The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

2 hours ago, ThaShady1 said:

Personally I think Virtanen's game would actually translate better to our starting lineup than Boeser's. Collectively our team is starved for goal scorers, at least based on last year. I can see why management will likely start Boeser. Virtanen though would be well suited to a bottom 6 role against lower QoC. In fact I think he would thrive there, as expectations would be lower and he can concentrate on improving his 200' game and becoming a more complete player.

This is year I think more so than in quite some time we see very balanced minutes throughout the lineup. I think Boeser will do better being the go-to in Utica, with 18-20 minutes a night and PP1 minutes. 

Either way I'd love to see them both in the starting lineup, and at least to start I think we'll likely see that. However if either get moved back down, I really hope Green and/or Benning take the time to sit them down and explain their reasons, and what they'd like to see them improve on. 

Boeser will be seeing PP1 time on this team.. and is probably the best RW currently on the team and has a legit shot at the calder . Virtanen is who should be in Utica playing big minutes and further developing his offensive game

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Boeser will be seeing PP1 time on this team.. and is probably the best RW currently on the team and has a legit shot at the calder . Virtanen is who should be in Utica playing big minutes and further developing his offensive game

Probably yes, and I'm not disagreeing with your assessment. I believe the rest of Boeser's game needs a little more work before the expected pressure to perform in a top 6 role. He's going to be going up against the very best in the world, and the last thing we want to do is ruin a players confidence. It gives him the ability to dangle into the centre and unload those crispy wristers as he's been doing. His game relies on creating plays and scoring goals. 

Now, granted, Virtanen has had a very very good camp but that doesn't mean he's ready. However, the difference is expectations, and if they are that he play a simple north south game and do the little things right, I think he'll be successful.

Realisitically, we don't need either of them in the lineup this year, as we're not ready to challenge for a whole lot yet. Them playing together in Utica would not be a bad thing whatsoever. 

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, missioncanucksfan said:

I wouldn't doubt that Burmistrov gets sent to Utica as well.

He too could be great for guys like JV, Dahlen and the rest

7 hours ago, stawns said:

No chance Burmistrov clears waivers......none. 

I'd have to agree with Mission's comments on this. The size of Burmistrov's contract does suggest that a lot of other teams weren't that interested in him, or, if he was solely interested in only signing with the Canucks then these other teams probably weren't that interested in throwing a significant amount more cash at Burmistrov to lure him away.

If exposed, Burmistrov may indeed get picked up off waivers, but the longer the Canucks wait the greater the chance that another team may want to take a chance on him as their own prospects, players or UFA signings aren't working out as expected. 

Also, it comes down to an issue of asset management. There are other guys who I would prefer the team not lose on waivers by keeping them at the NHL rather than Burmistrov.

regards,  G.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Toronto will take him just cause 

And so might Mtl or Pitts provided they got .9k in cap space.

The allure here was Burmistrov connection to Newell. If Newell says we can do without during coach/management huddle meetings then he is gone.

After all we have

Horvat

Hank

Sutter

Gagner

Chaput

Along with Gaunce coming back and the possibilities of Granlund sliding back to center in a pinch.

On 9/23/2017 at 7:08 PM, stawns said:

I don't know, I think they believe that Burmistrov can be a real contributor, offensively.  I don't see them letting him go, not early on anyway.

I agree on Burmistrov's potential. I am merely looking at this from an asset management position. In my opinion, he has a better shot at making it through waivers than some of the team's other players/prospects. Further, as the pre-season goes on, the number of potentially interested teams will go up, not down.

So, if he is kept at the NHL level (which won't hurt my feelings as I think he can be a very effective bottom-6 guy) who then is exposed to waivers assuming the Canucks do have to expose someone they need to send down and can't shelter by injured reserve etc? I think a guy like Gaunce will be snapped up right away, and I think he has more of a future here than Burmistrov (and once again, not knocking the guy). :)

regards,  G.

13 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

I agree on Burmistrov's potential. I am merely looking at this from an asset management position. In my opinion, he has a better shot at making it through waivers than some of the team's other players/prospects. Further, as the pre-season goes on, the number of potentially interested teams will go up, not down.

So, if he is kept at the NHL level (which won't hurt my feelings as I think he can be a very effective bottom-6 guy) who then is exposed to waivers assuming the Canucks do have to expose someone they need to send down and can't shelter by injured reserve etc? I think a guy like Gaunce will be snapped up right away, and I think he has more of a future here than Burmistrov (and once again, not knocking the guy). :)

regards,  G.

that's exactly why the kids need to start in Utica.

• Upvote 1

Id be fine either way if JV is in our line up, or started in Utica and our first call up. 

I'm sure coaching and management are praising his progress. But the though ofba stacked Utica team, and JV playing top minutes is good too.

Have them win together in the A and maybe it will follow them up. Woo. Just stoked you can see the work he's been putting in. Imo

8 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

1st Star of the game. Got a goal. Gonna be tough for JB and coach Green to tell Virt he's gotta start in Utica.

Archie played great as well. 

Anxious to see how it unfolds. Rodin looks like he'll get waived and sent to Utica, hope he clears.

Rodin had assist and was flying around grabbing pucks, forechecking hard etc. 

JV got a weaksauce goal and got a really really stupid penalty leading to goal. 

I would keep Rodin as his game translated into generating offensive chances vs JV didn't really do much after goal. He should start in Utica and prove he can keep it up. 

Edited by shad0w4life

8 minutes ago, shad0w4life said:

Rodin had assist and was flying around grabbing pucks, forechecking hard etc. 

JV got a weaksauce goal and got a really really stupid penalty leading to goal. 

I would keep Rodin as his game translated into generating offensive chances vs JV didn't really do much after goal. He should start in Utica and prove he can keep it up. 

I also think Virtanen should start in Utica. At least for couple of months. 

Let's see what happens. 

34 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Disagree, Virtanen outplayed Rodin by a mile yesterday and throughout the preseason.  Why are people so concerned about exposing Rodin to waivers?  He's a bubble player at best on a basement team, personally I don't see much potential in him and I highly doubt he would get claimed anyways.  Virtanen brings more, can play throughout the lineup and is younger, faster and more physical.  I am surprised it's even a discussion at this point to be honest. 

I'm with you.  I've been as hard on Jake as anyone, with serious concerns about his inability to put together the kind of game I knew he was capable of.

This preseason I feel this is a JV we haven't seen before.  Every aspect of his game seems better with the exception of hitting - but he is still strong enough to drive himself in there and gets the opponents off the puck.  The part that I've seen so far which has been actually quite surprising is his reading the play.  His forecheck has improved and is providing scoring opportunities.  He seems more defensively responsible.  I'm really happy to see him starting to put it all together.

I also agree he has outplayed Rodin overall - though I feel Rodin has improved from what we've seen previously and DO think he would be picked up if placed on waivers.

• Upvote 4