The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

There are three narratives which I will be paying close attention to through Virtanen's first 9 games:

Penalties:

Virtanen has always been, and likely always will be, a guy who collects a lot of PIMs. At times he has been criticized for taking bad penalties. And these penalties are not always a product of his physicality. Oddly enough, as a fast winger with less defensive responsibility he does tend to take quite a few hooking and holding penalties. I think his penalty differential will be something to keep an eye on. If he is taking a lot more than he is drawing, I think it could hurt his chances of staying with the team passed 9 games.

Neutral Zone Decisions:

This relates to the ill-defined "hockey IQ" and Virtanen's defensive abilities. At times in the preseason Virtanen has made very nice, quick, moves and passes to advance the puck through the neutral zone (think with Horvat). However, at other times he has made suicide passes that have resulted in goals or bad turnovers (SJ game). These decisions can either really help or really hurt hurt his chances of staying longer. One other thing in this category which will be interesting to watch is how often Virtanen gets caught out of position on the back-check. During his junior career, I have often noticed that Virtanen might go for a big hit when fore-checking which puts him out of position on the back-check through the neutral zone. In junior, his speed advantage often allowed him to make up the gap, but in the faster NHL it will be interesting to see if he gets caught up ice.

Physicality:

One of the popular narratives on CDC (especially when comparing Virtanen to Ehlers or Nylander) is that Virtanen does other things (AKA plays physical) when he isn't creating offense. No doubt Virtanen is a very physical player, but from my experience he can disappear for shifts and periods. I've seen Virtanen play in about 25 live WHL games (and of course AHL playoffs, WJC, and NHL pre-season) and I have noticed sometimes he isn't physical or offensive or really involved in any way even when I was specifically watching out for him. Now this is often common for junior players (especially highly skilled ones who can afford to take a shift or two off) and I don't think it is cause for concern in the long run. But as for his first 9 games, I will be paying close attention to see if he can play that 4th line energy role where he is called upon after sitting for a while to supply energy through his physicality.

Question: Why are some people spending this much effort to be a douche about this particular prospect?

What is there to gain, exactly? I've always wondered.

• Upvote 3

^

1. Yep he takes too many penalties, but you don't want to stifle his physical play. We will have one of the best penalty kills in the league yet again and our PK may actually have gotten better this year.

2. He's still noticeably one of the fastest players on the ice and his backcheck is good.

3. He keeps his shifts short and doesn't get caught out there on rubber legs.

Gaunce is soon behind as well. Shinkaruk and grenier next season possibly. You need to have some vets in the line up.

Yes. But its not truly a "rebuild" until the old core is gone and the new one is competitive. The season hasn't even started yet and we've just added three rookies. Like I said, I'm excited too, but let's not get carried away.

There are three narratives which I will be paying close attention to through Virtanen's first 9 games:

Penalties:

Virtanen has always been, and likely always will be, a guy who collects a lot of PIMs. At times he has been criticized for taking bad penalties. And these penalties are not always a product of his physicality. Oddly enough, as a fast winger with less defensive responsibility he does tend to take quite a few hooking and holding penalties. I think his penalty differential will be something to keep an eye on. If he is taking a lot more than he is drawing, I think it could hurt his chances of staying with the team passed 9 games.

Neutral Zone Decisions:

This relates to the ill-defined "hockey IQ" and Virtanen's defensive abilities. At times in the preseason Virtanen has made very nice, quick, moves and passes to advance the puck through the neutral zone (think with Horvat). However, at other times he has made suicide passes that have resulted in goals or bad turnovers (SJ game). These decisions can either really help or really hurt hurt his chances of staying longer. One other thing in this category which will be interesting to watch is how often Virtanen gets caught out of position on the back-check. During his junior career, I have often noticed that Virtanen might go for a big hit when fore-checking which puts him out of position on the back-check through the neutral zone. In junior, his speed advantage often allowed him to make up the gap, but in the faster NHL it will be interesting to see if he gets caught up ice.

Physicality:

One of the popular narratives on CDC (especially when comparing Virtanen to Ehlers or Nylander) is that Virtanen does other things (AKA plays physical) when he isn't creating offense. No doubt Virtanen is a very physical player, but from my experience he can disappear for shifts and periods. I've seen Virtanen play in about 25 live WHL games (and of course AHL playoffs, WJC, and NHL pre-season) and I have noticed sometimes he isn't physical or offensive or really involved in any way even when I was specifically watching out for him. Now this is often common for junior players (especially highly skilled ones who can afford to take a shift or two off) and I don't think it is cause for concern in the long run. But as for his first 9 games, I will be paying close attention to see if he can play that 4th line energy role where he is called upon after sitting for a while to supply energy through his physicality.

Good luck with that. I'll just watch the games and not be as expectant and critical....

I hope you're not expecting anyone to actually take your critique serious.

Edited by The Lock

Penalties:

Neutral Zone Decisions:

Physicality:

You put so much effort into criticising a 19 year old.

Just sit back and enjoy the game instead of being a wannabe scout/talent evaluator.

• Upvote 1

It's OK, he thought Sutter was a mistake too.

I know we love to pretend we are all knowing hockey guys, but really we are just super fans with our own biased opinions. The poster in question is entitled to his judgements (even though they are completely WRONG) just the same as the rest of us. Jake was the best pick at six, and that's that.

Right, if someone draws the critic points of a prospect, he's a troll, good riddance.

If someone says good about a prospect, you're deemed non-troll and you'll be thought as the wise one.

Sigh.

Edited by Odd.
  • Upvote 3

Right, if someone draws the critic points of a prospect, he's a troll, good riddance.

If someone says good about a prospect, you're deemed non-troll and you'll be thought as the wise one.

Sigh.

It's a Canucks fan board. What do you expect? Plus, you're way off on Jake. He's a big, tough, skilled super skating power forward of which there is no other from his draft. We were lucky he fell to us.

I'm excited too, but adding 3 rookies does not constitute a seamless rebuild.

Yeah I know, I just meant there are more to come. 3 more may join next year. The presence of vets allows them some people they can learn from.

Question: Why are some people spending this much effort to be a douche about this particular prospect?

What is there to gain, exactly? I've always wondered.

Likewise, what is there to gain from overhyping someone who simply hasn't played well?