The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

15 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

I agree and yeah that's totally fine.  Despite what some people believe, I actually want to see this kid succeed and the last few games are a good sign but people always talk about overreaction after a couple preseason games, and here we are, overreacting after a couple preseason games.  

Juolevi looked terrible, let's not be hard on him because it's just a few preseason games....Jake looked good so lets praise him after just a couple of preseason games...?

Virtanen's tools will allow him to be at worst a 4th liner in the NHL and I have always believed that, I think his lack of hockey IQ will hold him back from accomplishing much more than that but I could easily be wrong, it's just an opinion I have and I feel strongly about it.  

At the end of the day I am happy to Jake doing well but for people to be calling me out after two games, one of which was an exhibition game against an expansion team playing their first ever NHL game with a lineup loaded with rookies straight out of junior and/or the AHL or Europe is laughable.  Either way, if Jake ends up being a bottom 6 mucker then it means my prediction was right, if he becomes an impact player then that's great, the Canucks need a big winger with that type of skillset, it's a win-win situation for me but I would much prefer the latter.  

This is what? the third time you have claimed I have said something but you once again cannot back up any of those claims.  Are you a compulsive liar or just delusional?  I really am concerned.

Make up whatever you want, it just looks bad on you when you continuously refuse to back anything up/

Did you guys know that approximately 300 pages back Warhippy said he hates African American people!?   It really did happen I swear

You flat out stated that you couldn't wait for him to flame out or something to that sort so that you could see benning fired and tell everyone your i told you so's

I have better things to do than pore over 900 pages looking for it.  but with the crap you pull and the whining you do it's not a shock to anyone that you'd not only say something of the sort but flat out deny it too.  Far more believable than anything you might fabricate.  The beauty is, it's there if anyone wants to dig.  The best part is, nobody cares enough about you to do it.

Now go stand back in your corner and sulk because he hasn't been terrible this pre-season.  I have better things to do than humour you troll

Edited by Warhippy
  • Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

I agree and yeah that's totally fine.  Despite what some people believe, I actually want to see this kid succeed and the last few games are a good sign but people always talk about overreaction after a couple preseason games, and here we are, overreacting after a couple preseason games.  

Juolevi looked terrible, let's not be hard on him because it's just a few preseason games....Jake looked good so lets praise him after just a couple of preseason games...?

Virtanen's tools will allow him to be at worst a 4th liner in the NHL and I have always believed that, I think his lack of hockey IQ will hold him back from accomplishing much more than that but I could easily be wrong, it's just an opinion I have and I feel strongly about it.  

At the end of the day I am happy to Jake doing well but for people to be calling me out after two games, one of which was an exhibition game against an expansion team playing their first ever NHL game with a lineup loaded with rookies straight out of junior and/or the AHL or Europe is laughable.  Either way, if Jake ends up being a bottom 6 mucker then it means my prediction was right, if he becomes an impact player then that's great, the Canucks need a big winger with that type of skillset, it's a win-win situation for me but I would much prefer the latter.  

This is what? the third time you have claimed I have said something but you once again cannot back up any of those claims.  Are you a compulsive liar or just delusional?  I really am concerned.

Make up whatever you want, it just looks bad on you when you continuously refuse to back anything up/

Did you guys know that approximately 300 pages back Warhippy said he hates African American people!?   It really did happen I swear

I'm almost happy about Juolevi not showing well yet. There's a very cerebral part of his game that will simply improve over time, and him not showing well won't force the issue of him making the squad yet. While it was a long shot at best anyways, I'd prefer him to stay in the minors or head to Europe for at least another year or two before turning into a NA pro. There's really no rush. 

5 hours ago, Toews said:

Personally if he makes the team and proves himself better than the competition, then he deserves to be in the NHL. Maybe it's just me but I feel like if he earns his way there then he should be there. If he does all that and its clear he has worked his tail off in the offseason then I can see it being potentially damaging to his psyche to continue holding him back. He will be waiver eligible next year so it will be especially nice if he can grab a foothold in the NHL and continue building upwards. There are a few guys who started out on the 4th line and continue to move upwards. IMO let him reap the rewards if has put in the work to meet those standards.

We don't need another Kassian, Tryamkin situation. 

Btw, this is the first time I've EVER agreed with anything you've said. 

17 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Like I said earlier, Jake (for the first time) is at a proper playing weight and fit.  His much impressive play now is due to these two new things.  His hockey Q will be improved too, because he will not be fighting fatigue.  

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Warhippy said:

The league is literally littered with dozens of players drafted top 10 that never progressed past 3rd or 4th line players, and even more top 10 picks that never even made the league full time.

Jake will or won't and that's on him now

I agree with what you're saying hippy, but for some reason, esp if he's earning it, Id rather see him develop in the NHL under Mike Green. He is prob the best mentor for Jake rn. 

