The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Offical] Kesler traded to Anaheim

TheRussianRocket.

TD, I'm surprised you don't like the deal. I'd say JB did the best with the option he had. Bonino is already a good, younger player who makes his linemates better. wasn't the complaint about Kes, he made his linemates worse? Sbisa is still an unknown, but people have been calling for a puck mover, which he is. My disappointment is with the 24th rather than the 10th, but it is what it is.

The 10th would have made the deal,

Bonino is a stop-gap, but not a core piece for us (Think Derick Roy)

Sbisa unfortunately is not an unknown, was told today by a Ducks person "He'll make us want to jump off a cliff" Don't expect anything from him, I believe we would have been better off not taking him, he is subtraction by addition.

Let's face it the 24th is a lottery ticket and not a very good one.

Kesler was at least worth a DECENT lottery ticket (10th)

But yes, I don't like any part of this deal,

If you feel like it, sell me on the deal......what should I be liking? That's not a challenge BTW, I would honestly like to hear well though out explanations from those who are ok with it.

That's a very good question. A lot of people on this board are seriously overvaluing Kesler because apparently it's still 2011 forever here.

Overvaluing Kesler is not the main issue people are missing but there is that too.

What people seem to be primarily missing is that Kesler had a NTC and in the end there really was only one trading partner on his list that was willing to acquire him. Considering this, the Canucks did excellent with the Kesler flip.

Playing behind Perry and Getzlaf is going to help Kes so much its insane. Should go beast mode. I see the Ducks as a top 5 team in the league and top 2 in the West

Yes, from Kesler's POV he is EXACTLY where he should be.

I expect we see his best hockey going forward.

If you feel like it, sell me on the deal......what should I be liking? That's not a challenge BTW, I would honestly like to hear well though out explanations from those who are ok with it.

You are not listening so little point in saying anything to you.

Kesler was given everything he wanted,blew his chances here with his conduct and is gone.

Sbisa unfortunately is not an unknown, was told today by a Ducks person "He'll make us want to jump off a cliff" Don't expect anything from him, I believe we would have been better off not taking him, he is subtraction by addition.

The fact that Kesler had one destination he wanted to go to screwed JB, but he managed to pull it off and avoid a messy situation on the heels of the Luongo/Schneider fiasco. That alone is a big plus. I wouldn't call Bonino a stop gap......22 goals and 27 helpers is nothing to scoff at and I think he'll bring out the best in Kassian as well. His play making skills are considered to be excellent, something Kesler did not excel at.

We don't know what Sbisa, truly, can do yet. He's still young, for a dman, but he is considered to be an elite skater and an excellent puck mover. I see something like Ehrhoff, with a little more size. Just because he hasn't put it together yet, doesn't mean he won't.

The 24th, well that's disappointing, but it's still another first round pick that might be packaged for one of the top 3 picks in the draft. If JB pulls that off, it's a win for the Nucks and at least a draw.

In the end, kesler didn't want to be here and JB got what a lot of people wanted for the team. Younger, play making c-man with a scoring touch, a puck moving dman who can skate it out of trouble and another first round pick.......for a selfish player who didn't want to be here. If nothing else, it's a win for the canucks on the referee front, as they just moved one of the biggest divers in the league.

1) we get rid of a guy who didn't want to be here. You want to start a rebuild/re-tool, you need guys who want to be a part of it.

2) Cap space.

3) The current draft is not a weak draft. It is a draft that lacked generational/superstar talent with the first five picks. There are still good players in the draft

4) Bonino may have played with good players in Anaheim, but he has shown to be a talented player who puts up points against the best teams. For teams with a winning percentage last year above 0.600, Bonino scored 20 points in 25 games. He brings his best against the best.

5) Just because you have some random guy associated with the Ducks saying that Sbisa will be frustrating, doesn't mean he will be.

6) This trade is part of a larger movement. Did we get enough? Maybe not, but rarely do teams get 'enough', especially when they are handicapped by a player who has a list of two teams, with one team (Chicago) not being all that interested.

