The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

On 6/5/2017 at 10:23 AM, Hairy Kneel said:

I think Green has Jake on the right trajectory for success, game fitness first then next is the mental fitness. Jake needs to play a 200 foot game for each and every period.  Yes I watched a few Utica games and yes I was expecting more scoring but the transition by the end of the year Jake was faster and stronger defensively. Green actually held back his minutes sort of, at the end of the season, opting to go more for AHL veterans like Archie Grenier Bancks Hamilton and Valk. If Utica had made the playoffs I think Jake would have found an opportunity to re-assert himself, within Green's game plan.

But his time is now, better late than never Jake. Looking forward to watching him in training camp.

Its good for JV that theres a continuance and familiarity with coach Green...I'm sure its been spelled out to JV exactly what he needs to work on this off season..

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

Its good for JV that theres a continuance and familiarity with coach Green...I'm sure its been spelled out to JV exactly what he needs to work on this off season..

i'm really curious to see how Jake will responds with Green at the helm. 

does he come in expecting Green to favor him, or does he work hard this off-season and earn a spot, and earn the new coach's respect. 

i hope he does well come training camp and he proves all his naysayers wrong. if he comes into camp at 210-215 pounds and still can't get his game together, i'd be concerned and worried that he may not hit his ceiling....

17 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

here Its good for JV that theres a continuance and familiarity with coach Green...I'm sure its been spelled out to JV exactly what he needs to work on this off season..

There is only that continuity though because he was the only rookie to screw up his opportunity under WD. I don't expect him to get any favours under Green who imo will make WD look like a soft touch. We already heard above that Green favoured vet AHLers over Jake when the chips were down at the end of last season. Whatever Jake gets now he will have earned and worked his ass off for and I would not want it any different - he had the easy route in and sh-t all over it and now he will have to do it the hard way.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

There is only that continuity though because he was the only rookie to screw up his opportunity under WD. I don't expect him to get any favours under Green who imo will make WD look like a soft touch. We already heard above that Green favoured vet AHLers over Jake when the chips were down at the end of last season. Whatever Jake gets now he will have earned and worked his ass off for and I would not want it any different - he had the easy route in and sh-t all over it and now he will have to do it the hard way.

Why did Jake get the "easy" treatment from WD and management?

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

i wonder if virtanen is onthe beer and eat junk food  chips and donuts diet this summer   maybe hes second coming of kyle wellwood lol ;) 

As you are clearly trolling how about this - Kyle Wellwood was drafted in the FIFTH round (134th overall) and went on to play almost 500 NHL games, score close to 100 goals and put up about 0.5 points per game.   If he is the second coming, given he was 6th overall, you would extrapolate well over 100 games and several hundred goals etc. etc.    :rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

As you are clearly trolling how about this - Kyle Wellwood was drafted in the FIFTH round (134th overall) and went on to play almost 500 NHL games, score close to 100 goals and put up about 0.5 points per game.   If he is the second coming, given he was 6th overall, you would extrapolate well over 100 games and several hundred goals etc. etc.    :rolleyes:

Haha solid response. Wellwood had unreal hands, it's too bad he didn't ever truly dedicate himself to the sport

3 minutes ago, ashlynnbrookefan said:

Haha solid response. Wellwood had unreal hands, it's too bad he didn't ever truly dedicate himself to the sport

Just a quirky guy with different priorities.   Clearly had oodles of talent.   The amount of dedication required to be a professional athlete is intense and not for everyone - even those as talented as Kyle was but still, his numbers were decent for a fifth round pick I would say.   He made more than enough money if he was smart with it so who says he wasn't "smart" - he is retired in his mid-30s with so much life in front of him and had fun playing hockey.   Not too bad!

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Just a quirky guy with different priorities.   Clearly had oodles of talent.   The amount of dedication required to be a professional athlete is intense and not for everyone - even those as talented as Kyle was but still, his numbers were decent for a fifth round pick I would say.   He made more than enough money if he was smart with it so who says he wasn't "smart" - he is retired in his mid-30s with so much life in front of him and had fun playing hockey.   Not too bad!

That's very true, but had he been at his best as a player he would have certainly made even more money. Not everyone has that Toews mentality but it would be nice if they did haha 

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

+1 for use of the word oodles. 

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

Why did Jake get the "easy" treatment from WD and management?

For two reasons imo. His size and his draft position. He was given the opportunity and WD didn't pressure him (probably because he also didn't think he was ready) 

However after he was slaughtered by the media WD immediately sprang to his defence and set about re-building his confidence  - it seemed to work and Jake was playing well to the end of the season.

Amazingly when pre-seasoncame around Jake (for some unfathomable reason) chose to crap all over the coach and turn up like like the Michelin Man. The rest is history.

Edited by alfstonker
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, BananaMash said:

Because it's bad optically if the first major pick under a new management regime is a failure.

Plus they need the type of player Jake was touted and drafted to be.  Fast, physical winger who can finish consistently,  I'm just not sure he has the hockey IQ / skills to be that player at the NHL level. I see his ceiling as a Raffi Torres (solid third liner). I hope he proves me wrong. 

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

For two reasons imo. His size and his draft position. He was given the opportunity and WD didn't pressure him (probably because he also didn't think he was ready) 

However after he was slaughtered by the media WD immediately sprang to his defence and set about re-building his confidence  - it seemed to work and Jake was playing well to the end of the season.

Amazingly when pre-seasoncame around Jake (for some unfathomable reason) chose to crap all over the coach and turn up like like the Michelin Man. The rest is history.

When Jake came back from the WJC he actually played his best hockey for about 20 games.  He was noticeable on almost every shift.  Then like you say, he chose the Pilsbury training regime.  I'm excited to see Jake playing at under 210, and fit.  

41 minutes ago, Borvat said:

Plus they need the type of player Jake was touted and drafted to be.  Fast, physical winger who can finish consistently,  I'm just not sure he has the hockey IQ / skills to be that player at the NHL level. I see his ceiling as a Raffi Torres (solid third liner). I hope he proves me wrong. 

If he hit a peak like 2006 Torres and potted 40+ points I'd see that as a massive success at this point.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, BananaMash said:

If he hit a peak like 2006 Torres and potted 40+ points I'd see that as a massive success at this point.

He 'should' be able to beat those numbers if he stays committed. His issue in my opinion is he needs to grow up and realize hockey is no longer a 'game' and about puck bunnies but its his profession. I believe that Green clearly made some inroads with him, and probably seeing alot of AHL lifers has hopefully helped him too. Ie, in Utica I am sure he saw alot of talented AHL players and though "geez, that guy is pretty damn good and better than me right now, why isn't he in the show" - or hopefully that realization hit him

As for points, he has the hands and speed to score 25-30 in the NHL, that is not a question, so I think saying 40 pts is a 'massive' success is a bit of hyperbole. Jake will be fine once he matures I believe. His issues are not that he 'cant' play the game at a high level and potentially elite (for his toolbox), the issue in my view, is does he have the innate compete and maturity to learn that he has to actually WORK at his JOB now.

Edited by PassittoBoeser