The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Offical] Kesler traded to Anaheim

TheRussianRocket.

Ducks fan here.

I think this was a good trade for both teams. It wasn't at all what i was expecting but i think Vancouver made out pretty well here all things considering.

Just to give you guys our perspective of the pieces going your way.

Sbisa-- The guy has the talent to be a top 4 defenseman in this league. He's big, he can skate, he fights, and he was theeee best open ice hitter in our roster. Having said all that his Hockey IQ doesn't match his skill set. He's constantly underwhelmed and frustrated us Ducks fans with his decisions making. He essentially got pushed out of the line up here in Ana. Partially because of injuries, but mostly due to his inconsistency. We hope the change of scenery does him well and he lives up to his potential as a top 4. He's certainly difficult to play against.

Bonino( aka bones)--- A fan favorite here with the Ducks. Most thought that with Teemu and Kiovu both departing, that he would be someone who would get a larger leadership role and take over one of the "A's". The Guy is a terrific utility player. Good puck skills (shootout wizard), good passing ability,on ice vision, and a solid shot. He plays on the PP, the PK,the wing, pretty much everywhere. His strongest asset is by far his hockey IQ. He's an incredibly smart player who seems to always be in the right place at the right time. He also has a knack for scoring huge goals in clutch moments. On the down side don't expect him to exceed last years point totals. His offensive numbers were probably inflated last year by playing in BB offensive system and by the talent surrounding him, but you can expect a solid all around player who should be somewhere in the 40's in terms of pts every year. He will definitely be missed.

Also congrats on Mcann. I didn't think he'd fall that low. Personally, I wouldn't have minded BM taking him 10th. Not 100% sold on Ritchie but i guess the way he's drafted lately it's hard to doubt his choice too much.

I think Benning has done a good job up there so far. Good luck to you all next season.

To Anaheim:

Ryan Kesler

VAN 2015 3rd Round Pick

To Vancouver:

Nick Bonino

Luca Sbisa

Derek Dorsett (via ANA 3rd round pick flipped to NYR)

Jared McCann

Looking at it this way it was a pretty good re-tool for the Canucks. Plus like Benning said Kesler handcuffed him by not expanding his list of teams and he did not want anyone here who does not want to be here. On the flip side the Ducks got the guy they wanted and need to compete against the heavy hitters in the West. Kesler will be a great second line center for them. And they did not have to give up any of their highly touted prospects.

This is the definition of a hockey trade that benefits both teams.

If WD can get the most out of Sbisa this will be a great trade for the Canucks.

Ducks fan here.

I think this was a good trade for both teams. It wasn't at all what i was expecting but i think Vancouver made out pretty well here all things considering.

Just to give you guys our perspective of the pieces going your way.

Sbisa-- The guy has the talent to be a top 4 defenseman in this league. He's big, he can skate, he fights, and he was theeee best open ice hitter in our roster. Having said all that his Hockey IQ doesn't match his skill set. He's constantly underwhelmed and frustrated us Ducks fans with his decisions making. He essentially got pushed out of the line up here in Ana. Partially because of injuries, but mostly due to his inconsistency. We hope the change of scenery does him well and he lives up to his potential as a top 4. He's certainly difficult to play against.

Bonino( aka bones)--- A fan favorite here with the Ducks. Most thought that with Teemu and Kiovu both departing, that he would be someone who would get a larger leadership role and take over one of the "A's". The Guy is a terrific utility player. Good puck skills (shootout wizard), good passing ability,on ice vision, and a solid shot. He plays on the PP, the PK,the wing, pretty much everywhere. His strongest asset is by far his hockey IQ. He's an incredibly smart player who seems to always be in the right place at the right time. He also has a knack for scoring huge goals in clutch moments. On the down side don't expect him to exceed last years point totals. His offensive numbers were probably inflated last year by playing in BB offensive system and by the talent surrounding him, but you can expect a solid all around player who should be somewhere in the 40's in terms of pts every year. He will definitely be missed.

Also congrats on Mcann. I didn't think he'd fall that low. Personally, I wouldn't have minded BM taking him 10th. Not 100% sold on Ritchie but i guess the way he's drafted lately it's hard to doubt his choice too much.

