The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Just now, clam linguine said:

Michael dal Colle would agree.  I remember hoping he would fall to us in the draft. He is struggling mightily after being sent back to junior by the Islanders.        http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=145014

It happens to quite a few prospects really. People seem to want to assume that sending Virtanen to the minors would actually improve his game. It might, but it might not as well. It's not as clear cut as people think!

10 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

Well we all know the only game that matters is the Gold Medal game, so I guess all of the other games don't matter.:lol:

and expect the haters to be silent on this thread when he plays good but as soon as he makes a mistake they are quick to comment and type fast like an angry girlfriend :lol:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

And also, everyone just calm down, this was an exhibition game where Jake is playing against guys far younger than himself. Two goals means nothing to me - I want to see him out there in the clutch situations scoring game tying or winning goals. When you look back at the greats of the WJC they're the kids scoring the clutch goals and hopefully that's Jake. Bad first game, good second game but come on, they're exhibition games, they mean absolutely nothing at all.

Holy &^@#. Another case of this Aussie goof lying to prove a point. How many times are you going to continue to just make up stats? Guys far younger than himself? That's not possible in a tournament where the age gap cannot be more than 2 years. 

Guys older or the same age on Sweden:

Andreas Englund

Linus Soderstrom

Gustav Forsling

William Lagesson

Adam Ollas Mattsson

Marcus Pettersson

Aho

.... and that is just goalies and dmen. Too long to do forwards, which says something.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, clam linguine said:

Michael dal Colle would agree.  I remember hoping he would fall to us in the draft. He is struggling mightily after being sent back to junior by the Islanders.     Not sure if it would be good for Jake or not though.    http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=145014

24 points in 29 games is not that bad but since he was a top 5 draft pick its unacceptable. It will be like this for Virtanen too, being a 6th OA pick and not dominating Jrs (if he does get sent back).

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Down by the River said:

Holy &^@#. Another case of this Aussie goof lying to prove a point. How many times are you going to continue to just make up stats? Guys far younger than himself? That's not possible in a tournament where the age gap cannot be more than 2 years. 

Guys older or the same age on Sweden:

Andreas Englund

Linus Soderstrom

Gustav Forsling

William Lagesson

Adam Ollas Mattsson

Marcus Pettersson

Aho

.... and that is just goalies and dmen. Too long to do forwards, which says something.

Oh yes! Battle of the "Downs". Lets get it. :towel:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Average age of team sweden...19 years 3 months.

Jake Virtanen currently aged 19 years 5 months...

FAR younger people...

The fact that he's going head to head against 17 year old defencemen is everything. Similar age but experience-wise Jake is far ahead of everyone else, that's why expectations are highest of him.

4 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

The fact that he's going head to head against 17 year old defencemen is everything. Similar age but experience-wise Jake is far ahead of everyone else, that's why expectations are highest of him.

I believe there is only a handful of 17 year old defenceman in the tournament, and the ones that are in the tournament are usually projected to be taken in the top 50 picks....

Edited by Gstank29

1 minute ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

He's also playing against other 19 year olds; therefore, he's not farther ahead than everyone else.

See? I can warp facts too!

9 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

You have a very loose definition of what a 'fact' is. I count one 17 year old dman on Sweden... and several that are half a year older than JV.

If you want to make the argument that Virtanen is playing against guys who are not as highly touted and in the same 'class' as him, fine. Just stop inventing stats to try and illustrate your point. You do this all the time.

Edited by Down by the River
  • Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Jake Virtannen 2 goals  (Thrusting my hips forward non stop)

Pricness Nylander nothing

10 mins of non-stop thrust, hows your lower back feeling? i assume since it's non-stop its just one continuous thrusting rather than many successive thrustings.

Edited by Edlerberry

16 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Jake Virtannen 2 goals  (Thrusting my hips forward non stop)

Pricness Nylander nothing

I have been very much a supporter of the pick to get JV over Nylander, and I have picked on Nylander openly here.  I am not so proud to say I thought William Nylander looked really good this game.  He often drove the play, when he was on the ice.  I was impressed with his play off the puck too.  He played a much harder game than he used to.  I'm certainly glad we have JV, but I wouldn't mind having Nylander too.  Plus, with his pretty face the Canuck's calendar would sell like hot cakes to the 12 year old girls.:shock: 

It was great to see Jake score the goals, but what really impressed me was his dominant play in the O zone.  At times, he seemed to be singlehandedly keeping the puck in the Swede end; using his speed, muscle and terrific stick work.  He appears to be more mature and confident this year and his overall game has developed significantly.  He also made some pretty smart plays out there.

Apparently Virt has learned a lot from playing in the bigs.  Full steam ahead, Jake!

4 hours ago, Gstank29 said:

Funny how they all disappear isn't it. But i'm sure they will be back when Virtanen has a bad game  shift.

I'm not someone who's on here much as there's more to life than CDC.

Not gonna be a party pooper, Jake played well today. 

However, just as you guys tell me to not jump the gun, I'll remind you to do the same as it's only a prelim. 

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, The Lock said:

He's also playing against other 19 year olds; therefore, he's not farther ahead than everyone else.

See? I can warp facts too!

it's like listening to Hillary Clinton talk about how she was named after a guy who climbed everest - when she was already 6 years old.