Maybe this wasn't a trade that got the Canucks 'enough', but it was the best move for the team.

To add, he also wasn't reliant on the Getzlaf line:

Retweeted by Matthew Sekeres

Fortunately, Bonino's points weren't inflated by playing on the top line. ...only there 1.6% of the time.

Kesler was given everything he wanted,blew his chances here with his conduct and is gone.

Exactly, what is there to sell? He wanted to leave and tied our teams hands by giving limited options. He got what he wanted adios! Nothing to explain or sell.

You make good points and I understand what you are saying,

My issue is that this was a rare, once in a decade type opportunity for us,

We needed to turn the asset into something with the potential to be a top talent for us, TT would have fit that bill, and even 10th overall would have,

We received nothing of the sort,

If he can pull off a miracle and somehow leave the draft with Reinhart all will be forgiven, but we didn't even get pieces from ANH that will help accomplish that.

The texts from Ducks people are still coming in: "Ok, sorry dude I actually feel bad for you"

You're assuming that 10th overall pick and TT would turn into impact players in the NHL and even if they did that would be much further down the line. Bonino helps us now and helps us get younger while giving up a cancer on this team that ONLY wanted to go to 2 teams. I be more concerned as a Ducks fan that Kesler could go into that dressing room that has just lost Selanne a huge leader and cause some problems.

If Bonino gets 50 points next year on our second line I think this trade is a huge win for use we get a second line centre that can score 50 points and is signed for less than 2 million without a no trade clause he has shown to elevate his game in the playoffs and you know come trade deadline next year or the year after if Bonino is scoring his 20 goals and 30 assistants he could net us a pretty big return.

You are not listening so little point in saying anything to you.

I'm flattered you invest so much time trying to get my attention,

So there's a little draft day present for you! A reply!

Enjoy! :)

Well I'm happy I don't have to cheer for Kesler anymore.

Goodbye whining, ridiculous diving, tunnel vision and most of all that attitude.

I'm surprised he wanted to go to a team in the division, I can't wait to see the fan reaction when he comes back.

Canada 2 gold medals, Kesler 0. :)

I am happy to have it done but I don't think us giving up our 3rd rounder this year was necessary. But happy to move on.

Also not impressed with Kesler's comments. He used to be one of my favourite players but that ended with the LA summersault.

Happy we are moving on.... McDavid (or eichel or barzal) here we come :)

Playing behind Perry and Getzlaf is going to help Kes so much its insane. Should go beast mode. I see the Ducks as a top 5 team in the league and top 2 in the West

Not....Kesler will think he should be playing ahead of them.

Wow when coho gets traded you guys bash him, same with lu and kes. Kes did whats best for his career and I don't blame him. What happens if the Sedins get traded "bunch of soft euros who never did anything for us. Hope they never win. Waste of space on our first line for years".

Something very strange is going on here, Wallstreet. We seem to be agreeing on an awful lot of things lately. :blink:

Maybe we need a "Trade Bieksa" thread to start up, so we can get back to normal. B)

Yes, I did have a few twighlight zone thoughts before responding lol but when you are right, you are right. I like that Benning seems to have a direction he wants to take and has the conviction to follow through on that rather than hold out for the home run that can evaporate easily like Gillis was doing. Of course, to be fair to Gillis, Benning is shiny and new and does not have to worry about protecting his job like Gillis had to the last few years so it is easier to re-make the team without that pressure to hit the home run.

As for Bieksa, if he generated a big return I would absolutely trade him.....:P

terrible trade.. this trade don't improve the canucks now nor the future.. Bonino and Sbisa are good average players.. and dorsett is a 4th liner.. might as well trade Kesler for a sack of pucks.. Bonino and Sbisa is going to make the cauncks a top 20 team always missing out on the top end talent drafts.. should have just traded Kesler for Etem/Theodore and 10th.. at least that'll make our prospect pool future better.. i don't see how Bonino, sbisa, and dorsett make this team better in the future. and doesn't make the team better now either..

Archived