The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

13 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Jake with one of his signature "reverse hits" to spring Goldie.

As I said...

On 4/13/2017 at 0:53 PM, J.R. said:

Better D to transition the puck (coming), agree on LW and hopefully a couple other 'primary' skilled forwards for him to play with (use his speed/size to create space, turnovers etc, bang in pucks) 

Man... Virtanen, Hischier, Goldobin would be a hell of a 1st line in Utica next year! Come on lotto balls!

Put Valk at 2C and add a few upgrades that are coming at D...

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Jake has the physical attributes to be a top 6 NHL player. I am sure that had a big part in why Benning drafted him. Was Benning fooled by Virtanen's pre-draft interview? Does Virtanen have character flaws that will prevent his maximizing his potential? Isn't that the essence of developing a player? Combining the physical with the mental approach to the game is what development is all about. To me that is what Benning & Co. did with Jake this past year. They realized his approach to the game had be changed and Green has worked on that through this past season.

Worrying about whether Virtanen was drafted in the top 10 or not is a over weighted game. There are a huge number of players in the NHL who were high drafts and never achieved what many thought was their true potential. In my mind if Virtanen becomes a solid 3rd line, energy guy on a CUP winning team his draft position would have been a huge coup. Winning teams are built on a broader base than ppg.     

I mostly agree, but what types of players does a team usually draft top ten: bottom six energy guys, or top six point producers?  

29 minutes ago, junglesniper said:

I watched most of the game and Jake and Goldobin were not regular linemates. I'm pretty sure Jake got out there early because Grenier went on a change. Virtanen as been playing mostly with Cassels and Labate

After the JV to Goldobin goal, Green juggled the line a bit more to get that combo out there more often later in the game.

I still don't understand why Jake is often stapled to Cassels...

6 minutes ago, Byrix said:

After the JV to Goldobin goal, Green juggled the line a bit more to get that combo out there more often later in the game.

I don't mind it, cassels is responsible defensively and putting jake out there with him is only going to help that mind set. When green is saying jv is making big improvements obviously he is starting to develope a strong game away from the puck clearly not putting up points 

30 minutes ago, Byrix said:

Guessing it has to do with how they're trying to get him to play.

2 hours ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Imagine if Darryl Sutter got hired and turned Virtanen into a Dustin Brown?

I think Marc Crawford was coaching when DB started his upswing.  Brown was already acing it in the AHL and it didn't take long for him to be successful in the NHL (although the points dried up within 5 years, as did his physical game.   Long enough to get a super contract though).

28 minutes ago, LegionOfDoom said:

I don't mind it, cassels is responsible defensively and putting jake out there with him is only going to help that mind set. When green is saying jv is making big improvements obviously he is starting to develope a strong game away from the puck clearly not putting up points 

Anyways, 1. I want to point out Goldobin looks like a perfect fit on the opposite wing of JV.

AND...2. I don't think Cassels is helping anyone at this point.(I actually think JV's positioning both on D and on O is better than Cassels)

Edited by Byrix

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I mostly agree, but what types of players does a team usually draft top ten: bottom six energy guys, or top six point producers?  

Over the last decade If I recall, almost a full 40% of players drafted in the top ten have either busted, flamed out or become less productive than their draft positions dictate they should

Keeping in mind over the last decade again If I recall correctly, the teams choosing in the top 10 have remained fairly consistent.  So while people may flame question or decry the Virtanen pick, how do you think teams that have picked consistently in the top 10 over the last 10 years feel knowing that at least 3 to 4 of their picks have not produced to their draft numbers.  At least by CDC's measure

• Upvote 3

So Jake gets traded lets say to LA. Spends a year in the minors there.At the age of 22 things all of a sudden turn around,( could it be the patience he needed, a bit more seasoning, less CDC)  can you imagine what would be said about the  management  of the team then. Alot are writing him off at 20 yrs old, trade him , our scouts know nothing ,he will only project to a 3-4th line player.It confuses me. He has more potential then kass ever will ,now that Kass having a good game or 2 JB and TL are rediculous,got rid of him to soon should have gave him more time. How short  some memories are. 

