The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Just now, Sean Monahan said:

Born in December of 79, drafted in 04- he would've turned 25 a few months after being drafted. His first draft eligible year would've been '98 I guess.

Oh whoops. Totally misread your post. I thought you said he had 27 points haha. But yes, I just realized/remembered now, thanks! So I guess Franzen would not be a good example. Certainly hope Jake won't have to take as long!

• Upvote 1

If you want to take a more relevant career to compare to Jake's, Dustin Brown's might be that. While he put up way more points in the AHL (I'd give a decent amount of consideration to the team he was playing on vs what Jake is, though, especially since that was the lock-out year, so there would have been more talent to play with in the AHL), he didn't exactly light it up in the first 2 seasons of his career

Drafted in the 2003 entry draft,

2003-04 Los Angeles Kings NHL 31 1 4 5 16 0 -- -- -- -- --
2004-05 Manchester Monarchs AHL 79 29 45 74 96 7 6 5 2 7 10
2005-06 Los Angeles Kings NHL 79 14 14 28 80 -10 -- -- -- -- --
2006-07 Los Angeles Kings NHL 81 17 29 46 54 -21 -- -- -- -- --
2007-08 Los Angeles Kings NHL 78 33 27 60 55 -13 -- -- -- -- --
2008-09 Los Angeles Kings NHL 80 24 29 53 64 -15 -- -- -- -- --
2009-10 Los Angeles Kings NHL 82 24 32 56 41 -6 6 1 4 5 6
2010-11 Los Angeles Kings NHL 82 28 29 57 67 17 6 1 1 2 6
2011-12 Los Angeles Kings NHL 82 22 32 54 53 18 20 8 12 20 34
Edited by Psycho_Path
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

I would be thrilled if Jared turned out to be a Dustin Brown player. Although that is even becoming a stretch nowadays. 

I think you're being a bit dramatic.

With better ice time and linemates and if they ever put him back on the left side he could reach Dustin Brown numbers easily.

11 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

I would be thrilled if Jared turned out to be a Dustin Brown player. Although that is even becoming a stretch nowadays. 

That would be amazing for sure.

4 minutes ago, NEON.KNEE said:

I think you're being a bit dramatic.

With better ice time and linemates and if they ever put him back on the left side he could reach Dustin Brown numbers easily.

Well not necessarily. On top of his offensive output, Dustin Brown has a very strong two-way game, playing all 200 feet and constantly being a big penalty killer for the Kings throughout his career. Brown's hard hitting game is not only well reputed, but has never gotten him suspended besides an elbow in 2013. On top of that, he has never taken very many penalties and instead, has actually drawn the most penalties in 5 of 7 post lockout seasons. Also has leadership material that saw him captain the LA Kings to two Stanley Cups with one of them being their first ever. 

While being able to in an offensive output of 5 seasons with no less than 53 points, and 6 if you count his 52 point paced half lockout season with 29 points in 46 games. 

From what we can see of Jake so far, we'd be happy if he hit 40pts+ a season with a hard hitting game that would probably see him take a bunch of penalties and some pretty good defensive work. Probably won't see him wearing a C or an A either, which is not a big deal since we have plenty of players gunning for it already.

All this is kind of different from Brown, but if he could be a Brown-lite, that would be great too. 

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 1:31 PM, The Rattler said:

You didn't see Linden play, otherwise, you wouldn't be saying that.  You didn't see things like Linden in his rookie year taking a D zone faceoff with one minute left to play, protecting a one goal lead, and directing veteran players on where to position themselves.  Trust me, Linden was well above average right from the start.

Yup, I grew up and started watching hockey in the 80s, saw Linden's whole career.. Different era and the nucks had a lot of below average players (including the vets) back then as well.

16 hours ago, suitup said:

What I'm trying to say is that I don't think PWF's necessarily take longer to develop and is a myth around here that should be debunked. Maybe it's true for some but definitely not always the case. Which is why I don't really like that being used as an excuse for Jake around here.

However, I'm also on board on giving him time to see what he can become. Again, I just don't buy into that whole "PWFs take longer" myth. 

That's all in trying to say. A lot of PWF'S  take more time to develop. Not all of them. I never claimed it's a hard and fast rule with every single, large PWF. And it of course varies depending on the individual player their situation, team, etc.

Virtanen, for example, hasn't got a lot of other top 6 quality team mates in Utica... yet. Another reason I hope he's there for at least part of next year as well. Hopefully Zuhkenov, Jasek etc (come on Hischier!) help that next year. 

Even many of your better examples who were 'decent' players in their early 20's made an obvious leap once they hit 22/23'ish (some even later).

It's not an 'excuse', it's simply a common trend, even with the cream is the crop, that they simply take longer to fully adapt their game and bodies to the NHL level. 

Agreed with giving him time. 

• Upvote 1

Hopefully he comes back playing hard after the Christmas break. He was absolutely flying in the last game and there really wasn't anyone on the ice who could keep up. I'd like to see him use his teammates more, but when he is carrying the puck hard into the zone the way he has been lately, a shot on net is still a good play.

28 minutes ago, J.R. said:

That's all in trying to say. A lot of PWF'S  take more time to develop. Not all of them. I never claimed it's a hard and fast rule with every single, large PWF. And it of course varies depending on the individual player their situation, team, etc.

Virtanen, for example, hasn't got a lot of other top 6 quality team mates in Utica... yet. Another reason I hope he's there for at least part of next year as well. Hopefully Zuhkenov, Jasek etc (come on Hischier!) help that next year. 

Even many of your better examples who were 'decent' players in their early 20's made an obvious leap once they hit 22/23'ish (some even later).

It's not an 'excuse', it's simply a common trend, even with the cream is the crop, that they simply take longer to fully adapt their game and bodies to the NHL level. 

Agreed with giving him time. 

Is Herchier able to play in the AHL next season, or does he have to go back to junior.

3 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

??

He's playing in the Q for Halifax, but EP has him listed as on loan so I believe that makes him eligible for the AHL next year.

Thanks for the correction. Thought I remembered him playing in Europe but I guess it was on loan. 

Either way, AHL eligible I think :)