The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

1 minute ago, Chip Kelly said:

So you really think Willie is an above average coach? 

I don't think he's Ken Hitchcock here.

A sub par coach on one team can be fantastic on another see Torts, a lot of coaching is subjective from team to team. Certain players excel in certain systems

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Above average for NHL. In terms of adjustments lineups and tactics.

Look, if you are going to rave about how well Green has done with a limited lineup, you have to give the same amount, if not more, credit to WD coaching a team which is/was comprised of half of an aging stale core and half of AHLers and rookies. It is pretty difficult to determine what he can truly accomplish as a coach until he is given a competing roster, but thus far he has made a team that has been expected to finish last, compete hard every night. IF he could get the same kind of fight out of players that make up a contending team, then maybe he could really accomplish something.

If you want to debate the merits of WD anymore I suggest you don't take up any more room in the Jake Virtanen thread. 

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

Look, if you are going to rave about how well Green has done with a limited lineup, you have to give the same amount, if not more, credit to WD coaching a team which is/was comprised of half of an aging stale core and half of AHLers and rookies. It is pretty difficult to determine what he can truly accomplish as a coach until he is given a competing roster, but thus far he has made a team that has been expected to finish last, compete hard every night. IF he could get the same kind of fight out of players that make up a contending team, then maybe he could really accomplish something.

If you want to debate the merits of WD anymore I suggest you don't take up any more room in the Jake Virtanen thread. 

Speaking of Virtanen he sounds depressed. His shine as a prospect fromast year has worn off he has Boeser,Goldy, and Dahlen ahead of him on the totem pole in terms of potential.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Speaking of Virtanen he sounds depressed. His shine as a prospect fromast year has worn off he has Boeser,Goldy, and Dahlen ahead of him on the totem pole in terms of potential.

Good thing theres twelve forwards on an NHL team. Lots of room for Jake if he plays well next training camp and beyond.

2 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Less pressure on him then.  Add in Horvat and Hirschier (I dream), and you have a really well balanced top 6 if they all pan out.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/virtanen-learning-to-be-a-difference-maker-every-night-1.708790

Comments anybody on the above Jake Virtanen interview from 3:30 today (Mar 28)?

I was most struck by Jakes tone of voice.  He sounds beaten down and unenthusiastic.  Lost his spirit.  Hope I'm wrong.

He looked and sounded pretty positive and determined in his recent interview on Utica TV.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/virtanen-learning-to-be-a-difference-maker-every-night-1.708790

Comments anybody on the above Jake Virtanen interview from 3:30 today (Mar 28)?

I was most struck by Jakes tone of voice.  He sounds beaten down and unenthusiastic.  Lost his spirit.  Hope I'm wrong.

You know, he mentions guys like Wacey Hamilton and Cater Bancks as guys that have taught him things about being a pro during his time down in Utica, but I can't help to think how much a guy like Mike Keane (when he played for the Moose) would useful to have down there mentoring players like Jake. That is one element that I think we are missing - a NHL Stanley Cup veteran to show the young guys the ropes. It would be really useful to have someone like that to give strong advice to kids like Jake that are going through some struggles to find their game. As much as people think that role has been taken up by Green, I think it is much more useful to have someone on the roster feeding that advice. Just think about what Burrows had done for players like Bo Horvat, feeding him advice between shifts, or even further back with Sundin and Kesler. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

He sounded fine too me.  Sounded measured, carefully crafted his responses, and stayed super positive in the responses.  I think this journey to the AHL has been a humbling experience.  It speaks volumes of Green's ability to coach and get through to players.  

4 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

He sounded fine too me.  Sounded measured, carefully crafted his responses, and stayed super positive in the responses.  I think this journey to the AHL has been a humbling experience.  It speaks volumes of Green's ability to coach and get through to players.  

Agreed. I think Jake has definitely been humbled through his experience and time at Utica. Hope he continues to make progress, especially offensively. 

7 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Willi was turned down by a multitude of clubs too. Why do you think he only became a head coach at 60?

It he was so great why I'd he never get an opportunity earlier. Makes you wonder if he is really that good.