I think Benning has done a good job up there so far. Good luck to you all next season.

Thanks Icer. Word of advice. Lock up your Wives and Daughters. Kesler will be like kid in a candy store with those California Girls.

Great trade here Bonino is a good young player while Kesler is always been a bandaid who is over paid and whines like a baby on and off the ice...

Anyone who asks for a trade out of Vancouvers hockey market is truly in it for the money only, he's not a winner and will continue to go down hill for the rest of his career Im so happy to see he big nose out of Vancouver... Have fun in Anaheim on the third line Kes!

P.S.

I Hope he breaks his legs on his first shift in Anaheim. Perhaps Perry will do it for me in training camp!

To Ryan Kesler from this Vancouverite - no one born and raised in this city ever liked you here... COCKY GOOF!

You signed up for this, your first post? It's a business, the man made a business decision. At the end of the day all business decisions must be about what is best for the business. His business is Kesler Inc. and if you think every professional player isn't on the same page it's only because you're looking at it as a fan. An emotionally invested fan but that currency buys no voting shares. As a fan you don't have a seat at the table. You shouldn't take it personally. He doesn't.

At the end of the day Kesler wants to win a championship now and four years is too long for him.

A couple tips if he wants to win now.

1) Work on losing the tunnel vision and try to make your linemates/team-mates better. When things aren't going well, try not to squeeze the stick so tightly and force so many hopeless and harmless long range wrist shots. Your game gets almost unwatchable when you struggle.

2) Try not to wear every ounce of your frustration on your sleeve. You've always looked so pained. The chip on your shoulder is getting in your line of sight.

3) End the chirping. You have not commanded the respect of the league's officials - and a large obstacle in the way of becoming a leader is being able to represent - something that imo has never been one of your assets.

4) Diving. A skeleton from the past for the most part, but going to California, the NHL's reigning Capital of diving, it may be tempting to revisit old bad habits.

5) Attitude/ego. Your whole team wanted to win. You weren't the exception. As far as I'm concerned, you were far more of the problem than you seem to realize. The arrogance of giving a couple of 'worthy' destinations is yet another instance of it.

Best of luck with that.

Don't be too surprised if your former team-mates do more winning now that you are gone.

A few points that some people are overlooking.

1. Kesler + Garrison gone = big salary dump = ability to sign high profile free agent. A top 6 forward or a number 1 goalie.

2. Kesler really confined what benning could do by only agreeing to go to 2 teams. What would you do with a player that doesnt want to be here but at the same time only agrees to go to 2 teams.

3. Sbisa will be an upgrade over Garrison. Sbisa is a former first rounder. Garrison was undrafted. Very poor on the PP point, its no wonder why V was reluctant to use him on the PP.

4. Canucks got McCann in the deal - he was projected to go in the mid first round. It is not unreasonable to think that 10 years from now we may be looking back at this deal and laughing about how benning mugged the ducks. Sbisa is more physical than Garrison. The Canucks will have an improved blue line with the likes of Tanev, Sbisa and Corrado in the mix.

5. Kesler had one outstanding year and one outstanding playoff series - other than that he has had stretches where he was very average.

Im not going to miss his diving, his trash talking or his selfish play where he would take half a dozen wrist shots per game that went over the net only to ricochet out of the zone.

signing stastny is seriously the only way the trade makes any sense at all. Bonino is a piss poor possession player on a very good team, he's never going to be a 2nd line center.

Sedin

Stastny

Bonino

Mathias

That makes sense. The trade today sends a clear message that JB wanted NHL bodies over prospects for a shot at the playoffs, but you sort of need a 2nd line for the playoffs. There is clearly a lot of work to do before this team hits the ice this season. As it stands now this line-up is going for Mcjesus.