59 minutes ago, Kungfudru said:

I agree with what you're saying hippy, but for some reason, esp if he's earning it, Id rather see him develop in the NHL under Mike Green. He is prob the best mentor for Jake rn. 

When did we hire old Mike. 

• Upvote 1

On ‎18‎.‎09‎.‎2017 at 7:17 AM, The 5th Line said:

If this is in fact the new Jake Virtanen he is still just a 4th liner at best on what is likely to be a bottom feeding team.  He's in his draft +4 and he is playing okay in preseason, he's not dominating, he's not lighting it up, he is pretty much right where I thought he would be in terms of development. 

People calling posters out because the thread is quiet when he plays well?  He's a 6th overall pick he is expected to play well...in preseason...in his draft +4.... 

Is Jake in his draft +4 year?

Rush him.. we've the best experience to rush player and haven't enough patience on their progression.. Cam Neely is the best example. No more words needed. :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Boeser has been making the pretty plays but Jake has been swinging the hammer in the trenches so far this pre season.  You can see why he's a posession beast when he's on his game with the relentless physicality and back checking/take aways.

You'd have to be willfully ignorant not to acknowledge the logical progression from his last year to this pre season.  Last year was an attitude/fitness anomaly.  He's rectified that and it's coming together.  

Now, I'd still like to see him log some prime ice in the AHL this year but it's no surprise to see him having a strong camp and a giving himself a chance to crack the big club.

He still had the speed last year to get him to the open ice and do his chip and chase move off the boards, but he could only go for 30 seconds max. It's clear to me that he was doing too much power lifting and changed his body too much with slow twitch muscle. Now that he's training quick twitch muscle and endurance, he's looking like an NHL caliber player. It likely took him a whole year of proper diet and training to get himself into NHL game shape. It's a damn shame that the team isn't allowed to train the players directly in the off-season. Showing up to the gym 5 days a week doesn't mean jack if you're doing the wrong type of training.

12 hours ago, Kungfudru said:

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't Baumgartner the new coach in utica?  Wasn't he there over the last 2 seasons or so?

Something tells me he'll do just fine with that in utica if he goes there

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't Baumgartner the new coach in utica?  Wasn't he there over the last 2 seasons or so?

Sorry hippy I messed up. I meant Travis Green. Yes it can't hurt for him to spend some time there, but he seems like he's fairing well so far this preseason and if Jake deserves to be in the NHL he should continue his development there imo. I know it's only been a couple of games but It seems like he put in a lot of hard work this summer and wants to do everything necessary to succeed as a professional hockey player at the highest level. He's matured a bit more and he knows what it takes now after being sent down last year. I believe Travis Green has much to do with him changing and developing in a good way. Maybe staying up with the big club and having Travis Green and the Sedins mentoring him is the best thing for him as long as he continues to improve of course. If not then he should go back to the AHL until he's ready. 

2 minutes ago, Kungfudru said:

Sorry hippy I messed up. I meant Travis Green. Yes it can't hurt for him to spend some time there, but he seems like he's fairing well so far this preseason and if Jake deserves to be in the NHL he should continue his development there imo. I know it's only been a couple of games but It seems like he put in a lot of hard work this summer and wants to do everything necessary to succeed as a professional hockey player at the highest level. He's matured a bit more and he knows what it takes now after being sent down last year. I believe Travis Green has much to do with him changing and developing in a good way. Maybe staying up with the big club and having Travis Green and the Sedins mentoring him is the best thing for him as long as he continues to improve of course. If not then he should go back to the AHL until he's ready. 

I have no arguments against any of that.  He does look hungry and in shape.  But; he will benefit from 1 mroe year in the minors learning the game in the top 6 and learning to win.  We've little room up here as is.  With Rodin etc here we've no need to bring him up as of now.

Send him down to succeed don't bring him up to the tire fire where "the homegrown kid couldn't get it done" on a failing team

9 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'll admit that Jake has looked good so far, and unlike a lot of our other prospects, he's somebody that could conceivably be an effective 4th liner, which opens up his chances to make the big club.

I thought he was close to busting just a few months ago. Glad to see he's proving me wrong.

I haven't been high on Virtanen since we drafted him.  But one thing I always knew is that with his skillset and size that he would be an NHL player soon enough in some capacity.  While 4th line minutes are not ideal for development, it doesn't mean a player can't work their way up the roster if and when it is warranted.  Ie: Burrows.  

I still maintain, however, that Virtanen is not the player we were hoping he would be; he's probably a solid 3rd liner at best as opposed to the 1st/2nd line Lucic-type player we were dreaming of having.  And similar to what you said, I hope he proves ME wrong.

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Trent Cull is the new coach in Utica. Baumer is an associate coach in Van (defense) under Green.