The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

55 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Horvat does play a lot more minutes and against tougher opponents while coming on for defensive faceoffs too, so I don't think that is comparing apples to apples?

The Trolls come out when it’s dark.  We all know No is great!  

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

If only it were the case. Team doesn't seem to want to use him in any special team scenario or OT. Sad to see. That speed in OT? Game over in the best way. 

Green seems to shoot himself in the foot sometimes. Common sense stuff.

Maybe team protocol trumps common sense decisions. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I agree, yeah I’m no coach but some of his decisions seem counterintuitive. Gave Goldy over half a season in the top 6, Jake can’t even get half a month. No special teams time, shackled to the bench in OT despite being our fastest skater. Maybe I just have rose coloured glasses. I dunno anymore. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

I agree, yeah I’m no coach but some of his decisions seem counterintuitive. Gave Goldy over half a season in the top 6, Jake can’t even get half a month. No special teams time, shackled to the bench in OT despite being our fastest skater. Maybe I just have rose coloured glasses. I dunno anymore. 

Exactly.

Counterintuitive means what again?

:lol:

Not trying to sound off the wall but his decisions remind me sort of like WD style.

• Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Exactly.

Counterintuitive means what again?

:lol:

Not trying to sound off the wall but his decisions remind me sort of like WD style.

Counter intuitive - contrary to intuition or to common-sense expectation. Not sure if you were being serious but the definition just in case. Lol. I agree with the WD point. Just so happens Green has a much better team so we don't roast him as hard. No Megna's and Chaput's for Greener to overplay.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

On 11/16/2019 at 5:14 PM, Hairy Kneel said:

I'd want to know what the logic and rationale goes behind the decisions made by Green sometimes. 

Jake should be out there in OT, his speed alone, would give the Canucks so much opportunity to win. And that's what the franchise is about, no? Winning games? 

• Cheers 2

40 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I'd want to know what the logic and rationale goes behind the decisions made by Green sometimes. 

Jake should be out there in OT, his speed alone, would give the Canucks so much opportunity to win. And that's what the franchise is about, no? Winning games? 

I have a strong feeling that it's Jake's hockey sense, or his ability to keep himself from taking shots and turning over pucks in the offensive zone, that keeps Green from playing him in OT.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Or even in OT. He could skate circles around after he retrieved the puck. He'd set it up great for our snipers. Plus he's usually fresher than our vets after playing only 10 minutes or so.

• Upvote 1

Lots commenting on Jake in OT

Maybe they have practised it and he sucked and was not good at it?

Even ones trusting in Benning and Green knowing what they are doing

There must be a reason why neither have pushed it

I can see if when THEY feel he is ready (after seeing in practices perhaps) and maybe he does well, these people will be saying, see I told you :)

• Upvote 1

I get why everyone thinks Jake would be great in OT. He's got wheels so you think he'd excel, but he also is prone to making some really bad decisions with the puck, and those decisions can hurt you a lot more quickly playing 3-on-3. I think that's probably why they don't trust him in OT. 

• Upvote 1

I do not get why TG is so much harder on Jake than everyone else.  The kid is on pace for 20-25 goals, yet new guys get ice time that he should get.  He's got a very versatile tool box, start utilizing his skill set or trade him so he can grow.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, stawns said:

I do not get why TG is so much harder on Jake than everyone else.  The kid is on pace for 20-25 goals, yet new guys get ice time that he should get.  He's got a very versatile tool box, start utilizing his skill set or trade him so he can grow.

There's a new twist... blame the coach! lol

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1