Didn't Pittsburgh pass over Willie to give the gig to Ryan Johnson?

Willie actually turned down Pittsburgh back in 2014. He was their top candidate but he turned them down for the Canucks. 

The Pittsburgh Penguins' choice to be their next coach "is going to go in a different direction," general manager Jim Rutherford told the Pittsburgh Tribune Review on Friday.

That coach is believed to be Willie Desjardins, who TSN reports will be named coach of the Vancouver Canucks

Rutherford said he will resume his search next week and plans to hire someone by July 1.

“We couldn't make it work," Rutherford told the newspaper. "... I'm going to take the weekend to sort some things out."

Asked about Desjardins, Rutherford told Yahoo Sports, "I think we tried to meet what he was looking for, but my opinion is, he was … His mind was set on going back to Canada. But that's just my opinion. He's the only guy who can really answer that."

Thursday, Rutherford told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette the Penguins were "checking out a few things" before they extended a formal offer to an unidentified candidate.

"There are a few guys that I could have selected, but this one person is a guy with great character and leadership qualities. He’s very well-prepared," Rutherford said Thursday.

TSN reported Thursday that Desjardins, the Texas Stars coach, was the Penguins' front-runner. The Post-Gazette said Desjardins, who is from Saskatchewan, had a phone interview Thursday morning and was expected to have a face-to-face interview later in Pittsburgh.

The article was written on June 21st 2014 (Saturday) and the TSN reports of an offer being sent was the Thursday before that. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/penguins-top-choice-to-coach-out-of-mix-report/c-723193

Edited by Watermelons
  • Upvote 3

19 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

There isn't going to be a huge difference going from Willie to Green

I've been saying that for some time now after similar posts from Utica fans and hearing how he's using players and coaching the team.

15 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

I think the point people miss here is Green is coaching the way the Canucks want him too. A similar system and style so when I guy is called up he  understands how to play Willie's "system'.

There will be similarities based on that alone, but the quoted example of Negrin getting in as a 7th defenceman over any of the new forwards isn't anything to do with synergy between the Canucks and the Comets. He literally coaches in a similar way to Desjardins: real player guy, likes them to play a complete game with defence in mind, rolls offence spread through 4 lines, has been criticized for not giving enough opportunity early enough to young stars (which has helped them develop properly), etc. He really is similar to how Desjardins coaches and there's no point in replacing Desjardins with Green if we feel what's happening now is what's wrong.

10 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Willi was turned down by a multitude of clubs too. Why do you think he only became a head coach at 60?

It he was so great why I'd he never get an opportunity earlier. Makes you wonder if he is really that good.

The information in that post is SO WRONG in so many ways I will leave others to enlighten you.

I would be interested to see your list of jobs he applied for and was turned down. - I'm waiting.

http://wheatkings.com/desjardins-truitt-off-to-nhl/

Interesting opinions on Willie and also how universal the hate is for our fans - looking at these boards day after day one can't help wonder if some of it is justified. :P

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/archive/index.php/t-1683825-p-2.html

Desjardins+cup+raise+-+Colin+Peddle.jpg
Willie Desjardins (Credit: Colin Peddle/AHL)
"Texas Stars head coach Willie Desjardins has been named the next head coach of the NHL's Vancouver Canucks this Monday morning. Following the regular season, he was on many teams' radar as a trendy head coach pick. With the Calder Cup win, his stock soared. In addition to being connected with Vancouver, he was also considered in Nashville, Carolina, Florida and Pittsburgh.

The early favorite for many was the Vancouver Canucks. Though there were flirtations with the Pittburgh Penguins over the past 72 hours, he ended up with the first team that many speculated on. With Desjardins' western Canada connections, it seems to be a great fit. The Canucks are a team looking to have a resurgence. After heading to the Stanley Cup Finals in 2011, the Canucks are looking to build back to their prior heights. Desjardins has three championships across two leagues so far in his head coaching career and has shown a track record of taking teams to the top.

Toby Petersen spoke about Willie's style and his ability to inspire a team.

