The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Actually, they (kind of) do.  Then, in the playoffs, those guys disappear.  Thomas Vanek is that type of player too, which is why he has little to no value come TDL.  

EP40 now there is a guy who loves the dirty part of hockey.

I am thinking that OJ should spend the summer with Jake.  He improved his conditioning last year by leaps and bounds.  I was thinking the same for Kole Lind. :)

Edited by dpn1

1 hour ago, bp79 said:

I'm hoping we sign him cheap long term now. if he breaks out into a legit star that would be cdrucial in being able to keep the core together. 3x2-2.5 would be fair and gives us room to manoeuvre. 

I'd like this as well, but I don't see him signing to a 5 or 6 year at 2 mil. just for that very reason.

If he broke out and became a lock for 40 to 50 pnts and became a full 2 way player in a couple seasons, he knows he's going to be worth a whole lot more. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I know there is something like 500 pages of this thread dedicated to arguing about how players don't emerge after a certain age in their development... at the age of 25 and never having put up more than 25 points in a season, man William Karlsson is a beast out there on the ice this year!

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

18 hours ago, Alflives said:

We are seeing the true colors of Nylander and Ehlers in playoff hockey. They are perimeter players, who turn pucks over a lot due to fear of contact.  If they are not putting up points, they are hurting their teams.  They are not players who lead teams to championships.  Jake, on the other hand, is a playoff performer.  He's got the size, skill, and determination to be a difference maker.  The part that is the best is those two puffballs will put up big regular season points, and (therefore) get big money deals.  Ha Ha Ha!!!  Tough luck Toronto!!!!!!  You got no chance.  At least the Jets have Huge, tough guys to insulate Ehlers.

and yet somehow they managed to get their team to the playoffs. Has Virtanen done that? 

Jake has played in play-off games and was part of a WJC team that won gold.  His physical play at the WJC had a major impact.  I know at the 2nd WJC he got too physical but that was just one situation.  Jake gets flack for it but the team lost, not just him.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, HomeBrew said:

I know there is something like 500 pages of this thread dedicated to arguing about how players don't emerge after a certain age in their development... at the age of 25 and never having put up more than 25 points in a season, man William Karlsson is a beast out there on the ice this year!

Look, how many times have you been told that logic and reason, let alone patience, has no place in the Jake Virtanen thread.   

This is your last warning.  You know the consequences.   :angry:

• Haha 2
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Look, how many times have you been told that logic and reason, let alone patience, has no place in the Jake Virtanen thread.   

This is your last warning.  You know the consequences.   :angry:

Agreed, a lot of sentiment and conjecture to be seen in this thread. Any honest objectivity is met with outright hostility. One such person flipped out on me for merely refuting the argument that Virtanen is a "playoff performer".  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Toews said:

Agreed, a lot of sentiment and conjecture to be seen in this thread. Any honest objectivity is met with outright hostility. One such person flipped out on me for merely refuting the argument that Virtanen is a "playoff performer".  

Well, he hasn't been to the NHL playoffs yet so that would be conjecture.  My thoughts is he would look VERY good in this year's playoffs and would have helped a few teams over the hump that didn't quite make it out of first round etc. but that is also conjecture as he isn't on their teams.    

However, hard to argue with you about something that hasn't happened.   I think he will be a playoff beast - I base that on how he plays that game.   However, as he has never played in the NHL playoffs I am projecting only and have no solid evidence so if you were to say, "I don't agree", I cannot see any reason to be hostile with you.   In fact, you have a better argument only as he hasn't been in the NHL playoffs and able to show anything yet.   

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, NHL'er said:

A bit like this but much more devastating :bigblush:

I do believe McDavid played no more games in that tournament after Virtanen destroyed him.  McDavid wasn't hurt either.  The Oilers wanted to keep him from getting hurt.  Maybe McDavid is one of those fragile players, who aren't tough enough for the physical play?  

Thanks for posting!  Love the Jake Train!!!!

11 hours ago, HomeBrew said:

Karlsson was a "speedy guy" who had a career high NHL 9 goals (besting his career high AHL 8 goals).    Sound familiar?    Let's give up on players at 21 coz no chance they will improve.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Karlsson was a "speedy guy" who had a career high NHL 9 goals (besting his career high AHL 8 goals).    Sound familiar?    Let's give up on players at 21 coz no chance they will improve.

William Karlsson is a good example. I agree. 

But he also wasn't drafted in the first round, 6th pick like Virtanen was, which is why Jake receives so much criticism. 

I think Virtanen's going to surprise a lot of people next year. Green really broke his game down, and is hopefully building it back up to the point that he can be a goal-scorer in this league. 20 goals next season? He's going to, in my personal opinion, get very close to it.

• Upvote 1

Looking forward to next year with Virtanen throwing hits, he is starting to learn how to throw hits to be effective and not throw hits and be taken out of the play.  What Coach needs to do when Jake goes end to end and power moves to the net is for fellow teammates to clean up the garbage rebounds.  Also in the off-season, soft lobs with the puck on those power moves that fool the goalie and not aim for the crest ont he goalie.

On 2018-05-01 at 2:24 AM, iinatcc said:

and yet somehow they managed to get their team to the playoffs. Has Virtanen done that? 

Well, Jake does have as many goals this post-season deep into the second round as Ehlers.....

• Haha 3

On 5/1/2018 at 10:25 AM, N4ZZY said:

William Karlsson is a good example. I agree. 

But he also wasn't drafted in the first round, 6th pick like Virtanen was, which is why Jake receives so much criticism. 

I think Virtanen's going to surprise a lot of people next year. Green really broke his game down, and is hopefully building it back up to the point that he can be a goal-scorer in this league. 20 goals next season? He's going to, in my personal opinion, get very close to it.

Man...if Virt scores 20 next season that would be damn exciting imo. I hope so!!

• Upvote 1