm a huge no to George McPhee. Where the hell did his name even come up from? Gosh.

washington is vancouver but instead of the twins, they have ovechkin

McPhee is worse than MG

-the erat trade - ewww

-the ward signing

-he over valued holtby and neuvirth

-the varlemov trade

-their drafting

-lots of big contracts - Green, ovechkin, backstrom

McPhee is a step back for sure,

Benning>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>McPhee

if we hire McPhee, we are doomed

The Erat trade was his biggest glaring mistake. He isn't afraid to pull the trigger though.

Joel Ward has actually been great for them. 20+ goals this year btw

Holtby and Nuevirth showed flashes of really good play. I really think it's their defence that is the problem.

Drafted Green, Ovi, Wilson, Kuznetsov, Alzner, Backstrom, Orlov etc etc

The top guys deserve their contracts.

I prefer Benning too but you can't just put down Mcphee for trying

washington is vancouver but instead of the twins, they have ovechkin

McPhee is worse than MG

-the erat trade - ewww

-the ward signing

-he over valued holtby and neuvirth

-the varlemov trade

-their drafting

-lots of big contracts - Green, ovechkin, backstrom

McPhee is a step back for sure,

Benning>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>McPhee

if we hire McPhee, we are doomed

Hmmmm

Ward has a 3 Million Cap hit a playoff performer and had a 40 to 50 pt season over the last two seasons.

It's still up in the air for Forsberg and Erat had a 0.5 PPG this season so it's not bad

Who wouldn't want to lock up Ovi in a long term contract?

Holtby has been pretty good

So it's not all that bad.

I've always looked at the McPhee and the Caps in much the same light as Gillis and the Canucks in that during his best players' peak years, he could never solve the goaltending problem, could never solidify the defence, made what appear to be ludicrous trades (Forsberg), and seemingly waffled on coaches and coaching styles in flipping between the offensive juggernaut of a few years ago to missing the playoffs with a more defensive oriented style that basically choked off Ovi's scoring and creativity.

So no thanks, I say no way to McPhee as I've already seen this movie play out right before our eyes here in Van.

I'm going to be fair, and lets have a look at Mcphee's record... his team has made it to the finals once, and that's it. Other then that, it's been nothing but failure. He has them makings of a powerful team... and his Capitals have failed to make that step. The Canucks at least won the President's trophy back to back years, on top of winning 15 NHL playoff games, it looks like he's failed miserably to make that step. I'm a huge no to George McPhee. Where the hell did his name even come up from? Gosh.

Just came out of nowhere with him possibly on the way out of Washington. Add the fact he used to work for Canucks too but whether or not Linden would have any real interest in him or it's simply rumors.

Look at his drafting record and how core players current and former were all homegrown:

Backstrom

Semin

Carlson

Green

Alzner

Johansson

Kuznetsov

Holtby

Nieuvirth

Varlamov

Out of that group only Backstrom was taken with a top 10 pick.

Sure the Erat trade was ridiculous but the drafting record is pretty strong IMO and I'm not sure why people are talking he'd be so awful.

Just came out of nowhere with him possibly on the way out of Washington. Add the fact he used to work for Canucks too but whether or not Linden would have any real interest in him or it's simply rumors.

McPhee is close to Burkie and Quinn as they gave him his start in management.

Any thoughts by Linden of even looking at McPhee would be coming from Quinn.

But I think Trevor is smart enough to know that this organization needs a breath of fresh air from outside of the team rather than a recycled GM with past ties to our team and management team.

It's Benning. For Sure. Linden has been praising the Boston-Bruins style as an ideal team system multiple times ever since he got hired.

Trevor Linden: "You look at the Boston - Model and how successful that team has been" ........

Jim Benning = Assistant GM of the Boston Bruins; largely responsible for the construction of that "Boston-model".

No doubt in my mind Linden will reach out to Benning immediately after the Bruins are done all of their hockey and I think he is as good as our new GM..... Plus, I read that his summer home is in Portland, which also fits perfectly for him in terms of the location of this team.

Incidentally, that is also the Anaheim model; picks by Benning.

Fun fact: McPhee got into a dust up with a former Chicago coach after a game, and actually a punch.

regards,

G.

EDIT: What I meant to say is that McPhee got into a tussle with the coach of the Hawks (at that time) and punched him out.

Yeesh, I need to go to bed sooner in the day.

I believe they won the draft lottery the year they drafted OV, even Gillis could have pulled that one off.

lol ya must be real hard finishing last and winning the lottery. ban tsn just showed the best example of cdc logic right there in that post.

we finish poorly -"fire torts, his system sucks"

caps finish 2nd last and win lottery- "we should hire mcphee. he knows how to acquire an elite superstar"

McPhee is not as bad as most make him out but I'd rather have Benning. A fresh, non-retread, looking for a chance after years of help setting good foundations for multiple teams is more appealing than a guy who, while he drafts pretty well and can create playoff teams, has never had true success beyond the 2nd round.

Linden's hint of a "profile" have Benning written all over it.

Archived