The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

16 minutes ago, stawns said:

of course he can do more, name a player on the Canucks who can't?  People need to stop projecting what they want Jake to be and just enjoy what he's becoming.  He's not going to go out there and hit everything that moves and it's not fair to critisize him for not doing that, it's obviously not his game.  He's a legit top 6 winger, imo, and his number when he gets the chance back that up...........but for whatever reason Green uses him as a whipping boy, demoting him ahead of player who are playing much worse than Virtanen is.

He clearly don't have the vision to drive the offense, thus he needs to change his game to be successful in the NHL.  Shooting off the rush isn't good enough in the NHL, you gotta drive the net for tips and rebounds.

EP is half is size and he is constantly buzzing around the net.  JV will more often than not just do a glide by.  

Virtanen's projection is what's keeping him in the lineup.  If he wasn't draft #6 and wasn't blessed with his physical tools, he'd be riding the buses down in Utica.  Baertschi might be sent down because his body can't hold up in the NHL, Roussel will only be a bottom-6 due to his lack of hands, and Motte won't ever be more than a energy guy because of his size.... but one thing they have in common is that no one ever doubt their compete level.  

If Virtanen played with the same tenacity of Motte, no one would ever complain about him.  If he really do aim for 7 hits/shots per night... just by stats/probability, he would be at least a 25+ goal scorer with a rep of being one of the top hitters in the NHL.  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Lancaster said:

He can do more.  

As what Bertuzzi mentioned, he just needs to focus on getting 7 hits and 7 shots per game. 

The Canucks don't need him to be making passes to another player within their own zone, they don't need him to make trying to make cute little plays in the neutral zone.  

He is such a fast player, he should be going all Jannick Hansen on defensemen.  JV is also such a big and strong player, he should be crashing and banging the net.  

Virtanen's play isn't hurting the team, but he can be so much more.  He needs to stop thinking he's the next Bertuzzi or OV... but realize that he needs to be more like Wilson, Torres or Holmstrom.  Defenseman should be thinking, "Gotta keep my head up, Virtanen is on the ice".  

He should change his number to 77

On November 25, 2019 at 1:40 PM, Lancaster said:

He can do more.  

As what Bertuzzi mentioned, he just needs to focus on getting 7 hits and 7 shots per game. 

The Canucks don't need him to be making passes to another player within their own zone, they don't need him to make trying to make cute little plays in the neutral zone.  

He is such a fast player, he should be going all Jannick Hansen on defensemen.  JV is also such a big and strong player, he should be crashing and banging the net.  

Virtanen's play isn't hurting the team, but he can be so much more.  He needs to stop thinking he's the next Bertuzzi or OV... but realize that he needs to be more like Wilson, Torres or Holmstrom.  Defenseman should be thinking, "Gotta keep my head up, Virtanen is on the ice".  

But has Jake been put in a position to do that?7x7? 

Also for jake to have the freedom to do that , he would have to get a longer leash from Green. 

I think if jake got treated likr Pearson or Levio , we could see what Jake could do. 

Edited by RowdyCanuck
Stoned mistake
  • Upvote 2

sick of this guy's indifferent play

and waive ericksson- it makes me sick that he is on the roster

beartschi has not made much of what could be his last chance in the league

Roussel, Sutter and Beagle cannot come back fast enough, this team lacks grit and ballz

If Ferland could come back and make a physical or emotional impact, that could be huge

Edited by Canucks Curse
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Also for jake to have the freedom to do that , he would have to get a longer leash from Green. 

I think if jake got treated like goldy did or Pearson or Levio , we could see what Jake could do. 

Motte generally have more hits than JV with less ice time.  

All Virtanen needs to do is finish his check every second shift.  Not those love taps, but actual throwing his size/weight around.  

As of now, he's pretty much just a faster Taylor Pyatt.  

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Motte generally have more hits than JV with less ice time.  

All Virtanen needs to do is finish his check every second shift.  Not those love taps, but actual throwing his size/weight around.  

As of now, he's pretty much just a faster Taylor Pyatt.  

I agree the fly byes drive me crazy or a chance to make a monster hit but he plays the puck...

I think for Jake to get those 7 hits a game then he should make playing the puck his second option , also I've said this before but he plays good with bo, green just doesn't leave him there long enough and if you look at those two guys we could have a good matchup line.....like AV used kesler.

jake isn't a leader when it comes to the rough stuff , that's where if Jim could find a pack leader like reeves or another heavyweight  and this team would be a nastier team and I think that's one thing this team is missing...

but like I said Jake isn't going to get 7x7 when his to scared to play his game to the fullest or make the smallest mistake. 

26 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I agree the fly byes drive me crazy or a chance to make a monster hit but he plays the puck...

I think for Jake to get those 7 hits a game then he should make playing the puck his second option , also I've said this before but he plays good with bo, green just doesn't leave him there long enough and if you look at those two guys we could have a good matchup line.....like AV used kesler.

jake isn't a leader when it comes to the rough stuff , that's where if Jim could find a pack leader like reeves or another heavyweight  and this team would be a nastier team and I think that's one thing this team is missing...

but like I said Jake isn't going to get 7x7 when his to scared to play his game to the fullest or make the smallest mistake. 

But as you said..he plays the puck instead of making the monster hit. The reason is already mentioned by you. He is scared to make the smallest mistake because if he does, he will be stapled to the bench. In his first couple of years, he kept on going for hit first but ends up having the puck get past him (although he staples the guy) and then he is out of position. And also, how can he have 7 hits 7 shots when he only plays 9 minutes..come on. And also, there are some games (especially away games) where even the broadcasters said he blocked a shot or took away the puck but in the stats, its still zero. Weird also.

