The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I meant mostly in the sense of his injury at the same age and then subsequently rushed to the NHL in his 2nd year after being deaf Ed, what many here propose to do with Virtanen.

I feel that many of these same people would also say that Brule was ruined by Columbus to a certain extent.

I like how everyone tries to draw comparisons. Virtanen is not Brule, Brule is not Virtanen. Vancouver is not Columbus. Virtanen, if he is brought in, will be handled similarly to Horvat. Not thrown in. I trust management and the coaching staff to make the right decision with our prospects.

Players are only as good the linemates they with. I mentioned this before and I'll say it again....Horvat and McCann are both left-handed centres. If Virtanen plays with either one of them down the road, the chemistry could be enormous.

Neely had Craig Janney(later Adam Oates) as his setup man in Boston.

Brett Hull had Oates[remember 'Hull & Oates' (later Janney)] in St. Louis.

The last guy I want to bring up is former Blackhawks power forward, Al Secord. His best goal total in juniors was 32 goals in the QMJHL in 57 games, followed by 28 goals in 59 games. When Boston traded him to Chicago, Secord blossomed into a 40 and 50 goal scorer when he was put on Denis Savard's line. He is still the only NHL player to amass 40+ goals and 300+ penalty minutes in the same season. Very similar to Virtanen in several ways but Secord accumulated a huge number of PIM due to his red-hot temper. JV seems more disciplined and knows how to pick his battles.

So, if either Horvat or McCann were to play with JV and develop chemistry, we could be in for some VERY exciting hockey.

Point of this post^^^?

Oates was a right-handed centerman; Janney a left-handed centerman. The thing they had in common were they were excellent playmakers. The way either Oates/Janney shot had no relevance to the magic that they had with Neely and Hull. But I guess buddy thinks having two possible left-handed centermen for Virtanen is a pre-requisite for having "enormous chemistry". That's funny.

Edited by bigbadcanucks

please provide a non biased opinion of his game tonight if you can. thx

I saw about 15 minutes of the first but in the few shifts that I saw..he was physical as usual, bumped into fellow prospect Stewart. He had a few turnovers and his line didn't get much going 5 on 5. But made a nice dish on his back hand from the wall to the open man in the middle of the ice on the PP for a one timer that forced the goalie to make a nice save. No shots on goal in that period from what i saw

Good lord, the Hitmen offense has been absolutely bonkers recently.

They have 35 goals in their past 5 games.

Jake himself has (so far) 8 points in his last 4 games (3g, 5a) and is a +9, so he's not milking his points off of the PP. The promotion to the first line is paying massive dividends, as we all expected it to.

Update: Rankin just got cross-checked in the face by our very own Mackenze Stewart.

Update: This might get a whole lot uglier (score-wise). Calgary scored on the Stewart major and PA took another penalty during that kill. Score is 9-1... for now...

Update: 10-1 on the subsequent powerplay opportunity.

Edited by Canucks1219
  • Upvote 1

Dane Fox was also a goal scoring genius playing as an overager. Tambellini needs to play in the AHL, and if he brings the same level then you can say he has a complete game.

Anyways im surprised Virtanen didnt get a goal in that blowout. Still real excited for this kid.