The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I think Sutter has played well and looked fine with the Sedins, but I bet they'll scratch McCann in a back-to-back, so putting Sutter back at C only makes sense depth-wise. It'll be good to see how he looks as a center as well, so Desjardins knows what cards he has to play, plus who isn't dreaming of a

Burrows - Sutter - Hansen line?

Honestly, I didn't think McCann looked great today, and Burr had to bail him out a couple times at least. Saying that, I'd rather have Prust scratched and a little offense injected. But, LA could very well be a grinder, so scratching McCann might make more sense.

Anyway, I'm rambling about nothing. Main point is that I hope Virt dresses next game and plays with Horvat & Baer.

Baerstchi was again meh. If Virtanen doesn't slot in next game, I'm gonna rip that ugly stache off Willie's face

Agreed, Baertchi really hasn't shown a whole lot. The writings on the wall on McCann sitting, back to back against Cali teams. Id rather see Prust or Baertchi be sat and see what Jake can do

Baerstchi was again meh. If Virtanen doesn't slot in next game, I'm gonna rip that ugly stache off Willie's face

Agreed, Baertchi really hasn't shown a whole lot. The writings on the wall on McCann sitting, back to back against Cali teams. Id rather see Prust or Baertchi be sat and see what Jake can do

Baer's been fine (making lots of nice plays/passes) but that 2nd line needs a forechecking presence. You can't have two similar players in Baer/Vrbata on the same line. WD made the right call swapping Baer and Burr. Vrbata's had a few goals set up for him on platters that he's shot wide. He's gotta start burying those.

If McCann stays in with Virt playing:

Sedin, Sedin, Sutter

Burrows, Horvat, Vrbata

Baer, McCann, Hansen

Dorsett/Prust, Cracknell, Virtanen

Edited by J.R.

Baertchi was ok in his 1st 2 games, last nights game, everyone was medicore except for Tanev Hamhius and Miller, everyone else was kinda equal.

I'd like to see Virt play too, but there's still lots he can learn just from being around and practising with the team. I'm much more comfortable with his development being managed 100% by the Canucks than a team owned by the Calgary Flames.

Blake Price Retweeted Stefan Virtanen

Older brother breaking news..

Blake Price added,

Stefan Virtanen @virtanen27
@Jake_Virtanen good luck in your NHL debut tonight #proud #GoTime
1 retweet1 favorite
Retweet
Favorite
More

Has to be McCann or Baertschi coming out

Jake comes across to me as a very green, young boy in a big man's body. I think the team needs to be very careful in how they bring him along. He has some awesome talent and he just might end up being a very good power forward, but could also end up a 3rd line grinder if not managed properly.

I think that being with the team has been good for him, despite the fact that he isn't playing much. There are just as many things for him to learn about being an NHL player off the ice as on the ice. Vancouver is a wild hockey market that can get out of hand for a young, unsuspecting prospect.

It looks like they will develop him slowly and not give him more than he can chew at any given time. Gotta make sure this quarter horse doesn't turn into a plow horse.

• Upvote 3