"He's regarded a lot as a players coach. That's not to say he's easy on players. He's actually really hard on players. If you look at the guys here, the comment I made to some of the staff is that guys want to win for Willie. He has that power to draw the team together and pull for each other. We don't want to let anyone down."

On the home front, the Texas Stars will now look for a new head coach for the third time in their history. The team has twice had their head coach leave to lead an NHL squad, a pretty solid track record. That success and the emphasis that Dallas is placing on minor league development make the Texas Stars an attractive destination for anyone looking to take that step in their career."

However, one of the rumors around the non-hire in Pittsburgh was Desjardins' concern with the assistant coaching staff. It was very set in Pittsburgh but is wide open in Vancouver. It opens the door for Doug Lidster to join Desjardins with the Canucks. If that is true, the Canucks coaching staff will consist of three former Texas Stars coach (Glen Gulutzan was retained from the previous season).

There is the assistant coach domino that then falls. Texas could call on its ECHL affiliate and pull up Brad Ralph as one possibility. AHL head coaching positions aren't easy to predict and assistant coaches are at least twice as difficult. More will become known over the next few weeks as the team progresses toward development camp in July.

For my part personally, I have always enjoyed talking with Willie. He can be cagey at times with his signature, "Oh, I don't know" in response to injury questions. But he's a very bright hockey mind, and it has been a pleasure to interact with him on a nightly basis over the past two seasons.

Desjardins+-+Christina+Shapiro+Texas+Stars.jpg
(Credit: Christina Shapiro/Texas Stars)

Series could set an AHL record if it makes it to Game 6
crowd+environment+-+Colin+Peddle.jpg
Mile One Centre before Game 3 (Credit: Colin Peddle)

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

I believe that Willie choose Van over Pitt.

13 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

If we assume Boeser evolves into the 1RD that gives you 1 RD at 200 pounds or higher. IMHO Van will still need another RD at +200 pounds so Virtanen at 20 years old is no where close to being out of the picture whether at 2RD or 3RD. I see it no dif on the left side. 2LD at +200 pounds. Canucks are no where big enough to be seriously competitive.  

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, logic said:

A sub par coach on one team can be fantastic on another see Torts, a lot of coaching is subjective from team to team. Certain players excel in certain systems

I doubt that. 

Imo every coach needs talent and will to win from his players.

Sometimes the coach himself will actually destroy that will to win by his attitude and coaching decisions. Torts was such a guy, it is working for him because he has stepped in at the right time with a young team but his record shows, the players soon get tired of his approach and cut him free.

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

If we assume Boeser evolves into the 1RD that gives you 1 RD at 200 pounds or higher. IMHO Van will still need another RD at +200 pounds so Virtanen at 20 years old is no where close to being out of the picture whether at 2RD or 3RD. I see it no dif on the left side. 2LD at +200 pounds. Canucks are no where big enough to be seriously competitive.  

Exactly Boudrias, that was JUST ONE of the things that worried me looking at the Jets and Ducks games. We need more size in the forwards, it has been obvious here for 15 years. I'm talking about 1st and 2nd line size that comes with attitude, physicality and above all skill. 

Maybe Goldy and Dahlen will "beef up" but Granny and Sven are as big as they will ever be. Boeser will fill out and harden up a bit more and Bo just needs to use his solid frame to more effect.

Once we stop teams from knocking us about we will be able to utilise our speed and skill more.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Exactly Boudrias, that was JUST ONE of the things that worried me looking at the Jets and Ducks games. We need more size in the forwards, it has been obvious here for 15 years. I'm talking about 1st and 2nd line size that comes with attitude, physicality and above all skill. 

Maybe Goldy and Dahlen will "beef up" but Granny and Sven are as big as they will ever be. Boeser will fill out and harden up a bit more and Bo just needs to use his solid frame to more effect.

Once we stop teams from knocking us about we will be able to utilise our speed and skill more.

I never mentioned center but also a 1C need. The draft will be very interesting. If Columbus gives us their 2nd Rounder does that give us 2? I think Van still has their 2nd.

Fans scoff at the insistence of size assuming that smaller players have more skill. Not a given. Size in CUP play should provide better durability. Bigger size should help in the West as well.  

• Upvote 1