The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

On 2018-08-27 at 10:59 AM, Kanukfanatic said:

This seems to be why it would be a good idea to try him on left wing with Bo and Boeser. Along with his speed and voracious fore check.

Our team has been dreadful entering to O zone. So many terrible power plays turned around at the blue line.. I say give Jake the shot this year with the top line and PP! 

• Like 1

In junior, Jake's hi-lite reel was often scoring off the left wing. Many have suggested that he should line up on the left, but neither of his NHL coaches has done this. It probably has way more to do with exiting the d-zone than entering the o-zone.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SingleThorn said:

In junior, Jake's hi-lite reel was often scoring off the left wing. Many have suggested that he should line up on the left, but neither of his NHL coaches has done this. It probably has way more to do with exiting the d-zone than entering the o-zone.

He was mostly playing RW in juniors.  The Hitmen list the positions when they give the opening lineups.  Someone on HF also compiled all the opening lines in his draft+1 - he was announced as playing RW save for 1 game.

• Thanks 1

Just now, mll said:

He was mostly playing RW in juniors.  The Hitmen list the positions when they give the opening lineups.  Someone on HF also compiled all the opening lines in his draft+1 - he was announced as playing RW save for 1 game.

Thanks for that info, I never saw Jake play for the Hitmen, but got the impression that he scored off the left wing. Many have put it forward as an option. Not too sure why now.

On 2018-08-27 at 10:59 AM, Kanukfanatic said:

This seems to be why it would be a good idea to try him on left wing with Bo and Boeser. Along with his speed and voracious fore check.

That line needs a play maker. That's not Jake.

But I could see him paired with Horvat when Boeser eventually gets paired with Pettersson down the line...

Eventuall something like:

Baer/Leip/Goldobin/Eriksson, Pettersson, Boeser

Goldobin/Dahlen/Leip/Eriksson, Horvat, Virtanen

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

Thanks for that info, I never saw Jake play for the Hitmen, but got the impression that he scored off the left wing. Many have put it forward as an option. Not too sure why now.

Green says he's a natural RW.  Benning also thinks of him as a RW.  He justified trading Kassian to open up a spot at RW for Virtanen because Prust is LW.  

I think Jake will have a breakout year. Last year, after Dorsett ended his career, Virtanen was basically the one gritty player with size left. I think there was a lot of pressure on him. Bringing in Beagle, Roussel and Schaller will take the load off and Jake can concentrate on scoring goals/producing. I've heard he's worked on his stick handling, playmaking etc. over the off season. I think he comes back a different (better) player, and having the likes of Beagle as a mentor will only be great for him.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

It seems like Jake has had a summer of working hard on getting better.  there haven;t been any reports of him on a big holiday like others on the team.  Other than a supposed report of him on a boat one weekend at Cultis Lake, he has been under the radar.  I too am looking forward to a big year for him. :)

32 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Does Schaller and Roussel have speed as well? I haven't watched any video on them yet. Them, along with Virtanen, could make the Canucks very hard to play against.

Roussel for sure is a fast skater. His speed makes him an excellent PKer and might complement Virtanen.

On 2018-08-29 at 9:32 AM, SingleThorn said:

I wonder if some of his goals are a result of driving the play around the net ending up on the off wing and scoring after a return pass ? 

On 8/29/2018 at 1:06 PM, NUCKER67 said:

Does Schaller and Roussel have speed as well? I haven't watched any video on them yet. Them, along with Virtanen, could make the Canucks very hard to play against.

Roussel definitely has the wheels and noticing that Schaller had 3 SH goals last year leads me to think he does as well. You have a point about that being a possible and interesting option for Greener to use at times during the season.

On 29/08/2018 at 12:06 PM, NUCKER67 said:

Yep and they're both physical players.

Great to see that Jake was part of CAN's Fishing For Kids event this year. He's changed so much since he joined the main team almost three years ago. He's definitely maturing in so many ways, which I think will certainly help his on-ice game a bit too.

10 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen

Goldobin-Gaudette-Virtanen

Leipsic-Gaudette-Virtanen

I don't mind that kind of burying at all.

You're making a huge assumption with Gaudette there.. Where did Sutter go? 

The 3rd line is Sutters and he takes D zone starts.. Are you being willfully obtuse?

Edited by Western Red