The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

That's my take as well.

Jake was always looking for the open guy to pass to and his assist was a perfect pass with just the right weight/speed on the pass.

Jake is going to look good with the Sedins....

...my prediction he gets some time on the first line by the end of the season after ripping up the preseason making it impossible to send him down.

Don't know if he's a good fit with the Sedins, but he will stand out in camp because of his physicality and speed, to no one's surprise really.

He fed some nice setup passes last night that were not converted. His TOI seemed to be less than the his first game. Love his stare

down on a couple of Russians.

I am not a big fan of young players jumping direct to the NHL. I am rethinking Virtanen's upcoming season. He can be so physically

dominating that another year in junior might not help his hockey skills as he could rely to much on his size. If he can get enough TOI as a Canuck it might work better. There are enough vets on the Canucks that could mentor his skills and approach. Virtanen has the potential to be a core of the new culture that Benning is obviously building.

• Upvote 2

I just don't want him rushed. If WD likes him and plans to use him then he's ready. If WD plans on giving him 5mins a game sends him back.

Also I'm glad to see that the hit in prospects camp didn't result into anything more than bumps and bruises.

18 lbs in 2-3 months? Wow

Its hard for a person in normal every day life to lose 18 lbs. For an elite athlete, training 3 to 6 hours, 4 to 6 days a week its not a big stretch t all.

Training that often at high intensity > its easy. Its actually harder not to overtrain; lose muscle mass & explosive energy while doing it.

I don't think he will make the team. First, Benning has zero room for him and if he did make room he will end up getting fleeced in another trade. Second, Virtanen still doesn't know how to use his line-mates well. Third, he skates in a straight line which will be easily shut down by NHL defencemen. Therefore, I just feel he needs to go work on his game in juniors for another year than go to the AHL before joining the big leagues.

Edited by desiboynux4lifee*******

I don't think he will make the team. First, Benning has zero room for him and if he did make room he will end up getting fleeced in another trade. Second, Virtanen still doesn't know how to use his line-mates well. Third, he skates in a straight line which will be easily shut down by NHL defencemen. Therefore, I just feel he needs to go work on his game in juniors for another year than go to the AHL before joining the big leagues.

Well that settles it. Virtanen's pretty much on the team then.

I swear to God that you are only on CDC just to stir up the pot.

• Upvote 1

I swear to God that you are only on CDC just to stir up the pot.

I'm sorry I don't see what you guys see in Virtanen. Honestly, I watched him last night, in overtime him taking the puck trying to beat two russian defenders only to high stick one in the face. You guys need to start being a bit more realistic, it's much better if he develops properly in juniors before giving him a shot in the NHL.

Edited by desiboynux4lifee*******

I'm sorry I don't see what you guys see in Virtanen. Honestly, I watched him last night, in overtime him taking the puck trying to beat two russian defenders only to high stick one in the face. You guys need to start being a bit more realistic, it's much better if he develops properly in juniors before giving him a shot in the NHL.

You realize Strome played last night too right? Did you see him do anything special?

Alot of people think he could slot in for Arizona next season too,

You can't take one game as a determining factor for if a player is ready or not. He played great the night before (one of the best players on the ice next to Point), not so much the next night. Lets see what he can do during Canucks camp before saying he's not ready.

I cam across interesting rankings on NHL.Com where they had 3 writers and 3 scouts rank top 60 prospects last year (2014),

The interesting part is that 4 out of 6 writer/scouts placed Jake ahead of Bo in their rankings. I wonder how much higher Bo would have ranked if they realized the top end speed that he picked up during that off season:

Here is the article:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=729655

Edited by Darius71

I cam across interesting rankings on NHL.Com where they had 3 writers and 3 scouts rank top 60 prospects last year (2014),

The interesting part is that 4 out of 6 writer/scouts placed Jake ahead of Bo in their rankings. I wonder how much higher Bo would have ranked if they realized the top end speed that he picked up during that off season:

Here is the article:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=729655

surprising to see brendan gaunce's name on a couple of those lists.