The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

13 hours ago, Timbermen said:

Bud, i agree with you about Virtanen being an under rated player but you need to stop with this Sedin Sisters crap, it's not the UFC.  They did more for this team and city than any other players other than maybe Pat Quinn, Linden, Smyl, Rota or Gradin. No one will touch their team scoring records for many years. Do you really think ex and current NHL players disrespect the Sedins the way you are? The only ones that did were jealous players that were tired of losing to them and Tyler Seguin who is a self admitted homo sexual. Watch this video, do you really think Bertuzzi, Burke and the others are just saying this for no reason? Burke absolutely hates soft players, listen to what he says here. 

Ummm... what the hell does that have to do with anything?

5 hours ago, Toews said:

Who here cares whether you attack Nylander/Ehlers? Its low hanging fruit at this point. Its like all the "McDavid is overrated and one-dimensional" posts in the last GDT with the Oilers. The more pejoratives fans use to describe rival players the more insecure you appear. Calling a player "one dimensional, non playoff contributor, pink toque wearing skill forward", just reeks of insecurity and bitterness, which isn't a great look. If you can't defend Virtanen without attacking other players, then its likely you don't really have a leg to stand upon. The same go for the posters who are calling the Sedins "sisters", I struggle to remember what our current stars have accomplished to be considered tougher than the Sedins. But I digress.

Also Nylander wasn't likened to Gretzky, the poster made a point not to let emotions cloud ones judgement. Seems like great advice for quite a few in this thread.

Hey I've given fair points on why I think that...

it's not lIke im making things up. 

Over the years we saw different players and to be honesty they are great players in their own right but I never respected the way they took all the crap over the years. 

What's nice is we both can be right and don't have to agree ha each their own. 

Cheers. 

1 hour ago, babych said:

Ummm... what the hell does that have to do with anything?

i was pointing out that the NHL players that called them that were rivals that were bitter because the Canucks used to always beat them in the regular season. They couldn't stop them. Also Seguin questioned their sexuality on that Dallas radio show, then basically came out of the closet himself with a series of tweets proving it's always the guy calling other people gay that is. The Sedins were called soft but it was Seguin that attacked their sexuality in a troll interview with a bunch of shock jocks, even though they are not. They have wives and kids. Simple enough for you? Thanks for making me type that out. 

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Timbermen said:

i was pointing out that the NHL players that called them that were rivals that were bitter because the Canucks used to always beat them in the regular season. They couldn't stop them. Also Seguin questioned their sexuality on that Dallas radio show, then basically came out of the closet himself with a series of tweets proving it's always the guy calling other people gay that is. The Sedins were called soft but it was Seguin that attacked their sexuality in a troll interview with a bunch of shock jocks, even though they are not. They have wives and kids. Simple enough for you? Thanks for making me type that out. 

DDF28785-D654-4335-BB87-809FFC8CC4DC.gif

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Maybe if they showed more hate I would have more respect for them.....

ummmm good for you and respect for each other , like sleep with players wives? Or you talking about what happens on the road stays on the road type of respect?

they all share a common love of the game and that's about it. 

You can say what you want but I still think their sisters and that's never going to change. 

Hate/brutality and toughness aren't the same.  If you watched the Sedin's or paid any attention to what they accomplished while taking all the abuse - physical and verbal - throughout their careers without skipping a beat and don't recognize how "tough" they were I can't explain toughness to you. Is this toughness?

Like many elite skilled players they will never be known for their physical game or retribution.  There are too many players to list for comparisons. But very few come close in comparison to them as role models and leaders in the sports world.  My son was lucky enough to have them to idolize as sports stars growing up. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/hidden-strengths-canucks-greats-daniel-henrik-sedin/

Edited by Borvat

2 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Hey I've given fair points on why I think that...

it's not lIke im making things up. 

Over the years we saw different players and to be honesty they are great players in their own right but I never respected the way they took all the crap over the years. 

What's nice is we both can be right and don't have to agree ha each their own. 

Cheers. 

I believe your opinion of respecting them would be in the minority of all fans of hockey

I never liked the abuse the Sedins were getting

But, I found it wasn't because they were scared

They had the leagues most potent power play and they would take the abuse for the team

They were very unselfish players who put the team before themselves IMO and not tmake the abuse about themselves

They always led the team in fitness commitment in assisting them to be the best they could be

You may not have respected them Rowdy, but their teammates did, the opposition did saying how they respected them for playing the game right, ultimate professionals on/off the ice, "tough" to play against, not only fans of the Canucks respected them, but hockey fans

I am certain your opinion of respecting them would be in the minority of all fans of hockey

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Borvat said:

Hate/brutality and toughness aren't the same.  If you watched the Sedin's or paid any attention to what they accomplished while taking all the abuse - physical and verbal - throughout their careers without skipping a beat and don't recognize how "tough" they were I can't explain toughness to you. Is this toughness?

Like many elite skilled players they will never be known for their physical game or retribution.  There are too many players to list for comparisons. But very few come close in comparison to them as role models and leaders in the sports world.  My son was lucky enough to have them to idolize as sports stars growing up. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/hidden-strengths-canucks-greats-daniel-henrik-sedin/

Would it make you feel better is I called them tough but spineless punching bags on the ice.....

look at what the rat did to them.....and who knows maybe if one of them atleast tried to fight the rat , that could have been a spark we needed.....

there's a lot of skill players that once playoffs come around play meaner and the Sedins never had that and I know. 