• Upvote 1

I really wish bert had never said that whole 7x7 comment as it’s totally unrealistic. No player in the league is averaging 7 hits per game and I think the average is somewhere around 2. Jake plays around 10 min per game so 7x7 is ridiculous to expect. While I will admit there’s lots of room for improvement in jakes game it seems he very rarely gets rewarded for strong efforts and quite often gets demoted or benched when he makes a mistake. I’m not sure he’ll ever make it out of greens doghouse.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Nancouver said:

I really wish bert had never said that whole 7x7 comment as it’s totally unrealistic. No player in the league is averaging 7 hits per game and I think the average is somewhere around 2. Jake plays around 10 min per game so 7x7 is ridiculous to expect. While I will admit there’s lots of room for improvement in jakes game it seems he very rarely gets rewarded for strong efforts and quite often gets demoted or benched when he makes a mistake. I’m not sure he’ll ever make it out of greens doghouse.

I’d be wondering what Jake’s off ice habits are like?  Is he eating and resting properly, so he’s at his best?  To me Jake can looked tired after 15 seconds on a shift.  

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I’d be wondering what Jake’s off ice habits are like?  Is he eating and resting properly, so he’s at his best?  To me Jake can looked tired after 15 seconds on a shift.  

Obviously there were concerns about his conditioning when he showed up to camp this year so you could very well have a point. Having said that I haven’t noticed him being short of breath often. If you ask me the team has mis managed him and his development. Blows my mind how he’s never used on any special teams, o.t., shootout etc.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Nancouver said:

Obviously there were concerns about his conditioning when he showed up to camp this year so you could very well have a point. Having said that I haven’t noticed him being short of breath often. If you ask me the team has mis managed him and his development. Blows my mind how he’s never used on any special teams, o.t., shootout etc.

I wonder if Jake realizes he needs to work as hard (if not harder) off the ice, than he does on the ice to be at his best?  I keep hoping with Jake it’s just his commitment to off ice habits that is holding him back.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I wonder if Jake realizes he needs to work as hard (if not harder) off the ice, than he does on the ice to be at his best?  I keep hoping with Jake it’s just his commitment to off ice habits that is holding him back.  

This could very well be the problem which obviously as fans we can only speculate. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he were traded and really figures it out with another team.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Law of Goalies said:

But as you said..he plays the puck instead of making the monster hit. The reason is already mentioned by you. He is scared to make the smallest mistake because if he does, he will be stapled to the bench. In his first couple of years, he kept on going for hit first but ends up having the puck get past him (although he staples the guy) and then he is out of position. And also, how can he have 7 hits 7 shots when he only plays 9 minutes..come on. And also, there are some games (especially away games) where even the broadcasters said he blocked a shot or took away the puck but in the stats, its still zero. Weird also.

I do remember years ago hearing Ferraro that one of the worse thing you can do is do a fly-by without impeding the other player.  No matter how quick you are, you will always be behind the guy going the other way.  

If you check the player, regardless of where the puck will be, the guy making that pass won't be part of that play anymore.  

16 minutes ago, Nancouver said:

No one is expecting him to actually go do 7x7... just he should be aiming to do 7x7.  

Instead, we have him playing soft and attempting to dangle with the puck when he should be chipping the puck in and hounding the defenseman to lay a hit or to force a turnover.  

Does that help create offense?  Probably no... but it gets into the oppositions' mind.  Throughout the course of the game, maybe a split second of hesitation or poor decision making by the defenseman, perhaps due to having smashed by JV the whole game... that may cause a turnover which may lead to a scoring chance. 

Aside from a couple games, JV has been one of our better forwards at even strength lately. I don't blame him for playing disinterested right now. He looks bored and disheartened. I would too, seeing useless players like Pearson/Leivo constantly playing in the top six. Green should stop trying to do his best Scotty Bowman impression and just let the guy play without the fear of getting benched and/or demoted. Give JV a solid 40 games in the top six and evaluate from there. This tough-love type of coaching isn't working and is going to probably ruin the guy and end with him being traded. We need players like JV. Homegrown, fast, physical. You don't think as a kid he had dreams of scoring the overtime goal of a game 7 playoff series? Just let him play. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

I do remember years ago hearing Ferraro that one of the worse thing you can do is do a fly-by without impeding the other player.  No matter how quick you are, you will always be behind the guy going the other way.  

If you check the player, regardless of where the puck will be, the guy making that pass won't be part of that play anymore.  

No one is expecting him to actually go do 7x7... just he should be aiming to do 7x7.  

Instead, we have him playing soft and attempting to dangle with the puck when he should be chipping the puck in and hounding the defenseman to lay a hit or to force a turnover.  

Does that help create offense?  Probably no... but it gets into the oppositions' mind.  Throughout the course of the game, maybe a split second of hesitation or poor decision making by the defenseman, perhaps due to having smashed by JV the whole game... that may cause a turnover which may lead to a scoring chance. 

I would love to see him smashing guys in the corner regularly but judging how the team plays on a whole I’m going to guess green doesn’t exactly coach an overly physical style of game. Like some other posters have mentioned it seems like jake might be nervous to make a big hit which puts him out of position and he ends up stapled to the bench yet again.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I think if jake got treated like goldy did or Pearson or Levio , we could see what Jake could do. 

Uhh....goldy was sent to Utica.  Pearson and Leivo I agree with.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1