The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elliot Friedman 30 Thoughts: Canucks ha have made offer for 1st overall pick

I would do Hansen, 6th, Shinkaruk for the 1st overall.

I would be sorely tempted to pick Ekblad though with that pick rather than Reinhart.

I don't know, that's a lot to move up 5 spots in a draft where not many people are ranking a significant top end talent. I wonder if there's truth to this whether Benning is going through our prospect pool and looking at players he's had reservations on in the past. Maybe that's why we'd see Shink included in this deal.

One thing I was wondering about the quality of this draft since I mentioned it, is I wonder if there's less media hype for Reinhart because he's in the WHL. Most of the significantly hyped players are OHL or QMJHL, and we've all talked about Eastern media bias in the past. There was Jones last year from Portland but the hype for MacKinnon and McDavid (not to mention Stamkos, Tavares, etc.) seems to have been much bigger than for Reinhart and some people have looked closer at it and feel he's comparable.

Again, this is all a bit hard to tell with Benning being so new and we don't know what his MO is, but maybe he's got some insight (for either end).

Hunter Shinkaruk has high end skill but keep in mind:

1. He has a dodgy hip

2. because of this dodgy hip he lost basically a year of development, however rehabbing the hip may mean he is in better physical shape now

I like Shinkaruk, but for me, this depends on who the other 'roster player' going is. Tanev? Hell no.

The trade is essentially Reinhart for Shinakurk, Ehlers and.. somebody else. It's a tough call, but it seems like a real hockey trade to me. I like Shinkaruk, but especially with the lost year and the crapped hip he is also 'most likely to be Jordan Shroeder"... Reinhart likely steps into that 2C hole next year caused by the leaving Kesler. We would have to find him a winger but he would make an awesome heir-apparent to Sedin.

I don't hate this deal... depending on who the 'other player' is. Anybody with more upside than 'warm body' may twinge me.

I don't know, that's a lot to move up 5 spots in a draft where not many people are ranking a significant top end talent. I wonder if there's truth to this whether Benning is going through our prospect pool and looking at players he's had reservations on in the past. Maybe that's why we'd see Shink included in this deal.

One thing I was wondering about the quality of this draft since I mentioned it, is I wonder if there's less media hype for Reinhart because he's in the WHL. Most of the significantly hyped players are OHL or QMJHL, and we've all talked about Eastern media bias in the past. There was Jones last year from Portland but the hype for MacKinnon and McDavid (not to mention Stamkos, Tavares, etc.) seems to have been much bigger than for Reinhart and some people have looked closer at it and feel he's comparable.

Again, this is all a bit hard to tell with Benning being so new and we don't know what his MO is, but maybe he's got some insight (for either end).

Nuge was still the favourite at the 2011 draft though and he played For Red Deer.

Looks like reality is stating to hit CDC, of what the price for Reinhart/Ekblad will be ...

If we had 1st overall, would we deal it for 6th and Hansen or 6th and Tanev? Doubt it.

It will be hard to see one of the top prospects go, but not surprised if that's the deal on offer.

I just don't want Canucks Brass to pick Reinhart because he's a local boy. If they do in fact see him as the BPA in the draft then fine.

I don't want them to make a choice to appease the fans. That being said, if Reinhart pans out having him in Blue and Green would be huge for the hockey culture in this city

Hunter Shinkaruk has high end skill but keep in mind:

1. He has a dodgy hip

2. because of this dodgy hip he lost basically a year of development, however rehabbing the hip may mean he is in better physical shape now

I like Shinkaruk, but for me, this depends on who the other 'roster player' going is. Tanev? Hell no.

The trade is essentially Reinhart for Shinakurk, Ehlers and.. somebody else. It's a tough call, but it seems like a real hockey trade to me. I like Shinkaruk, but especially with the lost year and the crapped hip he is also 'most likely to be Jordan Shroeder"... Reinhart likely steps into that 2C hole next year caused by the leaving Kesler. We would have to find him a winger but he would make an awesome heir-apparent to Sedin.

I don't hate this deal... depending on who the 'other player' is. Anybody with more upside than 'warm body' may twinge me.

I agree. And I would think Florida would want a defenseman in the deal. If it was Stanton sign me up, as we are pretty loaded with LHD as is. If its Tanev, I would say no.

As much as I love Shinkaruk, he's literally my favourite Canucks prospect, I would move him for the first pick. But it depends on who the roster player is, I don't think I would do Shinakruk+Tanev+6th. That's too much to move up just to move 5 spots.

I'd entertain two of the three but definitely not all three. Shink +6th or Tanev + 6th...sure. Not all three.

Besides Tallon has stated he wants bonafide NHL'ers, not prospects...don't know how Shink fits in with that.

F*** NO!!!!!! Horvat and Shinkaruk should be the only prospects off limits. God, please don't let this be true!

I'm not convinced that Shink is going to pan out the way many here are expecting. He might, but I think he'll top out as a decent second liner.

Id rather trade Horvat than Shinkaruk lets put it that way.

Speed Shinkaruk >>>> Horvat

Offensive Ability Shinakruk >>>> Horvat

Defensive Play Horvat > Shinkaruk ( Shink is pretty good in his own zone tho.)

Plus Horvat is expandable because were picking Sam Reinhart if were trading put.

Shink almost made the Canadian Junior team on one leg. The guy is probably going to be a stud, and has the exact skill set we've needed for ages (sniper who can score from anywhere). I'd loathe to give him up just to move up 5 spots in a draft without a definitive franchise guy to pick.

But then again, missing a year gives him a question mark. And I'd much rather trade Shink than Horvat. So if Benning thinks #1 is the real deal, and the roster player isn't too special, then I'd grudgingly accept it.

It is very difficult to say whether a deal like this should be made. There is an abundance of physical centers in the prospectpool but there is a real lack for wingers.

Florida have an abundance of young and talented centers anyways so they will be looking for wingers and defensemen for return. Something we also need, I just don't see it being worked out.

Not worth it.

Easier to give up C prospects as it were at least those we have in spades. But we don't have any genuine LW or RW wingers.

Sad to say I would not give that up. A 3 way trade where we give up an item coming back from the other team sure. But there has to be a few untouchables moving forward.

Florida has lots of centers as well though, otherwise they'd probably just keep the pick if they didn't. What they do need is a high end winger, hence moving down to the 4-8 range since there are a number of them available.

Nuge was still the favourite at the 2011 draft though and he played For Red Deer.

I knew I'd forget some, and actually that one made no sense since Landeskog was far and away the #1 in my mind.

Archived