• Upvote 2

I don't mind if Jake projects (to begin with anyway) to a 4th line energy winger. (similar to what Hansen brought) >>Anchor the 4th line would be great!!

I said the same thing about Kass "Let him anchor the 4th line" why is that such a derogatory statement? 

Everybody has to start somewhere. Hansen moved up and down the line up.  The 4th line as a true energy line that hits (and chips in with a few goals). In the playoffs you need these type of lines to battle every shift. (Notice they put the whistles away more now during the playoffs?)

11 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

Actually i'm not negative at all i am a huge fan of Jake and would love for him to be a top line player. There is still time i realize that but as of right now and this past season he hasn't shown it yet. I'm not sure you understand hockey if you think points in the AHL are not important points of a player's development. He is developing, just not at a first line kind of player that they were hoping for with a 6th overall pick. 

Again, you are missing the point.  All you keep noting is points and goals.   For the type of player he is, one that didn't have to worry about play away from the puck when in junior as he simply "scared" the opposition, it is a process and it takes a few seasons.   Travis Green is acknowledged as one of the best developers of young talent but also for someone without filters and who was leaned on heavily for advice when, for example, trading HS.   When Green says Virtanen has come miles this year I would not only believe him but expect next season, which may again start in AHL, to be that much better again.   I stand by my comments elsewhere that once this kid is 23-24, wherever he is playing (If Canucks give up on him, huge mistake) he will be a beast and someone that everyone in the NHL will want.   They don't grow blocks of talent like this who are that strong and still that fast with good hands.   One or two at most per draft and they are coveted.   The challenge is they often take a while to develop - and patience is not something many hockey fans in this market tend to have.

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Over the last decade If I recall, almost a full 40% of players drafted in the top ten have either busted, flamed out or become less productive than their draft positions dictate they should

Keeping in mind over the last decade again If I recall correctly, the teams choosing in the top 10 have remained fairly consistent.  So while people may flame question or decry the Virtanen pick, how do you think teams that have picked consistently in the top 10 over the last 10 years feel knowing that at least 3 to 4 of their picks have not produced to their draft numbers.  At least by CDC's measure

And that's why I prefaced my post with, "I mostly agree".  I want Jake to develop into more than a bottom six guy.  I think, considering his draft position, there's no reason not to keep expectations high, for now.

1 hour ago, bp79 said:

Ha Terrible drives me nuts. and if your gonna tell a story it might as well be the whole truth. I like you don;t give a rats ass what people say about me. 

Now vBack to Jake I think if he is played with talented players he will succeed. He may not be the type to drive A play, but he can create room and finish off a play from a talented linemate. Last year sticking him on the 4th line expecting him to produce was a mistake. I will use Jesse pullarvi as an example. Thia guy was at one point as maybe even going first or second The guy was a stud. Oil played him on the 3rd and mostly 4th line with plugs. One goal in 28 games, 7 assists. Yet here no talk of him being a bust. And he prolly won't be. Players need ice time and good or at least decent players to excel especially at a young age.

I hope our next coach puts ALL our players in the best spots to succeed. I really like Jake on LEFT wing, how about you?

13 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

Where do you see him on the Canucks? What is this bs about personal grudge... i like the guy and a big fan of the pick at the time. Some picks work out and others don't.

I think given his injury,. Plus being given garbage minutes in a year where he should have been in Junior, plus and this is on him not being prepared for training camp. All put him him behind a bit. This last half of the year he has taken strideds to fix what he could. As for the points, I know it is a very small sample size but when he played with actual NHL calibre players he looked like an NHL player  Jake will never be the guy who drives the play, but I think if he is put next year with for example Goldy and if we get Nolan or Nico he will bury a lot of one timers and create space using his size. Cheers