The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

2 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

The fact is, he doesn't actually need to continue to improve any further to get to second line level.

Keeping in mind that there are 31 NHL teams, times 3 positions per line, meaning that there are 93 first line positions, another 93 second line positions, etc:

Jakes current goal production (12) has him tied for 78th among NHL forwards, while his projected goal production (25) would have placed him tied for 72nd last season. This is already low 1st line level.

Jakes current point production (23) has him tied for 120th among NHL forwards, while his projected point production (47) would have placed him tied for 108th last season. This is high second line level.

And of course, just looking at his stats ignores the facts that he is faster, more physical and more defensively responsible than average. IMO, stating that he needs to continue to improve every year to eventually become second line level, when, by any reasonable measure he is already there, is unrealistic.

Oh Oh , are you Jakes agent and going to be asking for $5+ m now :)

Curious as to what you think he will make  after this year, has he proven enough to you on a contract year for a huge raise?

We are capped and who knows what the sweeteners will be  to keep Markstrom, EP, Hughes etc in line for raises

Jake and his contract, may be one of the few assets we have that others would want, after giving away our 1st pick, I don't think we will be doing that again for awhile again

1 hour ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Oh Oh , are you Jakes agent and going to be asking for $5+ m now :)

Curious as to what you think he will make  after this year, has he proven enough to you on a contract year for a huge raise?

We are capped and who knows what the sweeteners will be  to keep Markstrom, EP, Hughes etc in line for raises

Jake and his contract, may be one of the few assets we have that others would want, after giving away our 1st pick, I don't think we will be doing that again for awhile again

I've been thinking about this too. It really depends on how he finishes. I do think he'll be going for a full deal and not a bridge. If he does score 47 points like he's projected to, I'm guessing he gets a 2-4 year deal at probably $3.5M to $4.5M depending on length--the longer, the more expensive. That said, if he slows down (as most players do as the season lags on) and drops to maybe 35 or 40 points, we're probably looking more at $2.5-$3.5M.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I've been thinking about this too. It really depends on how he finishes. I do think he'll be going for a full deal and not a bridge. If he does score 47 points like he's projected to, I'm guessing he gets a 2-4 year deal at probably $3.5M to $4.5M depending on length--the longer, the more expensive. That said, if he slows down (as most players do as the season lags on) and drops to maybe 35 or 40 points, we're probably looking more at $2.5-$3.5M.

What would be really interesting would be if he continued to improve over the course of the season, and then becomes the playoff beast he was drafted to be, pulling a Linden and cranking up the pace in the playoffs. His contract could be very challenging then.

Edit: Is it still possible to check someone right through the glass like Trevor did?

Edited by WeneedLumme
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

What would be really interesting would be if he continued to improve over the course of the season, and then becomes the playoff beast he was drafted to be, pulling a Linden and cranking up the pace in the playoffs. His contract could be very challenging then.

Edit: Is it still possible to check someone right through the glass like Trevor did?

Yes it is, boy what a classic memory of Trevor!! Who was it do you remember?

6 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Feel like the one thing we do got going for cap reasoning is the fact that (completely just my opinion here) he’s a home town boy and wants to be part of this dynasty Potential team and knows he’s only part of it if he takes a team friendly deal 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, LegionOfDoom said:

Feel like the one thing we do got going for cap reasoning is the fact that (completely just my opinion here) he’s a home town boy and wants to be part of this dynasty Potential team and knows he’s only part of it if he takes a team friendly deal 

It was really interesting listening to Kes and Juice talk on their podcast about how much pressure there is from agents and especially the NHLPA not to take discounts. Apparently one of them (Kesler maybe?) mentioned a home town discount in an interview once and got a call from the NHLPA saying not to talk about that to the media. Explains why discounts are more rare than you'd think they'd be.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

It was really interesting listening to Kes and Juice talk on their podcast about how much pressure there is from agents and especially the NHLPA not to take discounts. Apparently one of them (Kesler maybe?) mentioned a home town discount in an interview once and got a call from the NHLPA saying not to talk about that to the media. Explains why discounts are more rare than you'd think they'd be.

Yah I heard that podcast and it totally makes sense and it’s one thing to come out and say it but virtanen leaving 10-20% is not the same as Mackinnon leaving 10-20% there won’t be eye brows raised on a guy that had a second half breakout in his what 5th? NHL season... it’s just a player being smart about not throwing the nhlpa under the bus. Again tho it’s just my thoughts I have no idea what Jake wants it’s more just me having high hopes he’s part of our core on a cap friendly contract haha 

1 minute ago, LegionOfDoom said:

Yah I heard that podcast and it totally makes sense and it’s one thing to come out and say it but virtanen leaving 10-20% is not the same as Mackinnon leaving 10-20% there won’t be eye brows raised on a guy that had a second half breakout in his what 5th? NHL season... it’s just a player being smart about not throwing the nhlpa under the bus. Again tho it’s just my thoughts I have no idea what Jake wants it’s more just me having high hopes he’s part of our core on a cap friendly contract haha 

It'd be amazing and I'd be thrilled if it happens. I suppose because the NHLPA is so pissy about it, it'd be smarter not to say anything and just take less money and let people create whatever narratives they will out of that.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Great.  So the NHLPA is run like some kinda cheesy Italian run mob union.  Good god...

Edit: although look at what Labanc did last summer. He signed for 1 year at 1 million when a team would have given him 5 years at 4 million +.  

Edited by Kanukfanatic

Virtanen has surprised me with his dekes. Upon getting the puck, he often flashes some pretty good handles and then cycles it.

He's developing into a more east-west player, whereas he was purely north-south before.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

Virtanen has surprised me with his dekes. Upon getting the puck, he often flashes some pretty good handles and then cycles it.

He's developing into a more east-west player, whereas he was purely north-south before.

Came a long way from training camp. Credit to Travis Green for the tough love and development 

19 hours ago, -AJ- said:

The thing I think Virtanen has improved on most is actually his hockey IQ. It seems to me his decision-making is much improved, so his passes are much more well-advised and he makes his decisions quicker too. Pretty incredible considering most people say that's one thing you can't teach. Maybe he just learned it over the recent years?

Same thing was said of Duclair.  There are certainly some that can never fully process the game at NHL speed, but would seem it's just a false narrative in some cases.

On 1/4/2020 at 2:22 PM, Gaudette Celly said:

Same thing was said of Duclair.  There are certainly some that can never fully process the game at NHL speed, but would seem it's just a false narrative in some cases.

He must have had some sort of mystical experience amidst all the partying and tapped into deeper understanding. It can happen.

Do my eyes deceive me?  I can't follow all of the Canucks games from my time zone, but I do have a lot of the players in various fantasy pools, and in an update I saw a blurb about Jake saying that, as of today, he was practicing with Miller and EP.  Is this true?  The way he is playing, this could be a great thing!    

4 hours ago, Hockey God said:

Do my eyes deceive me?  I can't follow all of the Canucks games from my time zone, but I do have a lot of the players in various fantasy pools, and in an update I saw a blurb about Jake saying that, as of today, he was practicing with Miller and EP.  Is this true?  The way he is playing, this could be a great thing!    

https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/bumping-brock-boeser-off-the-first-power-play-unit-for-adam-gaudette-might-be-the-right-move-1.24048890

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1