Is that tough no. I'm talking about letting other players walk all over you on the ice is one of reason why I say what I say

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

I believe your opinion of respecting them would be in the minority of all fans of hockey

I never liked the abuse the Sedins were getting

But, I found it wasn't because they were scared

They had the leagues most potent power play and they would take the abuse for the team

They were very unselfish players who put the team before themselves IMO and not tmake the abuse about themselves

They always led the team in fitness commitment in assisting them to be the best they could be

You may not have respected them Rowdy, but their teammates did, the opposition did saying how they respected them for playing the game right, ultimate professionals on/off the ice, "tough" to play against, not only fans of the Canucks respected them, but hockey fans

I am certain your opinion of respecting them would be in the minority of all fans of hockey

Respected? How many other star players cross that line with them? Heck even patty Kane. 

People resect it cause it's something most players couldn't do , Cause few star players will cross that line cause they want to win at all cost and dont care about the other teams feelings....

38 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Would it make you feel better is I called them tough but spineless punching bags on the ice.....

look at what the rat did to them.....and who knows maybe if one of them atleast tried to fight the rat , that could have been a spark we needed.....

there's a lot of skill players that once playoffs come around play meaner and the Sedins never had that and I know. 

Is that tough no. I'm talking about letting other players walk all over you on the ice is one of reason why I say what I say

Again, I believe Daniel took it for the team, he never squirmed and embellished on the ground to get a call like others may have

We had a lethal powerplay then

It is more of an embarrassment for the lack of officiating  on the world stage, as I believe the refs were waiting for Daniel to respond before sending them both off

In hindsight, knowing how the call was ignored, I am sure Daniel would have loved to get a shot in, but then I don't think the Sedins have regrets, they played the game by their own rules and weren't dirty players and played the best they could without worrying about how others played (which will also take you off your game if you do that)

Oh this thread  is about Jake

Even he wept at their retirement

Edited by ba;;isticsports

23 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Again, I believe Daniel took it for the team, he never squirmed and embellished on the ground to get a call like others may have

We had a lethal powerplay then

It is more of an embarrassment for the lack of officiating  on the world stage, as I believe the refs were waiting for Daniel to respond before sending them both off

In hindsight, knowing how the call was ignored, I am sure Daniel would have loved to get a shot in, but then I don't think the Sedins have regrets, they played the game by their own rules and weren't dirty players and played the best they could without worrying about how others played (which will also take you off your game if you do that)

Oh this thread  is about Jake

Even he wept at their retirement

Okay this is old fashion but I respect guys that stand up for themselves once in awhile like Crosby ( I don't care for him ether but that would be different if he was a Canuck )if they played with his dirtiness I wouldnt say a word but they didn't. 

I was taught at a young age it's okay to take a beating for your team to win but there's a line , most players have it but the Sedins took it anyways. 

Also the whole team was getting bullied by Boston if one of them atleast tried to fight , that could have been the spark we needed to close out the final.... 

Edited by RowdyCanuck
Grammar

2 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I give you an upvote for that alone. I love the Sedins and they are far from Spineless... But man, I would have loved it if Daniel or Hank would have just throttled that little weasel.

I love that EP40 has developed a more physical game. He bowls through people

Edited by 5Fivehole0
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

I give you an upvote for that alone. I love the Sedins and they are far from Spineless... But man, I would have loved it if Daniel or Hank would have just throttled that little weasel.

If it would have happen maybe I wouldn't call them spineless and them bringing a cup back to Van would have shut me up and I wouldn't chirp but they didn't so we saw what a decade got us and thats my view. 

58 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

If it would have happen maybe I wouldn't call them spineless and them bringing a cup back to Van would have shut me up and I wouldn't chirp but they didn't so we saw what a decade got us and thats my view. 

Well, the popcorn gallery is such a nice place to sit, isn't it?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Timbermen said:

It’s still a weirdo thing to say. But I appreciate your explanation ;)

25 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

Coincidentally, Virtanen has 14 points in his last 15 games. Included in this 15 game split are 6 goals and 9 assists, 9 of which were scored at even-strength and 5 on the Power Play. Virtanen is also +3 and had 26 hits in the 15 games.

Over those 15 games is that first line production, especially being a plus player who is physical?  

2 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

Coincidentally, Virtanen has 14 points in his last 15 games. Included in this 15 game split are 6 goals and 9 assists, 9 of which were scored at even-strength and 5 on the Power Play. Virtanen is also +3 and had 26 hits in the 15 games.

I made a post after playing the Capitals a month ago basically saying wow! I jokingly said "did the coach read him the riot act" or something like that because it was the most complete game i have ever seen by him. Offence and Defence was solid by him. Too many games (and seasons) before he would have a great period and then the next he would be lost in his own end trying to figure out where he should be etc. i don't know what has happened that has made a change but i do not notice the glaring mistakes and out of position errors that used to be present in his game. I really hope he progresses more to where he can be a full time linemate of Bo's and be productive. Maybe management won't have to make a deal for a top line winger :)