The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

11 hours ago, stawns said:

I was thinking the exact same thing the other night watching Doan play.  I think jake is a much better skater though.

He could certainly learn a lot from Doan by watching where he scores his goals from. The guy goes to the hard areas of the ice like few have ever done. That's what it takes.

I can see a lot of similarities, but Jake doesn't have the work ethic yet. Very similar tools, but that never give up attitude that Doan has separates him from so many similar players

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, Derp... said:

Booth

Virtanen

At least he hurts himself by scoring right? Love Jakes game, I can understand the Booth comparisons, but I wouldn't project him to be that type of player.

okay. maybe just higher IQ in general, then...

9 hours ago, guntrix said:

Mentally and physically in the context of how they play the game, Jake is more similar to Booth but people "don't wanna hear it" because that comparison doesn't give them a boner.

Doan would be best case scenario. He's a franchise player for the 'Yotes. 

The truth likely lies somewhere in the middle ;) 

He's got more speed than Doan but likely less leadership and, at least for now, less 'go through a brick wall-ness'. 

On the contrary, I'd say he's got more of those last two things than Booth had and better IQ.

As I said in another thread:

Honestly I'll not be shocked to see Virtanen at sub-20 points until he's 22-23 and pleasantly surprised if he starts to break out before that. People need to quit expecting the poor kid to put up 40+ points this/next season. He's 19 and got a long way to go. He's going to be a good, complimentary player for us in a few years but  people need to be P.A.T.I.E.N.T.

The 'Virtanen's a bust' talk is going to be painful round here for the next few years.

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Jake is already a more dynamic player than Brown.

Yep. Let Jake be Jake. 

I understand all the comparisons - Doan, Brown, Booth, Torres, etc. 

He's going to be his own player in his own right. 

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

Wow I almost fell off my dinosaur.

i followed you over here from the other thread,can't get enough virt bashing,eh?did he bang your sister or something?lol.cause if he did thats a big time LOL

4 hours ago, gino#29 said:

i followed you over here from the other thread,can't get enough virt bashing,eh?did he bang your sister or something?lol.cause if he did thats a big time LOL

who hasn't?

An article discusses how Travis Green was allowing Cole Cassels to train and play at a "college schedule" in order to ease him in to the pros.  I would not have minded if that's how JV was ushered in and would not mind that strategy from this time on, for at least a few weeks.  One of the things the Comets have done is acknowledged the fact that most juniors don't have the stamina for the pros, at least not over the long term.  JV has been OK but why not use him sparingly at first and then insert him into situations where he is given free reign to be creative offensively.  His D game has proven to be decent so I see that as one way to develop his O game.  After awhile he can be slotted in more regularly.

6 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

I'm curious, what do you mean by this? 

Brown obviously has good elements in his game, but he's not a dynamic player.......he's slow, doesn't make exciting, high skill plays etc.  Jake, regardless of how much people want to bash him, already has high end speed and skills beyond Brown.  Doesn't mean Brown isn't a better player right now.

Next year in Utica and I expect him to be about at about .25 PPG pace in his first year in the minors

he might have a good second year in Utica 

if he ever makes an impact it likely won't be till 22-23. He's been passed on the depth chart of prospects which is unfortunate seeing as it's not all that deep.

A great point that Ray Ferraro made yesterday.

Watch Jake in his draft year, how didhe score? By running over guys skating around them and picking corners.

Theres only one player in the league who can do that in the NHL, that's Ovechkin, maybe Benn.

He's going to have to redefine himself.

2 minutes ago, Spotted Zebra said:

Next year in Utica and I expect him to be about at about .25 PPG pace in his first year in the minors

he might have a good second year in Utica 

if he ever makes an impact it likely won't be till 22-23. He's been passed on the depth chart of prospects which is unfortunate seeing as it's not all that deep.

I don't know if JV has been surpassed by other guys here, but he does need to develop the Power Forward game at the AHL level. He will become a big time impact player at 21 years old.  One year in the A and then he starts to dominate games at the NHL level too.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I don't know if JV has been surpassed by other guys here, but he does need to develop the Power Forward game at the AHL level. He will become a big time impact player at 21 years old.  One year in the A and then he starts to dominate games at the NHL level too.

Would you have him as a better prospect than Demko and McCann? Hell even shinkaruk is only a smidge behind