The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

7 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Jake on the left wing with Petey and Boeser  has already been done, tried and didn't work though.

Jake has done everything from losing a ton of weight to hiring a puck handling/skills coach in the summer and the results have always been about the same. What else can he do?

At this point I think the thought of him being a top 6 is almost out the window. Just let him be that 3rd line forward and have anything else be a bonus. If he was drafted in the 2nd round like someone was suggesting, there would be no problem with his development 

for how long? a few shifts? 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Ok cool I look forward to him scoring 25 next season on that line. 

Honestly, he could probably hit 20.

Thats still a long way from good 1st line production, but if he could give the other two some space and ability to create while they bounce in shots off his a$$, I’ll take it!

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

that Green is impatient? 

Didn’t we have a problem with how he was coached in Calgary in the WHL as well? And with both world junior team coaches for the two years? And with Willie? Travis too? 

At what point is it not a coaching problem, and rather he is what he is?

Edited by Zhukini

1 hour ago, Zhukini said:

Didn’t we have a problem with how he was coached in Calgary in the WHL as well? And with both world junior team coaches for the two years? And with Willie? Travis too? 

At what point is it not a coaching problem, and rather he is what he is?

When he gets a coach thinking european. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think there's a tendency today with coaches and fans to want to rush players. Jake is on a more typical curve and has been improving every year in all aspects of his game. 

I don't think Green is particularly patient when it comes to full line chemistry, no. He seems to like the idea of line pairings (which I'm basing off an interview of his, he mentioned liking pairs of players), two guys left to gel with the 3rd spot open for him to make changes on the fly. Thats not a great position to be in for a young player imo, it forces them to have instant chemistry while the other two get time to gel. At least thats how I see Green. And he's had some success with that model, but its not going to be ideal for everyones development. I'd much rather he just leave Jake-EP-Bo and Pearson-Bo-Loui together for a few weeks and let them develop two solid lines with a bit of time to learn off each other. Its not going to happen in 3 shifts. 

Willie was just an bad coach. 

Could not agree more.  Jake just needs to play a simple game with Petey and Boes.  Forecheck hard, get the puck, pass it off, go to the front of the net, get open for the occasional shot.   He has all the tools to be successful at it, just needs to have it ingrained in him until it's second nature.  The amount of time it takes for that to happen is different for everyone.

Green does need to give lines some time to gain chemistry and actually stick with them.  Goldobin - Petterson - Ericsson was a great line to start the season and we rarely saw it afterwards.

Short of signing another forward and Baertschi being healthy to start the season, your proposed top 6 is what I would like to see for a few games. 

• Cheers 1

On 5/14/2019 at 3:15 PM, Petey Castiglione said:

Could not agree more.  Jake just needs to play a simple game with Petey and Boes.  Forecheck hard, get the puck, pass it off, go to the front of the net, get open for the occasional shot.   He has all the tools to be successful at it, just needs to have it ingrained in him until it's second nature.  The amount of time it takes for that to happen is different for everyone.

Green does need to give lines some time to gain chemistry and actually stick with them.  Goldobin - Petterson - Ericsson was a great line to start the season and we rarely saw it afterwards.

Short of signing another forward and Baertschi being healthy to start the season, your proposed top 6 is what I would like to see for a few games. 

Virt's one I can see going the way of Eaves: blue collar player who can do the dirty work of whatever line he's on. If he can follow that, can you imagine how much in demand he'd be?

On 5/14/2019 at 1:15 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

I think there's a tendency today with coaches and fans to want to rush players. Jake is on a more typical curve and has been improving every year in all aspects of his game. 

I don't think Green is particularly patient when it comes to full line chemistry, no. He seems to like the idea of line pairings (which I'm basing off an interview of his, he mentioned liking pairs of players), two guys left to gel with the 3rd spot open for him to make changes on the fly. Thats not a great position to be in for a young player imo, it forces them to have instant chemistry while the other two get time to gel. At least thats how I see Green. And he's had some success with that model, but its not going to be ideal for everyones development. I'd much rather he just leave Jake-EP-Bo and Pearson-Bo-Loui together for a few weeks and let them develop two solid lines with a bit of time to learn off each other. Its not going to happen in 3 shifts. 

AV changed a lot of lines though too. I remember so many people being frustrated with AV line shuffling like he's in a dance club. lol

20 minutes ago, The Lock said:

AV changed a lot of lines though too. I remember so many people being frustrated with AV line shuffling like he's in a dance club. lol

Yeah but at least it made sense sometimes. I don't think i'll ever forget "1st line Megna" 

On 5/18/2019 at 11:03 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

Yeah but at least it made sense sometimes. I don't think i'll ever forget "1st line Megna" 

I think a lot of that you can chalk up to 'lack of options'.

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 1:15 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

for coaches? 

:lol: that too.

But really, that roster was :sick: after injuries. Twins needed someone with speed/puck retrieval/board play etc, WD also needed to attempt to fashion something resembling two scoring lines/spread offensive players around... it was not an enviable task.

43 minutes ago, aGENT said:

:lol: that too.

But really, that roster was :sick: after injuries. Twins needed someone with speed/puck retrieval/board play etc, WD also needed to attempt to fashion something resembling two scoring lines/spread offensive players around... it was not an enviable task.

oh well at least we didn't have to witness 4th line Kovalchuk, thats gotta hurt more.