The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I want Jake to succeed but I was kind of disappointed with his hockey sense last night. When he doesn't have the puck, especially in the d-zone, he looks lost out there. Good news is that can be coached easily. Really want to see a extended look with Horvat as his centre but it seems Willie wants to spread the youth out through out the lineup.

Ideally I want the club to accelerate the rebuild by trading Vrbata, Higgins, and Hamhuis. Then ride the young guys for the whole year with Gaunce and Vey as call ups. But that seems like a pipedream.

I want Jake to succeed but I was kind of disappointed with his hockey sense last night. When he doesn't have the puck, especially in the d-zone, he looks lost out there. Good news is that can be coached easily. Really want to see a extended look with Horvat as his centre but it seems Willie wants to spread the youth out through out the lineup.

Ideally I want the club to accelerate the rebuild by trading Vrbata, Higgins, and Hamhuis. Then ride the young guys for the whole year with Gaunce and Vey as call ups. But that seems like a pipedream.

Huh, can't say I agree with this at all. "Lost"? What play was he not in the right spot or place on the ice? As the winger he has a section of ice from the point down to about the face off circle that he is responsible for. I thought he stuck to to his area pretty consistently and didn't wander out of position or chasing the puck carrier. He had a couple of blocks at the point and transitioned the puck out well.

What exactly made his play look "lost" to you?

I thought he was fine. Especially in the first period. He did his job, got in shooting lanes and even blocked a shot. He seemed to stay in position quite well and the Dman always had a hard time finding a shot.

I think if there's one thing he needs to work on its breaking out with the puck. he tries to force things himself sometimes and turns it over. Pretty normal for a kid fresh out of junior though.

Edited by thad

Huh, can't say I agree with this at all. "Lost"? What play was he not in the right spot or place on the ice? As the winger he has a section of ice from the point down to about the face off circle that he is responsible for. I thought he stuck to to his area pretty consistently and didn't wander out of position or chasing the puck carrier. He had a couple of blocks at the point and transitioned the puck out well.

Same. I was actually happy to see him not 'chasing' in the D zone as a lot of kids do. The only critique I might say as he looked to not have his feet moving as much as vets normally do but that's a pretty minor nit to pick and with his speed isn't of great concern anyway.

He didn't blow me away but for his first game, with limited minutes, he looked just fine. Her actually made one really nice pass (I think in the second) that caught my attention. Also did the right things to draw that penalty.

Edited by J.R.

That line up would look good when Higgins comes back, place him on the 3rd line in Dorsett's spot and its a pretty good line. I think Virt will be on the 4th line tonight. Expect him to get around 10 or 11 mins toi.

Virt got 9:18 TOI, Canucks had to kill 3 consecutive penalties in the 3rd period while protecting a lead. Not sure why so many people complaining about his ice time. This is normal and expected.
The kid had a good game, postitive experience and another game to look forward to. Imagine his mistake led to a goal by the Kings, then he'd be planted to the bench, team might have lost and his confidence goes in the gutter. No need for all that. They'll bring him along slowly just like they did with Bo Horvat. McCann didn't play much in th 3rd period against ANA either(another close game), I think he had less than 20 secs. in the 3rd period.
  • Upvote 1

Agreed

I've seen the he looked lost comments a few times now and I agree with the posters above that he was playing decent positionally. I do agree that he comes to a complete stop in some situations and that he should maybe stay on the move a little more, but when he needs to start skating he goes like he's been shot out of a cannon anyways, so it's not a big deal.

I'd be more worried if he was chasing and getting into other peoples lanes. Even with an empty net last night he didn't go crazy trying to over pursue and get an easy goal, he backed off and kept the play in front of him.

I've seen the he looked lost comments a few times now and I agree with the posters above that he was playing decent positionally. I do agree that he comes to a complete stop in some situations and that he should maybe stay on the move a little more, but when he needs to start skating he goes like he's been shot out of a cannon anyways, so it's not a big deal.

I'd be more worried if he was chasing and getting into other peoples lanes. Even with an empty net last night he didn't go crazy trying to over pursue and get an easy goal, he backed off and kept the play in front of him.

Yup, I thought he played a very controlled game, which is contrary to many peoples concern that he would get caught up in the emotion and take bad penalties or get out of position. Well done by Jake. Sadly on CDC its damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Edit: not to mention he had a real nice hit on Doughty, which is impressive, doughty is a master at evading pressure and hits.

Edited by Knucklehd
  • Upvote 1

Agree with both posts above. "Lost" typically occurs when a player starts chasing the puck and leaves his "part of the ice" uncovered. For wingers that is most often by chasing too low below the face off dot or behind the goal line. As we all agree Jake actually did a good job of letting the D man or centre take the man down low while he remained higher along the boards to either pick up the puck when it came free or to charge the point and block the shooting lane. The fact that he didn't move his feet much doesn't worry me because ultimately he was in the correct position most times and so had no need to move around. Moving for moving sake isn't good defense, being in position and skating hard to the puck (when it's your job to) is good defense.

This isn't to say Jake won't have bad nights or need to tighten things up some games but for last night specifically I thought he was quite good. By comparison, McCann made several questionable decisions with the puck coming out of the d zone in the Anaheim game and I didn't read much about him "looking lost". Sometimes I think people just see what they want to see with Jake and find reasons to justify his "low iq" tag.

Stubborn Willie Desjardins, doesn't figure it out that Horvat is not working with Vrbata and Baesrtchi, why not go with a line that dominated in the pre-season, instead Willie just ignores this fact that the line of Bart Horvat Virtanen has some potiental, hell give it a try why don't you Willie?

So far in the young season- Baertschi has been a disapointment and Horvat in the last two games has been invisible. It shows he is not getting the right line mates who understand his tendencies.

yes were winning but how long can willie rely on Cracknell to score? time will come and reality will hit this team.

Edited by desiboynux4lifee*******

Stubborn Willie Desjardins, doesn't figure it out that Horvat is not working with Vrbata and Baesrtchi, why not go with a line that dominated in the pre-season, instead Willie just ignores this fact that the line of Bart Horvat Virtanen has some potiental, hell give it a try why don't you Willie?

So far in the young season- Baertschi has been a disapointment and Horvat in the last two games has been invisible. It shows he is not getting the right line mates who understand his tendencies.

yes were winning but how long can willie rely on Cracknell to score? time will come and reality will hit this team.

That line dominated the Oilers...the friggin Oilers.

Too much youth could break this team's success. I would much rather have the organization in a position of "having to make space" for a kid who earns a spot in a big way (Horvat, McCann, Hutton) than just give those spots away.

Edited by Me_