The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I don't think he will make the team. First, Benning has zero room for him and if he did make room he will end up getting fleeced in another trade. Second, Virtanen still doesn't know how to use his line-mates well. Third, he skates in a straight line which will be easily shut down by NHL defencemen. Therefore, I just feel he needs to go work on his game in juniors for another year than go to the AHL before joining the big leagues.

Well I watched both games and paid close attention to Jake the whole time so it's pretty easy to disagree with these statements. Either you don't watch the games or have a very different definition of "using your line-mates well". Tuesday he was excellent in all aspects of the game, Wed he was not as good but still moved the puck well on most shifts.

Can't take your opinion seriously if you honestly believe what you just posted.

Edited by uselessstats

You realize Strome played last night too right? Did you see him do anything special?

Alot of people think he could slot in for Arizona next season too,

You can't take one game as a determining factor for if a player is ready or not. He played great the night before (one of the best players on the ice next to Point), not so much the next night. Lets see what he can do during Canucks camp before saying he's not ready.

Lol no kidding. I saw one shift where Konency took the puck one-on-one against a Russian defender and did some pretty but useless drag the puck through his legs move that resulted in a weak backhander that hit the side of the net.

Based on that poster's criteria, Konency can't use his linemates either and plays a selfish game.

Lol no kidding. I saw one shift where Konency took the puck one-on-one against a Russian defender and did some pretty but useless drag the puck through his legs move that resulted in a weak backhander that hit the side of the net.

Based on that poster's criteria, Konency can't use his linemates either and plays a selfish game.

U heard it here first. Konency is not ready! ;)

I'm sorry I don't see what you guys see in Virtanen. Honestly, I watched him last night, in overtime him taking the puck trying to beat two russian defenders only to high stick one in the face. You guys need to start being a bit more realistic, it's much better if he develops properly in juniors before giving him a shot in the NHL.

I find you obnoxious.

Been feeling that way for a while now.

I think they're going to swap Virtanen and whichever of Grenier, Kenins or Gaunce they deem worthy in/out of the lineup to extend his 9 games until the WJC, lone Virtanen out and then make a call on him when he gets back. If he shows steady improvement, he stays up. If not he finishes the year in Jr.

I agree, except that I am pretty sure he can finish the year in the A. Which is probably a better option for someone with that physicality and need to gain endurance.

I agree, except that I am pretty sure he can finish the year in the A. Which is probably a better option for someone with that physicality and need to gain endurance.

I don't think he can play in the AHL this coming season until his junior team is finished, the same as this past season. The agreement between the NHL and CHL is that no player signed by an NHL team can play in the minors unless he turns 20 by Dec 31 of the season in question or has completed 4 NHL seasons. http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/2012/8/1/3213217/bruins-nhl-chl-ahl-agreement-CBA-talks-2012

Virtanen had completed 3 seasons in the WHL and won't turn 20 until after the 2015-16 season is completed.

He did play 9 WHL games in the regular season and 5 in the playoffs in 2011-12. I don't know the definition of a season in the agreement so if those 14 games is sufficient to be a season he could play in the AHL, otherwise he's back to Jr. I'm expecting that 9 regular season and 5 playoff games is not sufficient to constitute a season under the agreement.

I don't think he will make the team. First, Benning has zero room for him and if he did make room he will end up getting fleeced in another trade. Second, Virtanen still doesn't know how to use his line-mates well. Third, he skates in a straight line which will be easily shut down by NHL defencemen. Therefore, I just feel he needs to go work on his game in juniors for another year than go to the AHL before joining the big leagues.

Actually, Benning has left a spot open for Virtanen or some other prospect to make the club. The likely players among the pros signed by the Canucks to make the team this season are Hank, Daniel, Burrows, Sutter, Horvat, Vey, Vrbata, Baertschi, Higgins, Hansen, Dorsett, Prust, Kenins, Edler, Tanev, Hamhuis, Weber, Bartkowski, Sbisa, Corrado, Miller, Markstrom. That makes 22 and they have room for 23 on the roster.

Edited by tyhee
  • Upvote 1

I'm sorry I don't see what you guys see in Virtanen. Honestly, I watched him last night, in overtime him taking the puck trying to beat two russian defenders only to high stick one in the face. You guys need to start being a bit more realistic, it's much better if he develops properly in juniors before giving him a shot in the NHL.

He's a 6th overall pick. He's physically ready. At the very least, get him the 9 games.

People weren't sold on Horvat either. Blah blah blah he was the exception whatever. Virtanen needs some experience. Who knows maybe he takes the opportunity and runs with it.

Hmm lets see....he's only 18 and he'd already be our fastest skater, hardest hitter, 3rd in shot probably behind Vrbata and Sutter and hands would only be behind Sedins, Vrbata, Baertschi and Vey who are purely skilled players...

He's also already atleast as good defensively as Kassian was..