The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I don't think he will play hence the word "sniff" as opposed to something like "taste"

while i agree that they likely won't play, i think you're reading way too far into that quote.

I'll be surprised if he plays, but being around pro's and getting a glimpse of the AHL playoff grind could do him good. The Canucks having their coaches get at him even more so.

Agreed. I don't expect either of Virtanen of McCann to get into the series at all.

Not only because they don't know the systems or their teammates, but I don't see Green taking away a playoff opportunity from a player who's been with the team all season for a kid that's parachuted in.

So, don't expect to see Virtanen or McCann in without a solid reason.

Yeah, you'd have to think that the only way they see playing time is with a pretty serious injury/illness streak through the team. Still, good experience though!

Virtanen and McCann in Utica is for the pro experience. I doubt they see a game. This Calder run is for the existing roster and particularly for those who will try and crack the Canuck lineup next year.

To many fans are basing their decisions to insert junior players into the Utica lineup based on their scoring stats.

Yeah, you'd have to think that the only way they see playing time is with a pretty serious injury/illness streak through the team. Still, good experience though!

Considering they had to scratch Jensen to get Gaunce in, I agree.

Sounds a lot like how it made total sense to call up Baertschi only not to dress him.

Different situation of course where Baertschi could have still been playing with Utica instead of being called up. Virtanen and McCann's teams are out of it, so they wouldn't be doing anything otherwise.

Agreed. I don't expect either of Virtanen of McCann to get into the series at all.

Not only because they don't know the systems or their teammates, but I don't see Green taking away a playoff opportunity from a player who's been with the team all season for a kid that's parachuted in.

Virtanen and McCann in Utica is for the pro experience. I doubt they see a game. This Calder run is for the existing roster and particularly for those who will try and crack the Canuck lineup next year.

To many fans are basing their decisions to insert junior players into the Utica lineup based on their scoring stats.

Agree with all these comments (and I think I have similar comments myself, as have others). Another point I would add (which is also not original) is that the Utica coaches can spend time with Virtanen and McCann and help them identify what they need to do to develop pro-level skills.

And I have one more point, which I think might be original. It have a positive effect on the Utica regulars. It certainly doesn't hurt their incentive to play well knowing that there are highly regarded juniors around who could replace them if they do not play well.

And it probably helps to continue building camaraderie among guys who will be teammates in the future, especially as McCann and Virtanen could not play last summer at the young stars tournament or in regular training camp. So getting McCann and Virtanen to spend some time on and off the ice with guys like Shinkaruk, Gaunce, and Corrado is probably a good thing. And guys like Baertschi and Clendening can also get to know their future teammates.

Agree with all these comments (and I think I have similar comments myself, as have others). Another point I would add (which is also not original) is that the Utica coaches can spend time with Virtanen and McCann and help them identify what they need to do to develop pro-level skills.

Do you think the coaches have time to spend with two players who won't play in the middle of a playoff run? I dunno. I figure the coaches would be spending all their time with active players so they can win in the playoffs. Seems more wishful thinking to me.

The players are there to get some pro experience but I just don't think the coaches will have much one on one time for them in the middle of a playoff run. Don't think it would be effective use of the coaches time during the playoffs.

Edited by FireGillis

I tend to think that it's having them around Pro's to understand the commitment Pro's make, life style, gym work, food selection, time management. It helps a lot once they turn up for camp in September knowing what to expect..... IMO any ways. I doubt they'll see any game time but likely practise with the other Balck Aces. Tough for coaches to manage all the extras hanging around, but maybe fires up some of the Utica players

I tend to think that it's having them around Pro's to understand the commitment Pro's make, life style, gym work, food selection, time management. It helps a lot once they turn up for camp in September knowing what to expect..... IMO any ways. I doubt they'll see any game time but likely practise with the other Balck Aces. Tough for coaches to manage all the extras hanging around, but maybe fires up some of the Utica players

Never hurts to have the players on the ice looking over their shoulders at who's waiting for an opportunity to get on the ice.

Keep everyone motivated!

Is he 18? Because only if he is 18 will it be repeated until the number loses meaning.

My kid asked me if "18-year-old Sam Bennett" was what his birth certificate said. Just about fell off my chair laughing.

• Upvote 1

I am blaming Virtanen. The whole situation is disappointing, including coaching, injuries etc.

Why is Virtanen, by far the most highly touted player on the team, not getting top line minutes?

Because they used him a different role. Virtanen was even playing center for some time. Sometimes, your top player gets a different role. I don't know if you watched Team Canada at the WJC this year, but that is a great example. (I only use this example because I feel like a lot of people did watch the WJC this year.) Connor McDavid was the most highly touted player, yet he was put on the second line for coaching reasons. The line of Domi-Reinhart-Duclair had such great chemistry, that putting Connor McDavid on the second line made the team far more deadly for depth reasons. There are many different reasons why players would play different roles.

The hit men used their seniors and older players a lot. Probably for the same reason. Then Virtanen would come out and punish players. He was consistently in everyones face up and down the ice. You hesitate, he is so quick he will either take the puck from you and develop a scoring chance, or he will tag you with a solid hit. He basically forced the opposing team, on whatever line he was on, to play a different style. Think of it kind of like, how a quarterback is going to struggle with his split second decisions when you have a guy like JJ Watt who is always a split second from knocking you out. It gave the hit men a kind of 1-2 punch combo.

Virtanen was also used in many defensive match ups because of his natural speed, strength, size, and athleticism. (that's probably why they had him play center at times.) I for one love the fact that they did that. Virtanens athleticism, puck skills, and shooting ability has been well documented. The only things he really needed to work on were his passing and overall defensive abilities. This year he addressed that. That's just one step closer to become a full complete player.

• Upvote 1