I am a bit disappointed that we didn't get any grade A prospect (other than the 24th pick, i.e. McCann) but who knows... may be WD thinks he can fix Sbisa and Bonino will be developing into a solid clutch 2C. When Linden was traded, it was for Bertuzzi (23yo, 23rd overall, ~20-30pts forward prior to trade) and McCabe (23yo, 40th overall, ~20-30pts defenseman prior to trade) and a 3rd round pick (Jarrko Ruutu, 68th overall). This time we are trading Kesler for Bonino (26yo, 173rd overall, 30-40pts? forward prior to trade), Sbisa (24yo, 19th overall, ~15-20pts defenseman prior to trade), Dorsett (27yo, 189th overall, ~15pts forward prior to trade), and 1st round (McCann, 24th overall).

The Linden trade was such an impact trade in which it still affect the team today (McCabe was packaged to get us the pick that allowed us to pick the Sedins). Whether the Kesler trade will have the same impact is unknown (yet in my humble opinion, unlikely).

We had every single piece of return in the Linden trade working in our favour (Bert becoming a dominating 1st liner, McCabe turned into Sedins who dominated the league for a few years and Ruutu was a serviceable bottom 6 for many years). In summary, we got 2 all stars and a good bottom 6 with one single trade.

To have comparable impact, McCann needs to turn into a star, Bonino into a solid 2C who can chip in ~60pts, Sbisa into a reliable top 2D logging 25min a night, and Dorsett continues to be a solid bottom 6 who agitates, kills penalties and chip in ~15pts.

Anyway, good luck to all the new Canucks and welcome to Vancouver!

signing stastny is seriously the only way the trade makes any sense at all. Bonino is a piss poor possession player on a very good team, he's never going to be a 2nd line center.

Sedin

Stastny

Bonino

Mathias

That makes sense. The trade today sends a clear message that JB wanted NHL bodies over prospects for a shot at the playoffs, but you sort of need a 2nd line for the playoffs. There is clearly a lot of work to do before this team hits the ice this season. As it stands now this line-up is going for Mcjesus.

Why would Stastny pick Vancouver though.

Why would Stastny pick Vancouver though.

We better because as optimistic as I was about this deal at first, I'm just as not so pumped now... I went on the Ducks forum and their all calling it a steal mainly because they kept Rakael, Etem and the 10th. Also they seem sad because Bonino is gone but they seem to hate Sbisa and are happy he's gone ..some of them are even calling it a bonus to the deal.

Right now the lines are looking (what I think):
Sedin - Sedin - Jensen
Higgins - Bonino - Kassian
Burrows - Matthias - Hansen
Sesito - Richardson - Dorsett

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Stanton - Tanev
Edler - Sbisa

Lack
Markstrom

Then with Bolland and Hiller, rumours rumours rumours....:

Sedin - Sedin - Jensen
Burrows - Bolland - Hansen
Sesito - Richardson/ Matthias - Dorsett

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Stanton - Tanev
Edler - Sbisa

Hiller
Lack

And how does getting Stastny make as a contender? It will make us better yes. But the long term for the organization is win the cup. Not making the playoff and knock out the first to make the owner extra money. If we traded Kesler for prospect and pick instead there's a chance they will be ready and blooming in 4-5 years and they will be in elc and we will have plenty of caps to sign trade for skill players then.. rather than this sign players for the sake of making the playoff. We don't have a legitimate first line. Holes in the defense and question mark in goaltending.

The Kings are living proof that if you make the playoffs in the Pacific Division you're a contender. The other two teams from the Pac that made the playoffs each took the Cup champs to 7 games. The Canucks have to build to make the playoffs because just by doing that they're automatically a serious Cup threat.

Right now the lines are looking (what I think):

Sedin - Sedin - Jensen

Burrows - Matthias - Hansen

Sesito - Richardson - Dorsett

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Stanton - Tanev

Edler - Sbisa

Lack

Markstrom

Then with Bolland and Hiller, rumours rumours rumours....:

Sedin - Sedin - Jensen

Burrows - Bolland - Hansen

Sesito - Richardson/ Matthias - Dorsett

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Stanton - Tanev

Edler - Sbisa

Hiller

Lack

I don't see the point in spending on Hiller to be competitive when that second line pretty much assures we don't make the playoffs.

There are better things to spend money on than an overpriced third liner and a goalie that's gonna share the net.

My money would be on going after Dan Boyle and a top 6 winger.

Archived